Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I pulled out of a driveway, and had a mini-van coming at me...I put the accelerator to the floor...and heard a pop, and then every time I hit the gas there was an awful rattling noise. Couldn't for the life of me tell what the sound was...................come to find out, the bottom part of my fan shroud broke, and my fan was hitting it ...apparently the fan had enough suction at high RPMs to pull the broken shroud up into it.

Here's my question....have any of you heard of any problems (i.e. cooling) with 1/2 the shroud gone, or should I just cut the bottom off the rest of the way and not worry about it? (Duct tape is ALWAYS a viable option.........for anything!) :toothless

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
7,006 Posts
I drilled two holes in the bottom of the shroud, slipped a zip tie through them and went around the sway bar. For some reason the shroud is warped on the 88 and would hit the fan at certain angles.

Also, I've read that when motor mounts are wearing out this can happen.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
248 Posts
It shouldn't be an issue. I just replaced mine. There was two shrouds available for my Bronco - one for regular cooling, one for super cooling. I had a slight "hot" problem on mine until I replaced the shroud, now it runs good. You can do like the above post says and zip tie it - or buy a new one as they aren't very expensive.

Joel

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JFordBronco said:
It shouldn't be an issue. I just replaced mine. There was two shrouds available for my Bronco - one for regular cooling, one for super cooling. I had a slight "hot" problem on mine until I replaced the shroud, now it runs good. You can do like the above post says and zip tie it - or buy a new one as they aren't very expensive.

Joel
There isn't enough left to zip tie it, unfortunately. I'll have to pick up a new one. Hmmmm....maybe I'll upgrade the fan while I'm in there.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
A few times I have seen fan shrouds cracking within 1000 miles of a body lift being installed. The shroud gets lowered down by this bracket to make it still have the fan centered in the opening and I guess the air going through the shroud from under and through the radiator vibrates them in to cracking. It happened on my 94 F150 and a friends 96 F250. Both cracked in the same spots right after installing a body lift

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine looks like it may have been warped up into the fan...I'll try and get some pics of it tomorrow.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
JFordBronco said:

Joel
Where'd you find a "super cooling" shroud?

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
on my old truck after i put the body lift in i actually had to cut the bottom part of the shroud off. i had the stock fan in still and i DID run into cooling issues. i had to put an electric fan on both sides, pusher and puller. just to help keep the truck cool. it was a brand new rad in the truck as well.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Kitty said:
on my old truck after i put the body lift in i actually had to cut the bottom part of the shroud off. i had the stock fan in still and i DID run into cooling issues. i had to put an electric fan on both sides, pusher and puller. just to help keep the truck cool. it was a brand new rad in the truck as well.
You need a fan like this one then. It has no problem at all colling the radiator on the hottest day with the AC going

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
take off the shroud. i haven't had one for over a year. Zero over heating. even in heavy stop&go traffic in 100* weather with the A/C on, it never went past "O" in Normal.

maybe my 2 core rad has something to do with it.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
JFordBronco said:
There was two shrouds available for my Bronco - one for regular cooling, one for super cooling. I had a slight "hot" problem on mine until I replaced the shroud, now it runs good.
Hey Joel, what distinguishes the super cooling shroud from the other; do you have any definitive pics? Did they come stock on anything? In other words, if I knew what to look for, might I find one in a junk yard?

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
redwagon said:
I was told that is the distance between the mounting holes on the top of the shroud...also the thickness the supercooling radiator is thicker so the shroud is thinner...
Oh, so it's supposed to be matched with a different radiator as well? That would make more sense. I couldn't understand why Ford would have different, more effecient design and then choose to produce both.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts