Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 95 bronco that has rust along back fender well, I haven’t seen it in person but this looks like a common problem. Can I put cutout flares to cover this and treat the non rusted area?

·
Super Moderator
27,700 Posts
Yo Jjacochran,
Welcome!

See our Sponsor's 95 Bronco fender flares Sources at 1995 Ford Bronco Fender Flares - CARiD.com
Some replace entire rear quarter panel or as we did, a patch panel by welding or use of body adhesive.

Quarter Panel Patch & Inner Fender weld Replacement by BRONCONUT @ chop, cut & rebuild

Quarter Panel Replacement w/adhesive:
See 1986 FSB Restoration Project (56K Warning) by Xris @ 1986 FSB Restoration Project (56K Warning)
He used 3M Duramix Large Panel Adhesive for his 1/4 panels
"...the rockers I have go over the existing and up the door jamb. So I'll fabricate the missing spots (very minor) and use the Duramix in combination with pop rivets to give it added strength. This is the area which will be PRO 15ed as well as th rough Durabak coat...."

Quarter Panel Replacement w/adhesive Tip on an 86 by Sixlitre (Malcolm H, Eddie Bauer) at 1986 Ford Bronco Quarter panel adhesive pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Others have used SEM 3M 8219 adhesive, etc.

Panel Repair- Eastwood's No-Weld Panel Repair Kit
Repairs with patch panels or custom fabricated panels utilizing our panel adhesive can be done with structural integrity far superior to rivets themselves. Repair fenders, quarter panels, trunk floors, firewalls, doors or floor.

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1995 Ford Bronco

1995 Bronco Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual - Google Drive
&
1995 Bronco Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 non-padded posts required to participate, due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

➡See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
... Includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

Take time to participate in our next Full-Size of the Month & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to the winner!; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted and a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Al

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,126 Posts
Yes you can use cutout flares to cover that up, once you cut it out.

The cutout flares for 87-96 are hideous banana shaped monstrosities. Instead, find a set for 80-86. Heres a set on my 85.

However, since the cutout flares add about 4" to the width of each side, Youll need new wheels or quality spacers to bring the tires out even with the edge of the flare.

Instead of this

The correct wheels or spacers give you this

Reactions: Anvil Crawler

·
Registered
1994 Bronco XLT 5.0, E4OD, 31x10.5R15 Firestone MT on OEM Rims, Rust Resto w/Custom Suspension
76 Posts
Following up on the OP's post, we're in the same boat with our '94 and I found these on eBay:

Black Textured Pocket Bolt Fender Flares 92-96 Ford F-150 F-250 F-350 Bronco | eBay

The specs say they'll add up to 2" additional coverage and I'm wondering if that will be too wide and make it look like the pics @BigBlue 94 posted. The plan is to cut out the rust on all 4 openings and mount the flares above the "flare" of the fender. We've got BFG A/T 31x10.5's on stock rims. Do you think those flares will look OK with the current tires or will it look like it's "wearing a skirt" as was stated in another fender flare post? I've thought about spacers if needed, but I've been advised they will put stress on...something...and cause it to wear out prematurely.

Thoughts?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,126 Posts
Following up on the OP's post, we're in the same boat with our '94 and I found these on eBay:

Black Textured Pocket Bolt Fender Flares 92-96 Ford F-150 F-250 F-350 Bronco | eBay

The specs say they'll add up to 2" additional coverage and I'm wondering if that will be too wide and make it look like the pics @BigBlue 94 posted. The plan is to cut out the rust on all 4 openings and mount the flares above the "flare" of the fender. We've got BFG A/T 31x10.5's on stock rims. Do you think those flares will look OK with the current tires or will it look like it's "wearing a skirt" as was stated in another fender flare post? I've thought about spacers if needed, but I've been advised they will put stress on...something...and cause it to wear out prematurely.

View attachment 180726

Thoughts?
My flares are a good 4" wide, if not 5". They are cutout style and required cutting about 2-3" of fender out. With a only 31" tire I do think it might look like its"wearing a skirt". I have 37s on mine and I wouldnt want any smaller. I have the room for 42s!

Wheel spacers are an acceptable fix. There is really no difference between running a spacer or a wheel with very little backspace. What it does do is increase the scrub radius, which is the distance between the centerline of the tire and the center of the BJ. It can put undue stress on the BJs, but its really only an issue when you do large spacers. On a rear axle, they have no major side effects. Just gotta keep all the nuts tight.

·
Registered
1994 Bronco XLT 5.0, E4OD, 31x10.5R15 Firestone MT on OEM Rims, Rust Resto w/Custom Suspension
76 Posts
but its really only an issue when you do large spacers
What would be considered "large"? If the flare adds up to 2" of coverage then a 2" spacer would fix that.

·
Addicted to Junk
15,126 Posts
What would be considered "large"? If the flare adds up to 2" of coverage then a 2" spacer would fix that.
A 2 inch spacer is at the large end of acceptable. Anything bigger will put too much stress on the BJs.

With 2" spacers, I have about half an inch of the wheel hub showing plus the lockout. 3" would nearly cover the lockout.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks @BigBlue 94! Hopefully they won't come out too far then and a 1" spacer would be sufficient. Otherwise, we'll be looking at new tires and these are already new. Are your 37's on wider rims or stock?

·
Addicted to Junk
15,126 Posts
Thanks @BigBlue 94! Hopefully they won't come out too far then and a 1" spacer would be sufficient. Otherwise, we'll be looking at new tires and these are already new. Are your 37's on wider rims or stock?
You wouldnt need new tires. You would need new wheels with an inch or so less backspacing. Thats why I am not opposed to "smaller" wheel spacers. As far as the BJs and scrub radius are concerned, a 4.5" BS wheel with 2" spacer is NO DIFFERENT than a 2.5" backspace wheel. The difference is more fasteners that can potentially fail.

Bora makes great quality spacers, for automotive and agricultural uses.

My wheels are 16x8 with 4.5" of BS. I screwed up and should have ordered em with 3" of BS.

I would look for some thinner flares. Street style or something.

Mine are the bushwhacker cutouts. Look in this random pic of a bullnose. See that chrome trim around the wheel wells? Every bit of metal below that piece of trim is cut off on mine.

Reactions: thedeuce01

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for all the info @BigBlue 94!. Will post some pics once we get it done. Take Care!

Deuce

1 - 10 of 10 Posts