Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed my truck doesnt have a fan shroud ,,i am curious about this for everyday driving in hot florida weather?

my old 78 chevy would get hot without one .

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
By seeing your truck in other posts it looks like the reason you dont have a fan shroud is because of a body lift. if you find a shroud you might have to mod it to make it work with the body lift. in my oppinon rig up an electric fan and toss the stock one. Search "tauras fan"

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get rid of the ?

By seeing your truck in other posts it looks like the reason you dont have a fan shroud is because of a body lift. if you find a shroud you might have to mod it to make it work with the body lift. in my oppinon rig up an electric fan and toss the stock one. Search "tauras fan"
get rid of the engine powered fan? and put in just a taurus fan ?

huh never heard such a thing ,sounds interesting ,my fan is all chewed up on the ends anywy.

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Its a cheap mod and fits good. just go to the junkyard and find one. im not positive on the years of cars to get them from though:thumbup

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i searched and saw a few mods,,most say a 3.8 litre fan puller from a torous

but you can disasemble the engine fan ? this i couldnt get info on .!?

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
i assume you mean unbolt it from the waterpump and take off the v belt?:shrug

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
i noticed my truck doesnt have a fan shroud ,,i am curious about this for everyday driving in hot florida weather?

my old 78 chevy would get hot without one .
Yes you need a shroud, whether it's stock or electric, especially in a hotter climate. Heat is your motors enemy.

The electric fan is a nice upgrade as the fan can work at fulll capacity even when the engine is idling and the stock belt run fans have a fair amount of parasitic drag on the motor you are freeing up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool how hard is it to hook up the switch that runs the torous fan and is it easy to take out of the junkyard tarous?
can you just run a on/off switch to your batt and not use the relay if its difficult

seems weird in the mod pics.

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
You can hook it up to a temp sensor to turn on when the motor gets hot or you can hook it up to a toggle switch to run manually. Its no harder than wiring fog lights:thumbup

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
I would recommend you hook it to a temp sensor even if you want to run an override switch too.

I wouldn't want to trust myself to always be fully aware of my running temperature.

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
You might find a complete install and all the parts youll need in the Install/Tech Write Up section. You can search there too

·
Registered
444 Posts

http://www.haydenauto.com/catalogs/hayden/2007-hayden-electric-fans.pdf

I use A pair of the #3651's to control 2 Taurus fans running on high speed on my 460.

I have separate toggle switches for each fan.

I have the "main" fan set to come on at 195*, the "aux" fan is set to come on at 205* , or whenever the A/C is on. I turn the main fan off in the winter and use the aux fan so the heater runs hotter. Unless you're idling for a couple minutes, the fans never run in the winter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Being that you are in florida I would say get a fan shroud and a stock ford clutch fan..Nice and reliable(no electric controller to go out on ya) and it'll keep it nice and cool. K.I.S.S.

·
Registered
712 Posts
One thing no one mentions is that with a taurus fan you'll need a more powerful alternator, as the stock one is barely sufficient for running headlights and blower on high at the same time. Also, if you want the ultimate cooling, install a Lincoln Mark VIII fan assembly - 4800cfm on high setting, IIRC the Taurus is no more than 4200, if even that much.

·
Registered
444 Posts
One thing no one mentions is that with a taurus fan you'll need a more powerful alternator, as the stock one is barely sufficient for running headlights and blower on high at the same time. Also, if you want the ultimate cooling, install a Lincoln Mark VIII fan assembly - 4800cfm on high setting, IIRC the Taurus is no more than 4200, if even that much.

Yeah, you'll need to upgrade to a 3G alternator. I can run 1 fan at a time and it cools my 460 with A/C in the hot Arkansas summer just fine. If you do a little searching, you can find plenty of arguments on electric fan vs engine driven fan. I think if you want engine driven then a Mototcraft fan-clutch with a shroud is the best set-up.If you decide electric and you can find a Lincoln Mark VIII in the junkyard, then use that fan. Where I've looked, the Tauras fan is a lot easier to find.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cool thanks ,,i like the pics ,but i can see where just bolting on a fan shroud would be easier,and cheaper,and as effective.
it also seems that the draw from the fan could be a issue when and if your alt goes out and you need to get out on the battery .or if the battery dies the alt will get wacked from the high voltage draw.

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
The previous owner probably removed the fan shroud when he installed the body lift instead of fabing brackets to drop the shroud down. large body lifts will give you problems with the fan shroud. I see that your fan is toward the lower half of yor radiator instead of being centered

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea i got some tie straps ,and some wire hangers in the closet .
give me about 20 minutes and itll pass race inspections.lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts