Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a couple of searches and found one thread indicating maybe replacing the fuse for the turn signals under the dash. There wasn't very much discussion though, and though the symptoms are similar, there is something I want to add to it that mine is doing, and pick the professional's brains.

Anywho:

Recently my rear license plate lights died, both at the same time, causing my signals to blink fast. I got it replaced and they still blinked fast. Over the next week or two, they returned slowly to their original pace. However, now, about three weeks later, my left turn signal died last night. I replaced that and it is still blinking fast. Is this something I should just spring the few dollars for a new fuse, or could there be another underlying problem? Maybe it's coincidence I'm getting lights burning out around the same time?

Thank you for your help!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
could be a faulty MFS (multi function switch).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh it isn't? Why did that fix the blinkers flashing faster? That's weird.

·
Banned
7,158 Posts
These trucks don't have the fast-blink feature to indicate a blown bulb. They use a simple thermal flasher, which responds to excess current draw (short circuit, too many bulbs, too much bulb wattage) by blinking faster. Too few bulbs (blown bulbs, broken wires, LEDs) can make them flash SLOWER.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The two are not related. As said, licence lamps aren't part of the turn signal circuit.

Simple test is to swap the hazard and turn signal flashers and see if that corrects it. Hazard flasher is on the backside of the fuse-block.

If you need a new flasher, spend the extra few bucks on the higher quality one, rather than the $4 China one that you'll be changing in a few months again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Steve, I didn't know that. Learn something new every day. You mentioned it is a thermal flasher. Does that mean there is a digital one? Is this a prime opportunity to upgrade it to something better so to speak with minimal work?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts