Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm in the market for sound deadening material and was wondering what other alternatives to Dynamat there are. seems to be a good price for fatmat rattle trap extreme, you can get 100 sq feet for $199. How much would it take to do an entire interior of a bronco? any of you use fatmat? how do you like it? how is it holding up?

Thanks in advanced :thumbup

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm using good ole Peel n Seal. Probably not quite as good as The big name stuff, but it definately makes a difference, and cheaper.

I have used it before on a couple of vehicles, and was pleased with the results.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Mine is full of rattle trap XXX. I absolutely love it. Its a great deal for what you get. I did alot of prep. I pulled the entire interior out including the dash and all the wiring and airbag sensors on the passenger side. Then I pressure washed the whole interior. Once it dried out, I layed down 8 or 9 cans of Rustoleum rattle can bedliner. This stuff is fantastic. Its the perfect sealer for the floor, provides and excellent surface profile for the rattle trap to stick to, and is tough as nails. If you use this stuff, stick a fan in the back, wear a respirator, and do a little, then take a break. The fumes are ridiculous and im sure would kill you if you breathed them for long.

Starting point

Bedlined

Heres how mine came out.

Doors

Dash

Front

Back

Side panels

It took 125 sq ft of rattle trap to do everything except the roof. To cover that, You will need another 25 sq ft. So, 150 sq feet for the whole interior. The difference in noise is immediately noticeable. There are basically no rattles of any kind now audible within the cabin. The interior is completely dead. This was a really good upgrade for me, as it was just too noisy inside the cabin. If anyone is considering this, it was well worth the $250 I spent on the rattle trap material. It did take alot of time to install though. I wanna say it took me around 40-50 hours to pull everything out, deal with all the rust, coat the entire interior with bedliner, apply the rattle trap, re-route all the stereo wiring properly, then put in the new rear carpet, clean and strip all the old rotten insulation from the side panels, replace with rattle trap, install the wheel well carpet, and install the rear panels.

on problem areas like the wheel wells and certain spots on the floor, I layed it on 2 or 3 layers thick. I also did the tailgate as well, I just forgot to take any pictures of it.

I can now rock the stereo as loud as it will go without distorting and I have no funny resonance from the body at all. The sound is completely tight with no weird frequencies sticking out.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
You can buy the same stuff at lowes for a lot cheaper.
no you cant. the stuff from lowes is about 15% of the thickness of Rattletrap.

Will Peel&Seal work? absolutely. Just not as good as the Rattle trap. And as far as pricing goes, if you do as much as I did, I think the lowes peel&seal came out more expensive.

and if you want to hear how quiet it is, watch this video.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool deal im going to try the fatmat first and see how it does sounds like a good deal

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
The peel & seal is cheaper, but its only 40 mil or less. the RTXXX is 80 mil. You can tell a big difference, especially when you lay it on 2 or 3 layers deep. I wanted to make mine the best I could afford, and the difference in price was negligible to me. I wanted the best performance. I think I got it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did it have a strong asphalt smell? if so how long did it take to go away?

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
No smell at all. Ive had it thru the heat of summer with no carpet down too. No smell at all from it. It was easy to cut, but get a few good razor knifes and a good roller from lowes, the one that comes with the kit is a POS, so is the roller.

Eventually I am going to do the roof, thats the only source of noise I have now and its not much. Im going to wait to do that till I get my cab cracks fixed and then I will do the headliner and rattle trap at the same time.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet! you think 150 sq ft should do the whole truck?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I used the Fatmack extreme and 125 feet was enough. I didn't do the dash and it is plenty.

No smell. This definitely takes a lot of time though. This was a 2-3 month project over the weekends. I also pulled my interior but painted mine a lighter color to match the new carpet with SEM...it was a major project. Looks great now other than my seats no longer match the carpet :]

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
I agree, I thought it wasnt going to take very long. Once I got started I realized this was not something that could be done in a day or even a weekend. I dont work fast though, im old and broken.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow that is a long time I was hoping to knock it out in a weekend... guess I will start small and see how far I can get

·
Registered
159 Posts
Heres how mine came out.

Doors
I'm using Peel & Seal, not FatMat

That looks really sharp! How would I go about making it look this clean? Were all of the door clips and wires removed (down to bare interior door)? Personally, mine looks like crap so far. I've been cutting it out piece by piece to avoid any unwanted areas (I left all the wires and clips in). How do all of the large holes, speakers, access panel...etc, look so clean? Did you use a utility knife around the edges of the openings and use full sheets across the door? I'm a perfectionist, this stuff is sticky and not very forgiving so...I would like to be able to have it done as well as possible before I add any more.

Hope some of you guys might be able to help me out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just ordered 10 sq ft of this: To go behind the dash as I thought $200 for replacement insulation was a little steep. I will see how this works out for $40. It is 200Mil.

Before that goes in this goes in: I purchased a 100sq ft to start with. 80mil but is not peel and stick. I will install it with aluminum tape and 3m spray glue.

Over that will be Jute throughout and then New Vinyl.

I will have it all installed in 1 day.
On day two I will lay the new vinyl in and let it take shape before trimming it.

I believe this is about as sound proof as I will get a 1979 bronco to be.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just ordered 10 sq ft of this: To go behind the dash as I thought $200 for replacement insulation was a little steep. I will see how this works out for $40. It is 200Mil.

I believe this is about as sound proof as I will get a 1979 bronco to be.
I forgot to mention, I didn't get Fat Mat. I have Peel and Seal from lowes. Which is pretty cheap (I want to say $11-15 a roll). Right now I'm practicing on the doors to see how I like the stuff. From what I've read it seems like there pretty similar, though I imagine the FatMat is a little more malleable.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Try raamat.

I know peopl elike the peel and seal stuff from lowes but it's asphalt based, not butyl based. The problem with that is you can get asphalt smell during the summer etc.

If that doesn't bother you or you don't live somewhere hot, no biggie.

But I would shoot for some raamat BXT II. It's similar to dynamat at like half the cost or so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts