Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Fiberglass top maintainance

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  BigSteve77 
#1 ·
Does anyone have ideas as to care for the factory finish on a '95 FSB roof? I have searched through this websites' forums as well as all other related links, let alone inquiring at paint shops, and even a number of Ford dealerships. Mine is black and has become quite faded, (oxidized?), and the prevailing opinion seems to be either sand down and paint, or prep and paint to retain the original factory texture of the top. I have used Mother's "Back To Black", and this achieves the desired result but has to reapplied every couple of months or so as it fades as well. Is there another product that would work better with longer lasting results? Has anyone tried rubbing compound then wax? If so, how would that be applied? If paint is the truly the only option for my now dark gray roof, what prep and paint can be used to retain the "pebbled" finish. JLS

#2 ·
I had great success with the Fusion line of Krylon spray paint which is designed for plastic but also works on fiberglass. I believe several others on here have used it with good results also. I lightly sanded, wiped down with mineral spirits (paint thinner) and then applied several light coats. It took 3 cans for mine and has been looking good for 3 months now.

#3 ·
burger213 said:
I had great success with the Fusion line of Krylon spray paint which is designed for plastic but also works on fiberglass. I believe several others on here have used it with good results also. I lightly sanded, wiped down with mineral spirits (paint thinner) and then applied several light coats. It took 3 cans for mine and has been looking good for 3 months now.

did you apply a good wax afterwards? i am thinking that should help maintain it as well.

#4 ·
I'm interested in what other people have done also, as my '79's top is starting to look rather, "aged" I'm also curious as to what people have done with stress cracks.

#5 ·
On my '79, I clean it up with bleach (I have a white top) and a scrub brush. I plan on using one of those fiberglass bathtub refinish kits to restore the color to it and protect the fiberglass.

#9 ·
I sanded all my little bumps down and I had the top painted black when the truck was painted and now I just wax it when I wax the truck, there is no other thing that I need to do to it

#10 ·
Had the same problem I used 2 bottles of armorall low shine and let it soak into the fiber glass. It worked very good for me, and it lasted a long time probably like 4 months becuse it was the rainy months and then i drove through mud and power washed it. There was still armorall in it, it just was not as shiney, so i just lightly sprayed it again to make it look good again. Now it is all shiney and purdy.

#11 ·
Spray on Gel coat from a boating store. Its what you use on your boat when your refinishing it or just touching up. It cost more than normal paint and it only comes in gallons and half gallons as far as i know. But it is made for marine use and last a long time. it shine ups real nice with just soap and water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.