Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question or two and hope someone can help.

First, I have an '87 fs Bronco XLT, 302, C6, all stock (as far as I know).

My questions are:
Is there a way to check/test the cooling fan clutch?
Shouldn't the fan free spin when engine isn't running? Mine has a lot of resistance and has no free spin.

I'm working on getting my fuel economy as high as possible and I understand if the clutch is bad it can ruin your econ.
As soon as I can afford it I will be switching to an electric cooling fan, for fuel econ and to get back the HP it takes to run the fan now.

Thanks and have a good remainder of your weekend.

·
marvel at my........
1,730 Posts
do what i just done dude,...... buy a flexalite fan with 3" spacers,... you will need custom bolts,... around 4"-5" long,.... it works for me!,... also makes your truck sound like a boeing 747 on takeoff!:rockon:toothless:histerica:rockon:drinkbud:beer

·
Registered
290 Posts
A quick answer to your question is no. It is not supposed to have free spin. All the ones I have ever owned have had some resistance. I would hazard the notion that if your clutch fan set up does spin freely, as in one finger gets it going very easily, than your set up is too weak. I suppose I could be wrong, I am just going on my personal exeriences...Good luck though..:thumbup

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do what i just done dude,...... buy a flexalite fan with 3" spacers,... you will need custom bolts,... around 4"-5" long,.... it works for me!,... also makes your truck sound like a boeing 747 on takeoff!:rockon:toothless:histerica:rockon:drinkbud:beer
I'll just wait until I get an electric fan. Flex fans are ok but the don't give to back the HP to run any fan or the mileage.

For now I just want to be sure the clutch is working right and if not I'll find one at a wrecker. What I need is an idea of how to test the clutch.

Thanks for the info/idea though. I appreciate you taking the time.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
With a gentle push, you should be able to spin the fan. If it's locked up, or VERY tight, the clutch is probably done for.

Steve83 has posted a full TSB or a writeup on testing your fan clutch, try searching for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a gentle push, you should be able to spin the fan. If it's locked up, or VERY tight, the clutch is probably done for.

Steve83 has posted a full TSB or a writeup on testing your fan clutch, try searching for it.
Thanks for the info, the TSB by Steve83 was what I was looking for. I searched for an hour and never found it before I posted. Having the name of the poster helped, Thx.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts