Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
when I rebuilt the 400 I put in some off brand from a local parts company. cannot remember it, but it was a 3 finger and it has served the abuse well.

the superduty has a LUK and I really like that one so I think thats what I will be running for a while.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I put a Zoom clutch in my last truck and i was very pleased at the performance, and i didn't even break it in properly. Held up to abuse very well.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
I didn't see the McLeod being much better than a Borg Warner. :/
Seemed like it was more carefully adjusted than the typical Borg Warner
but still had to adjust the dangged thing. :/ (for a 360FE+T18)

BW sold out to someone but I can't remember the name, was negatively
impressed when I talked to them on the phone about a problem, is all I
remember about it. :)

My newest clutch is a Luk in the 351w, hadn't had it long enough to tell
anything other than it is top quality when -brand new-. ;)
I got a "Rhino Pac" slave and all {the box had a LuK pressure plate in it}.

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how is sach's clutch, they are sold at the "better" parts stores like O'rillies and carquest, they offer the 3 finger and diaphram style, and ceramic button style.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
i have a centerforce in my bronco and it never ... chattered and no knee shake either
Cool but. ;)

I believe it has more to do with the alignment of the parts etc than the brand of the
clutch for that. Don't know, just figure it that way, from what I've seen over the years.

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ive had a Zoom clutch in a ford ranger. I currently run a South Bend clutch in my 03 F250 with the 6.0 psd, and I have Centerforce Dual Friction clutches in my 67 fairlane with a 390 and in my 78 F150 with the 351M. Haven't had any problems out of any of these clutches. I wheel the F150 pretty hard on rocks mostly (I dont care for mud too much) Its about 90% trail and 10% steet driving with 42 inch TSL tires the clutch is holding up very well. It is smooth when lugging over rocks and stuff with no chatter.

I believe any clutch you choose should hold up as long as you install it properly (resurface/replace the flywheel, line it up right, etc.) and you break it in right (Centerforce recommends no more that 50% power for the first 500 miles or something like that, its usually in the instructions in the kit)

Diaphram clutches usually have less pedal travel and less pedal effort and usually more clamping pressure (the clamping pressure is spread evenly around the pressure plate instead of localizing over the coil springs in a 3 finger setup.) Centerforce recommends removing the overcenter spring under the dash with a diaphram clutch if the pedal doesnt want to return but I didnt have to. My pedal is adjusted so the clutch starts to grab about an inch off the floor. When the pedal is all the way released (foot not touching it) its about 1/2 an inch above the brake pedal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
probly going to go with carquest's hd clutch they offer.

Update:

Ok so I went and acctually check the adjustment of the clutch rod and measured the clutch petal to the petal stop. It was 3\4 of a inch, so Im going to adjust it tonight and drive it to see if it fubar of if i just adjusted it wrong.

Update:
Probly will be going to Napa or Carquest soon to see about a clutch. It still slips after adjusting it again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts