Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to start throwing some cash at my old '87 Bronco and at this point I am seriously leaning towards doing the solid axle swap. When I bought the truck 2 yrs ago, it came with a lot of extra parts, such as all the parts necessary to convert the D44 front end over to 8 lug, and a Sterling 10.25 rear end (semi-floater :doh0715:). So my thinking is that I could swap in a D44 solid front axle, use the 8 lug parts, then use the 10.25 out back for a while until I could build up a 9 inch.

Although I've owned two other FSB's, and I've lifted plenty of trucks in my day (including both of those Broncos), I'll be the first to admit that doing an SAS is probably over my head in terms of fab skills and current shop equipment, so that is why I am trying to find some local guys with experience in doing SAS who may be willing to share knowledge and perhaps do a little consulting along the way.

So what say you, AZ Boys... how many of you running SAS conversions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Scott!

Thanks for the replies...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a 10.25 semi-floater, but I'll take a pic later today and post it up to be sure. I was told it came out of a '85 F-250 or 350? I know that it's a beefy axle... that sucker is a PITA to move!! Anyhow, I may end up running it, I was just thinking that since it's so rare, parts for it my be hard to come by down the road, and it's also probably overkill for my application.

Anyways, nice to e-meet you and I look forward to plugging your brain for info .

Thanks again!
Jason

P.S. You got a sweet Bronco there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know where to get a solid Dana 44, where in AZ Are you.
I'm in Prescott, but I could easily travel to PHX if that's where the axle is. Do you have a ballpark figure as to how much it would go for? Also, is it ready to go, or would it need an overhaul/gearing, etc? I'm looking to run 4.56 and eventually do an air locker.

You guys are awesome! Post one day and already have a line on an axle within 24 hrs!!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I would suggest reading through several of the sas threads to see what others have done and how. It is very helpfull and you can see how each build tured out. Also might PM some on here if you have any questions, peeps are very helpfull on this board. I'm not one of the AZ crew but I just wanted to make sure you have used this sites resorces because it is usefull. Good Luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you 100% sure it's a 10.25? Do you have a picture?
Check it out... http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/18433/62999

Sorry, only got the one angle of it... but it does NOT have hubs sticking out... which I believe is the only indication of a Semi-Floater, right? I didn't run the numbers from the tag yet, but a little web research led me to believe it's out of a '85-ish F-250 (light duty) and that it probably has a 3.08 ratio. Once I run the numbers I'll know for sure.

Anyhow, thanks Red for the advice... I've been lurking the SAS threads for nearly 2 years now, so the picture is sloooowwwwly becoming clearer as to what I want to do with this truck. I'm really looking forward to meeting some of the AZ guys and checking out their builds in person.

Thanks 5.8... I might be in PHX this weekend. If I'm able to make it down, I'll call the Pick N Pull ahead of time and see if they still have that front end.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
That's odd. I'd bet it's from a 250 van not a truck...but...put a tape measure on it and make sure it's 8 on 6.5. I've seen semi float 10.5 from 1998/99 LD F250's with drum brakes and they were 8 on 170MM. It's an odd low produced axle made of left over and new parts but you are operating in the realm of odd axles so you should double check.

The bone yard he's talking about always seems to have 78/79 front axles. I've gone there at least once a month since they've been open and I can't remember a trip there that I didn't see one.

-Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tools needed for Pick-N-Pull

The bone yard he's talking about always seems to have 78/79 front axles. I've gone there at least once a month since they've been open and I can't remember a trip there that I didn't see one.

-Scott
I presume that these axles are still under a truck, right? What's the minimum tools I'd need to roll in there with? I'm guessing the usual array of hand tools, jack, etc. but I'd imagine it would be handy to have a torch and air tools to do an extraction like this.

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I've never bought from a self service yard, so I'm unclear on how that works. Do they have tools, or do you have to come in prepared for battle?

Thanks!
Jason

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Bring sockets a breaker bar BFH and you will need to grab a cart from them. vise grips are nice allen wrenches are handy screwdrivers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bring sockets a breaker bar BFH and you will need to grab a cart from them. vise grips are nice allen wrenches are handy screwdrivers.
Cool, thanks!

Coming from out of town, I just don't want to get stuck down there without being able to get the axle free. I might try to get down tomorrow, if not, then maybe next weekend.

You don't happen to know if they have a 9 inch rear end too, do ya?

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Cool, thanks!

Coming from out of town, I just don't want to get stuck down there without being able to get the axle free. I might try to get down tomorrow, if not, then maybe next weekend.

You don't happen to know if they have a 9 inch rear end too, do ya?
They have alot of those you just have to find one where they havent welded the top of the U bolts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts