Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed plenty of rear main seals before - but I have a question on this new Fel-Pro seal I purchased.

~~~

I bought a Fel-Pro rear main seal for my engine rebuild and it's Fel-Pro part # 2941 - as purchased from Summit's website:

Summit Racing Part # FPP-2941
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FPP-2941&N=4294908331+4294840126+115&autoview=sku

Pic (if link works):

The question I have, which I cannot find the answer to is:

What is the clear plastic part that is included with this rear main seal? I checked Summit's website again and there is not any information about this clear piece, nor are there any instructions included with the seal as to what this clear piece is used for (or if it's not even used)...?????????? I even tried to get info from Fel-Pro's website with no luck.

The desription on the box & from Summit's site only says:

Rear Main Seal, Teflon®, 1-Piece Type, Ford, Small Block

Fel-Pro Performance main bearing seals are made of high-grade materials such as silicone, polyacrylate, or flouro-elastomer. Race engine builders prefer these premium seals for their severe duty needs.

???

Can someone offer some info on this clear plastic piece? It does not seem to be attached to the seal from what I can see in the shrink wrapped package (and by removing it). Does it get used or discarded? WTF is it??

:popc1:

·
Registered
867 Posts
:histerica :histerica :histerica :twak
i had the same question the first time i did mine also.
just discard the inter clear plastic thingy.
its there just to hold the lips form to keep them from getting crushed in packing and shipping!!!!
have fun, its a real hoot getting under there and getting to that dang thing
almost 2 days of work, for 5 min of pulling the old one out and putting in the new one:chili:

·
Registered
867 Posts
:scratchhe
dont remember about it helping over the crank?
but i put a peace of a 2x4 up to the seal and tapped on the board with a hammer to get the seal in place evenly.

is that seal the teflon one? i didnt check.
this is one job you dont want to have to do again.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
you dont need the plastic thing. it is there to prevent crushing of the seal. and if you are lazy like me. When you do the rear main, unbolt the rear driveshaft and front, then put the tranny on a jack and unbolt the crossmember. i did this and slid the tranny back worked like a charm too and made it easy as cake to line it all back up

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The plastic piece is a seal protector,it is put over the end of the crank before you put the seal in to aid in the installation(allows the lip of the seal to slide up onto the crank surface without damage).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts