Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I are making some fiberglass cowl hoods we have the mold for it now we are working on making the hoods. I was wondering if anyone knows if the bondo fiberglass pads are any good or is we should go wither the normal stuff. Thanks for any input ill post pics when they're done

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
You will normally want to use a very thin low OZ weight to lay the bottom (or what is really the top) layer.

Then you can bulk it up with medium oz weight material. The woven material that is sometimes sewn is for re-inforcement areas.

Start with a 3/4 oz material, and then up that to a 2oz. In tight corners you can double up the lighter weight material. Don't over resin to make it easier to roll out air. Less resin is stronger, lighter, and less likely to crack. And be mindful of the catalyst also. To much will dry fast but WILL crack down the road, and the extra heat can warp and distort the panel when it's pulled from the mold.

To answer your question directly yes the Bondo stuff is fine as long is it's the right OZ weight.

If they don't have what you want look up a company called West Marine. They will have EVERY fiberglass item you would ever need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts