Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish.
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am skeptical of how many responses i'll get but...

me and another bronco owner are going to barnwell mountain (gilmer, tx) to go off-roading on saturday of father's day weekend. june 19.

the more the merrier. i haven't been off-roading at a park since i sank my bronco and had to get the transmission rebuilt - so maybe 2 or 3 years.

Sleeve Tie Gesture Flash photography Happy

Font News T-shirt Hat Event

Chin Hand Mouth Jaw Gesture

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
How’d it turn out? I live in Longview so Barnwell is close but never been mainly cause my rig is completely stock, somewhat sketchy, and has not driven 45 consecutive minutes before. We had family in yesterday but I’d be interested if you make additional trips. I’m hoping to have the rig upgraded in a few months (maybe end of year) and, being a noob at off-roading, would enjoy piggybacking with some more experienced folks.

Reactions: dash_cam

·
TTB makes me sad
175 Posts
It went well. We only got stuck in a few spots. I was on 33s and dash is stock height. Id recommend sliders at least 33s/35s with preferably a winch (all the rain did a number on the trails). My only trail damage was a busted taillight but i did explode my extension housing on the drive home.

·
Premium Member
1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish.
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How’d it turn out? I live in Longview so Barnwell is close but never been mainly cause my rig is completely stock, somewhat sketchy, and has not driven 45 consecutive minutes before. We had family in yesterday but I’d be interested if you make additional trips. I’m hoping to have the rig upgraded in a few months (maybe end of year) and, being a noob at off-roading, would enjoy piggybacking with some more experienced folks.

I've been off roading stock. Really, it's basically stock now as far as drivetrain, lift, etc goes. You might be surprised what you can accomplish in stock form. It was a little bit of a pain because the maps were 10 years old. Some of the trail ratings have changed but we didn't know if the trails were harder or easier, so we just assumed harder.

Definitely, it helps to go in a group to have someone watch your lines if needed. And it is good to have someone to help you get out if stuck.

I looked barnwell overall, though. Compared to Bridgeport out here in northwest DFW which is all rocks. It's much nicer to bottom out against clay instead!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.