Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I need some opinions. I have an 88 EB with a 302. I plan to put in a 393 stroker next spring. Right now I need a transmission. So what trans should I go with? Or what is your favorite transmission and why?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I personally have/ like the C6... big, powerful been around forever and bullet proof but its not great on mileage considering its a 3 speed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be in town most of the time. Not many hwy trips. This truck will be my daily but will still see lots of mud. Also, which transfer case should I run?

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
NP205 is bullet proof, no chain to worry about or 4x4 actuator motor. Draw backs are that it weights in at @ 145 lbs. and gearing isn't as low as some people would like. If you go C-6, do the AO4D internal upgrade to lower 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went from the Aod to Zf5 and love it. Great low first gear, more power to the ground than with the automatic, no TV cable "Aod" or electronics "e4od" to worry about or extra cooling and filters.
However there are good reasons to stay with an automatic, but I love my new manual. To each their own.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Are you thinking a manual or an automatic?

For a manual, I'd highly recommend the NP435. Tough as nails, simple, stout, extremely low granny gear (6.69:1).

·
I did done broke it
2,277 Posts
C6 is now my favorite transmission ever. I used to think 3 speeds were stupid until I actually drove a truck that had one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Based on your criteria (local driving, mud use):

Manual- NP435

Auto- C6

·
Registered
316 Posts
Can you guys explain the differences of the manual transmissions? The zf5 and the NP435. I have a M5OD and I've read it won't hold up with a 351

·
Man of endless projects
9,289 Posts
do you plan on swapping to carb or swapping to mass airflow? your stock speed density wont like a stroker.

if you go carb ur kinda limited between C6 or a strongly rebuilt AOD. C6 doesn't have overdrive so it will loose MPG but AOD is a weak trans unless built up a lot in which case would be good for better MPG

if you go MAF then you can do a electronic trans like an E4OD or 4R70W. E4OD is pretty strong but expenisive to rebuild. 4R70W is a highly updated AOD with electronics, revisions and wide ratio gears and can handle a good amount after modifying the valvebody

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,088 Posts
There are controls avaible for e4od so it can be used on anything it will bolt up to. Usshift.com. I am another that likes the c6

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Can you guys explain the differences of the manual transmissions? The zf5 and the NP435. I have a M5OD and I've read it won't hold up with a 351
The ZF5 is a 5 speed and has the best of both worlds with a low range 1st and an overdrive for the highway. The downside to it is it's expensive, and much less uncommon, since it only came in F250s and above and didn't appear until the 80s sometime. It's also a bit more complex and is recommended to have a professional do any work on it (at least from what I've heard).

The NP435 (and similarly, the T18/T19) heralds from the old days of stout cast iron. They're simple, extremely robust, and rather easy to find, and can also be set up to be either hydraulic or mechanical clutch depending on the bell housing. It's a 4 speed with no overdrive, but one of the lowest 1st gears in the business.

The M5OD is more of a highway transmission with 5 cruising gears (no low 1st) and was meant more for casual use. A good trans, but has it's issues when it comes to the robustness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts