Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Dana 70 SRW pretty cheap on craigslist a little bit ago. The guy wants 75 bucks for it, and it came out of a 75 f-350. It's got 4.10 gears, and its drum to drum everything is there. Should I pick it up this weekend?

Is a 10.25 stronger than this? Will this be an easy swap into my unit? Not worried about abs.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Sterling is an easier swap.

Strength wise? I'd bet it's on par with a Sterling 10.25, and a Chebby 14b.

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I"m thinking. The swap would be a little rougher. I'm sure if I threw some 35 splines in there, it would be just as strong as anything else.

Did they come with 16.5 rims, would I be able to put my 15's on it? I don't wanna have to buy two new tires to make this swap happen.

I searched Dana 70 and really couldn't come up with to much.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact weight of a d70, but I have a d70 and a 14-bolt and the d70 housing and drums look massive compared to the 14-bolt.

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure of the exact weight of a d70, but I have a d70 and a 14-bolt and the d70 housing and drums look massive compared to the 14-bolt.
I found a pretty good website that compared a d70 to a d60, but id rather see it compared to a 10.25 and a 14 bolt. You got any pictures of them side by side, or just pics of them that I can sort of compare to. What are your feelings on the two? Which would you rather have of the two?

I'm just hoping I dont have to buy new tires.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I found a pretty good website that compared a d70 to a d60, but id rather see it compared to a 10.25 and a 14 bolt. You got any pictures of them side by side, or just pics of them that I can sort of compare to. What are your feelings on the two? Which would you rather have of the two?

I'm just hoping I dont have to buy new tires.
I am using my 14-bolt in my 78 bronco. I didn't do alot of research on the difference in weight, because I have both and it seems kinda obvious that the 14-bolt will be lighter (not 100% sure though.) I have a picture of my 14-bolt, but not one of the 70 on my computer. I will tell you this though, look at the finned housing on the 14-bolt (which I plan to shave down on the bottom side), on the 70 it looks like a GIANT steel sludge hammer. Also, and I'm not sure if it is because my 70 is out of a dually, but the break drums look like the brake drums in my dump truck.

Also, it seems like there is a consensus that a 14-bolt is pretty much a good bulletproof match for a ford d60 kingpin front, at least in stock form (even if it's made by that, well you know, that chebby company.)

IMG_0299.jpg

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
That's what I"m thinking. The swap would be a little rougher. I'm sure if I threw some 35 splines in there, it would be just as strong as anything else.

Did they come with 16.5 rims, would I be able to put my 15's on it? I don't wanna have to buy two new tires to make this swap happen.

I searched Dana 70 and really couldn't come up with to much.
:doh0715:

Um... 8 lug. You're not going to be able to use your old rims anyway. I think you need 16's at a minimum.

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help so far guys. I'll have to see if the older bro wants to buy my 35's of of me, so I can get some with bigger holes in them. One thing I didn't ask the guy yesterday if it was a full floater, I would think being that big of an axle that it would be full float.

I did find a good disk brake swap on the net, that doesn't seem to bad at all. I'm thinking I'm just gonna go a head and go on with this, if I don't want it I can probably sell it for what i bought it for. I'll put a picture up once I get it.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
So I guess you're planning on an 8lug swap up front too then?

Just curious, why are you swapping axles? The 8.8's have shown themselves to be pretty resilient with just 35's on them.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
The Sterling FF is stronger than the D70 & the smallest 14-bolt (there are 3), but also heavier & has a bigger pig (less ground clearance).
Source? Everything ive read says that the D70 has a higher GAWR than both the Sterling & the 14 bolt, which does not surprise me considering the larger ring & pinion and wheel bearings the D70 has. Id swear the brakes are bigger too, but i threw those away years ago in favor of discs.
Also the D70 has 1" less ground clearance than a D60, but that can easily be removed since it uses a D60 diff cover, netting it better ground clearance than either a Sterling or 14bolt. The D70U doesnt even have that extra material. The D70HD has an even higher GAWR yet as it use D80 carrier bearings.

All 3 are 1.5" axle shafts, but the 14 bolt is not 35 spline.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
Thats the 70U though, which is the light duty 32 spline version. Granted, that is probably the one The Ric found, but if i recall correctly, the standard D70 (35 spline) is 8500, and the 70HD (also 35 spline) is 8800. i will look through my bookmarks to try to find the info.

The second PDF you linked is for model year 2000, so id assume Sterling 10.5, not 10.25. Also, your 8250# is for DRW, the SRW is listed as 6830#.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
No, just wanted to clarify that there are many different versions of it with very different GAWRs. I agree thats probably the one he found though.

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I guess you're planning on an 8lug swap up front too then?

Just curious, why are you swapping axles? The 8.8's have shown themselves to be pretty resilient with just 35's on them.
Just trying to build a good Mud bog truck that can handle in the mud and a little on the trail as well. I'm wanting to put 39-42's on it one day. With how cheap this Dana 70 is going for, I might as well get it while I can and let it sit around until I'm ready for it to go under the Bronco. The 8.8 will still stay underneath it until it blows, or breaks. I got a 460 I'm going to be putting in, not anytime soon tho.

This PDF on p.14 says a D70-2U holds 7800#. This one on p.50 says a Ford axle (presumably the Sterling) holds 8250#.
Steve, when I go to check out this axle, will there be good identifying tags that will tell me that this the U version?

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats the 70U though, which is the light duty 32 spline version. Granted, that is probably the one The Ric found, but if i recall correctly, the standard D70 (35 spline) is 8500, and the 70HD (also 35 spline) is 8800. i will look through my bookmarks to try to find the info.

The second PDF you linked is for model year 2000, so id assume Sterling 10.5, not 10.25. Also, your 8250# is for DRW, the SRW is listed as 6830#.
As far as I know it is the 32 spline. I'm gonna talk to the guy again on Saturday when I meet up with him and get into detail about it.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana70.htm pretty good dana 70 site

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
32 spline IMO is easiest; its the only D70 that has em.

Either way, i think either axle work fine for your application. Theyre still both quite beefy axles.

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't do big-axle swaps, so I'm not the person to ask. But since you did, here's everything I know on that subject:

Thanks for digin them up for me.:thumbup

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,962 Posts
This is a great PDF covering the basics on every light truck axle made by Dana. Tells ya how to ID em (Pg.5), carrier breaks, BOM #s, tons of stuff :thumbup Its 102 pages though, so dialup beware!

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Just trying to build a good Mud bog truck that can handle in the mud and a little on the trail as well. I'm wanting to put 39-42's on it one day. With how cheap this Dana 70 is going for, I might as well get it while I can and let it sit around until I'm ready for it to go under the Bronco. The 8.8 will still stay underneath it until it blows, or breaks. I got a 460 I'm going to be putting in, not anytime soon tho.
Gotcha. Planning a d60 front right away, or going to hold over with an 8lug swap on the TTB temporarily?

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gotcha. Planning a d60 front right away, or going to hold over with an 8lug swap on the TTB temporarily?
Forgot to answer that one for ya, sorry. I'm holding off on the Dana 60 for as long as the TTB lasts, but if I can pick one up for a reasonable price I'd like to have it laying around just to have one.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts