Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new to me 79 Custom. It's a rust bucket.

But it runs like new - seriously - I found a receipt for a NAPA reman engine from 2015 - poor guy paid $3k for the engine.

In any case - the rear quarters are shot & the front fenders are rusty.

I can find fenders easy enough if I look around - back quarters are kinda cheap too at less than $200 each - but what I'm wondering is this.

I see a lot of "fender flares" for sale - but they are mostly from chevy trucks & the occasional GMC - rarely a ford & never a bronco.

Has anyone tried to put GMC flares on their bronco? If I could pick up a full set for less than $100 I would cut away much of the rust - flapper disk the rest & hit it with some rustolium & keep on driving for a while.

I'm just trying to find a way to make it look a little better in the short run before I try & tackle replacing all of the body parts.

If you have - please share pics

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,716 Posts
Personally not a fan of flares, but there are plenty out there for 79 broncos
Most wheel flares I'm seeing are bolt on and definitely not under a hundred dollars... How much rust do u have to cut out? U would still need good metal to bolt to all while the rust continues to compromise more of your rig. I was always taught the more holes u put in ur rig the more u leave it succeptable to rust .
To me, it would make more sense to just pull the quarters and replace and put a rust converter on or replace whatever u find under the panel that could be compromised. Replacing panels isn't a terrible job (from what I hear) and u can get rear quarters from places like parts geek for $191... It would seem the wiser investment if you're hoping to have your rig for many more years.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you’re going to replace the quarters in the future, just cut the rust out now and forego the flares. Then you’ll have a custom Custom.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
Bushwacker cut-outs for a 80-86 ford truck... they should fit a 73-79 with minimal adjustments. But not cheap new at about 100 for each flare.

4" lift and 37s

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the comments - but didn't really get an answer (or maybe no answer was the answer). Has anyone used existing flares from another vehicle & made them fit?

I will eventually have to put new quarters on - at least a full quarter on the passenger side & the bottom half of the drivers side.

But I'm not going to try & do that in the winter when the weather sucks. I would prefer to find a reasonable solution for under $100 that will get me through until I stockpile all the metal I will need (tailgate has been ordered).

Anyone?

By the way - Sharp looking 85. I have stock sized tires - so flares that big will look silly with tiny little wheels & tires under them.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,495 Posts
not mine

Had chevy or gmc factory flares on the rear... I have thought superduty or excursion flares would work ok as well.
On my 78, I have electrical conduit bent by hand with a slit cut in it, shoved this on the cut fender, then spot welded it to the quater panel in several places. This gives it a nice edge and also some much needed rigidity to the panels after being cut.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
Well an 85 is a different vehicle, technically lol.

I would think the GM flares would work pretty well, and keep the square wheel wells.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not mine

Had chevy or gmc factory flares on the rear... I have thought superduty or excursion flares would work ok as well.
On my 78, I have electrical conduit bent by hand with a slit cut in it, shoved this on the cut fender, then spot welded it to the quater panel in several places. This gives it a nice edge and also some much needed rigidity to the panels after being cut.
Thats it! Those back flares look good!

This is expected to be a temporary (could be a year or two) solution that doesn't cost much. No need to throw money at a temp solution.

Thanks for this!

·
Addicted to Junk
11,122 Posts
Some people have used that black garden edging plastic stuff as flares with good success too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts