Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Would you work for Fedex Ground as a Package Handler?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its not offical, but I was wondering if anyone works for fedex or the very similar Ups as a Package handler? Just wondering what it is like to work the 3am-8am or so loading/handling shift. The money is pretty good, or at least it is compared to my last job. Usual starting wage is set at 9.50/hr and depending on circumstances they will pay tutition/tutition re-enbursment. I believe that even at part time they will pay some benifits, but dont quote me.

Just want to hear from anyone that has worked for them or something very similar. If you have an opinion, speak up please. Although this would be a complete backwards flip from my normal sleep pattern (normally go to sleep at 3am-4am), I am not sure it would be worth it. Thats the reason I'ma' askin'.

KC

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
My brother worked for them, he ended up hating it and went to work somewhere else but if they aren't your long term goal and especially if they offer tuition benefits you ought to do it.

You can endure anything for a short time if there is a long term gain.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
FedEx is hiring? :shocked

You'd think layoffs would be in their future after they get smacked with the huge IRS bill for their mismanagement.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FedEx is hiring? :shocked

You'd think layoffs would be in their future after they get smacked with the huge IRS bill for their mismanagement.
Didn't even hear about that, but then again, I try not to watch to much news...tends to piss me off...

As long as a check doesn't bounce with them I'm good. :thumbup

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Id work for them as a summer job...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I looked into it, even went to the priliminary interview. It is a great opportunity if you are looking to have a career with FedEx (or UPS). Everyone has to start right there at the bottom but it can lead great places. If it is not destined to be your career though it is not a good temporary job. IMHO.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thats a pain in the arse job did it in college wont do it ever again...

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats a pain in the arse job did it in college wont do it ever again...
Could you maybe elaborate why?

I mean, right now, I have no job. Was it better than working in food? I am trying to stay as far away as possible from food service.

KC

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts
Fedex has the highest paid pilot group in the industry. They arent any more skilled that other companies, but its such a great place to work that they are pretty much the Mecca of airlines to work for. Work rules, quality of life, and pay are top notch.

However, the airlines in general suck ass when it comes to work rules, and quality of life...so they dont really have to be that great to be on top. However, a guy on my fire department drove a delivery truck for them for years prior to becoming a firefighter, and had nothing but good things to say about them. He was one of our best drivers too...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I started at UPS last March as a loader(package handler). I started out at $8.50/hr and was up to $10/hr within 90 days. At that time I also had full medical and vision insurance. UPS has also paid for $1,500 of my school. As of November, I got promoted to Part-Time Supervisor. I now get paid salary(I take home $300/wk for about 26 hrs work). As a supervisor I train people, and we have several new employees quit each week because "THERE ARE TOO MANY BOXES." It sounds stupid, but people give that same reason week after week.

I tell all of my trainees this: "This job depends completely upon your attitude." If you let boxes make you mad, you're A) ridiculous, B) probably going to quit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My brother-in-law worked for UPS on the ground. Great benefits and pay. He quit to do 3 tours in Iraq as a civilian. Go figure. $$$$
I have several friends that have flown for UPS or FED EX. Great job, once you get accustomed to flying on the back side of the clock.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm..the general consensus is that its a decent place to work. Like I said, dunno about the early work thing, but I can pretty much get up at any time if it is to make money! :scratchhe Wonder why. :rofl:

Anyhow, think I will check'em out. Thanks for the replies.

KC

·
Registered
457 Posts
Could you maybe elaborate why?

I mean, right now, I have no job. Was it better than working in food? I am trying to stay as far away as possible from food service.

KC
Yeah the folks there are a real pain or where at the terminal I worked from the hours are ok but you get sick from the heat or cold all the time. I didnt mind the co workers just the management I ended up slamming the manager over me in the head with three boxes one night cause he got in my face, something I dont recomend.
Its not worth it for the pay but if you need money now then it might work temporairly. I agree the food service sucks as well something I have never had to work in luckily..

·
Registered
91 Posts
FedEx/UPS sucks. I had a friend that worked there (UPS), and they nearly worked him to death at first.

If there's a Coca-Cola or Pepsi in your area, you'd be much better off there. I work at Coke, and started off at nearly $11/hr. You'd start out throwing cases of drinks on a pallet and building it according to the order form. But, you can pretty much go at your own pace...although you will need to throw X ammount of cases per hour. You can then move up to loading/unloading trucks, running stock, or whatever.

I've been there 2 years now, and can do everything there is in the warehouse. I get to sit on a forklift all day long. Haven't had to build pallets for more than a couple hours in over a year...

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll have to look into that. I've been trying to find work that is more warehouse geared. I didn't mind unloading trucks for Best Buy. Although, some of that stuff was heavy, it still wasn't bad all things considered. Only bad thing I hear about pepsi is that they only keep people on as part-timers. What I'm really looking for is a night shift type job. Gotta keep looking, but I may take Fedex temp. until I find something else.

KC

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
As a former FX Ground driver, I'll chime in.

If you're loading the delivery trucks to go out, you'll be expected to grab everything for your 2 or 3 trucks off the conveyor belt, and load it all into the trucks according to street, and sometimes in numerical order (some drivers are real picky assholes) according to a load-chart posted at the end of the truck. Anything you miss gets hauled back to the beginning of the line, but if you miss much, the line manager will start getting on you, and I've seen some managers on power-trips that turn into serious dicks.

I've also seen loaders get overwhelmed and end up with mountains behind the trucks. :rofl: I usually just showed up early and told my guy to stack it at the end while I put it all where I wanted it.

On the other hand, at least on the Ground side, where we were all owner/operators, being a loader is a good way to get hired for a 2nd van driver by one of the owners, and that's the first step to getting your own route and truck.

Like any job, it changes from situation to situation.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Good luck either way.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,381 Posts
I worked the night shift at UPS this summer. I hated it. I started out at 8.50 an hour. In my opinion, the work was not worth the pay. The pre load, the shift you would be working was way more stressful (so i heard) and it started out a dollar more. i didnt like looking at all of that cardboard for 5 hours a day. I know that the tuition thing for UPS was only if you worked at a main hub, not just one of the distrubution centers. Did i mention that i hated it. I agree that unless you plan on moving up to a driver, i wouldnt waste your time unless you ABSOLUTELY need a job right now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts