Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the typical rust around the rear wheel wells. it is not that bad but needs to be address. I plan on eventually replacing both rear quarters but for now i was just thinking of cutting the lip out, basically the part the is raised off the panel. Does anyone have pics of their fender flare drill points. I am looking to order a set of fender flares, looking for small ones, not ones that stick out too much. I want to know if I cut out the rust can i basically cover the cut with a fender flare? I have paint pealing on the hood and needs a coat of paint real bad. I am just going to prime the entire thing for now until i can get the time to do it right, between work and my other winter projects I just do not have the time to do it right for now.
thanks

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Paint doesn't work well in the winter anyway unless you have a heated shop. As for cutting off the cancer and putting flares on it probably depends on how far up the rust goes. That's exactly what the guys on Trucks did during the "Das Bronco" build but if the rust goes past where the flares need to hook on then you are kind of out of luck. However, if you don't want flares later, why not just do the quarters and save yourself the money for the flares?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Rust waits for no man.......

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paint doesn't work well in the winter anyway unless you have a heated shop. As for cutting off the cancer and putting flares on it probably depends on how far up the rust goes. That's exactly what the guys on Trucks did during the "Das Bronco" build but if the rust goes past where the flares need to hook on then you are kind of out of luck. However, if you don't want flares later, why not just do the quarters and save yourself the money for the flares?
i just do not have the time to replace the quarters now, i work 12 - 15 hours a day, 6 - 7 days a week.. I have never done body work, never welded, etc.. and want to do it all myself. I plan on using this my learning canvas! Just from past experience, something will go wrong! Last year I rebuilt my 454 big block chevy in my boat, never did that before. thought it would take a week, it took 3 months!!! right now i can not afford any down time on the bronco. If it snows I am screwed, and will not be able to get to work. I have a 500 HP lightning and a 350 hp mustang that are usless in a 1/2 in of snow. I just wanted a quick fix so i can make it look 1/2 way decent. I park it on the street and in my opinion it is an eye sore with the rusted hood and 1/4 panels, i can only imagine what my neighbors think. I plan on redoing everything over the summer when i have the time to let her sit while I do the work. This will just be a temporary "ghetto" fix to get me through the winter. The truck has sentimental value to me so i will never sell it, so eventually everything will be done right. but thanks for the info, i am going to try and find a copy of that episode!

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Just drive it through the winter and fix when you can do it right. I used the Bushwacker cut out flares on my 80 FSB. The thing with those is you hack out about 3" of sheet metal so its kinda intimidating.The good thing is you can run a 35" tire with no lift. If you want a quick fix just bondo the rust for the winter but unless you treat it the rust will keep on spreading. Good luck.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
dont run flares...
they suck...

·
Registered
904 Posts
whether or not fender flares suck is purely a matter of oppinion. Ive got them and im not a huge fan of the look, but the PO hacked the fenders pretty bad so i am stuck with them. And for the record, i appreciate them quite a bit when things get muddy, they really cut down on the mess topsides.

·
Slow Noob
1,218 Posts
i have the same problem on my bronco. on my f150 the beside wheel wells and front fender wells are rusted out, bought it that way last year. hopefully later this year i can start working on them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm in the same boat with the bronco I just picked up, I think I'm just going to cut out all the rust and get some fender flares, I like the look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts