Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 bronco with cammed 351w. Longtube headers with a single super 10 that exits out the side in front of my passenger rear wheel.
My question is, how loud will this set up be and if it is loud is there a muffler I can put in that would fit between the outside of the truck and the frame rail. Also engine is going to be making around 300hp. Also excuse my welds. I've laid about 3 feet of welds in my whole life.
unnamed.jpg

·
Premium Member
1987 Bronco 351W, C6
1,298 Posts
Reviews I've seen describe these as similar to glass packs for noise. The 10s I think are single chamber, as the Super 44s are four chamber. Little more complicated than this but, more chambers=more sound reduction.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The cam will make it a little louder at idle. Im running a gibson mwa muffler on my bronco and its nice and deep without being too loud. The gibson mwa only has a single tube in the muffler with hardly any baffling

B36A4965-8A5B-4920-AD74-523D2E63BABE.jpeg

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reviews I've seen describe these as similar to glass packs for noise. The 10s I think are single chamber, as the Super 44s are four chamber. Little more complicated than this but, more chambers=more sound reduction.
Ok well ill run it and take a video. And post it up. I may be able to get decimal readings as well.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,743 Posts
3 ft ? Welds look damn good in my book!! And no there is no such thing as too load!!

·
Man of endless projects
9,226 Posts
there is defiantly a point of too loud but most dont daily driver open headers. its when you get tinnitus from jsut driving for a distance. and cant hear when the engine is falling apart. there is also drone which can drive you mad if its at a bad point but thats different story. but that can make you hate an exhaust. mine use to drone terribly at idle and it made me replace the whole exhaust. ive also killed couple engines in my 88 because i couldnt even hear the rod knocking before it got impatient and barged through the block

looks like dual 2.5 into 3" Y? theres alot of vehicles driving with straight pipe 2.5" dual and 3" single exhaust. i think you will be fine. if not put a better muffler on.

whats done to engine. most cams that make any significant sound difference are usually too aggressive for truck useage.

dont run into many vehicles running long tubes but using single exhaust.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3"w/cat & magnaflow 3" side exit
144 Posts
I have long tubes on my 5.0EFI and recently went from flowmasters that had turndowns that was horrible sounding, way too loud. The reverb off the cement was so loud, the drone was rediculious. I realized how bad it was when I drove over a drawbridge that was an open grate, and suddenly it wasn't bouncing back off the pavement so loud & I liked it. It was time for an exhaust change, so I had a 2 1/2" into 3" Y-pipe made in one section, then a cat & a big single 3" Walker muffler (i asked for Magnaflow) in a removeable center section, then it goes over the axle and exits 3" in the stock location behind the rear passenger tire.

It sounds pretty good, not too loud at all, but just loud enough to be noticed. Just right in my opinion. I think I am going to make a new center section with no cat, & try out a 3" magnaflow (like i asked for) cuz it could be a bit louder, and it feels a bit restricted with the cat & I feel that the cat is gonna get clogged soon, as i have no air pump or emissions equipment on the truck. The cat was kind of a test to see how it worked & I like to waste money on stupid things like that....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Is there such a thing as a too loud truck?
on my daily it is. I'll be swapping out the glasspacks for something quieter in the near future on my 86. Now, my 82 has dual 3" straight pipes coming from the 513ci. It is a new definition of loud. and my diesel has a 4" turbo back with a resonator, not too bad unless you get into it, then it is pretty loud. On my 71 I'll put dumps, similiar to the selectable exhaust on the current mustang. may even go with an exhaust from a new one.

Reactions: biggum

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,984 Posts
Something like a Flowmaster Pro Series may fit where you are wnating it to, while also cutting down on the noise/drone you are bound to get with the 10 series.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,074 Posts
is your exhaust already set up to exit in front of the passenger side rear wheel?? Had mine like that for about 15 minutes and hated it..way too loud..I'm also running a soft top so that might have contributed..regardless, I've got equal lenght BBKs going into a single 2 1/2 inch pipe, then to a magnaflow and finally exiting in the factory location..It's got just enough growl when I get on it, but it's not annoyingly loud..

Reactions: Frank Lanzisera

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is your exhaust already set up to exit in front of the passenger side rear wheel?? Had mine like that for about 15 minutes and hated it..way too loud..I'm also running a soft top so that might have contributed..regardless, I've got equal lenght BBKs going into a single 2 1/2 inch pipe, then to a magnaflow and finally exiting in the factory location..It's got just enough growl when I get on it, but it's not annoyingly loud..
How big is your magnaflow muffler? Because i could put another muffler on and run it too the back. Or are you saying that if i keep the super 10 and just run pipe all the way back it will be quieter than side dump.😂

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there is defiantly a point of too loud but most dont daily driver open headers. its when you get tinnitus from jsut driving for a distance. and cant hear when the engine is falling apart. there is also drone which can drive you mad if its at a bad point but thats different story. but that can make you hate an exhaust. mine use to drone terribly at idle and it made me replace the whole exhaust. ive also killed couple engines in my 88 because i couldnt even hear the rod knocking before it got impatient and barged through the block

looks like dual 2.5 into 3" Y? theres alot of vehicles driving with straight pipe 2.5" dual and 3" single exhaust. i think you will be fine. if not put a better muffler on.

whats done to engine. most cams that make any significant sound difference are usually too aggressive for truck useage.

dont run into many vehicles running long tubes but using single exhaust.
The cam is pretty aggressive but im running a 2500 stall converter wirh 4.10 gears and proflo 4 on the engine and a HGM trans controller. The exhaust is all 2.5in so dual in a single 2.5 in exiting like this.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,074 Posts
How big is your magnaflow muffler? Because i could put another muffler on and run it too the back. Or are you saying that if i keep the super 10 and just run pipe all the way back it will be quieter than side dump.😂
I've got a regular sized magnaflow..not sure which model specifically..I'd have to hear what that super10 sounds like, but yes, you could probably keep it and run it out the back and find it's less noisy..

Reactions: HoustonBronco
1 - 20 of 37 Posts