Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Garage kept
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the evolution of math since the 1950's in the U.S.A.....................

1. Teaching math in the 1950's - A logger sells a truck load of timber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching math in the 1960's - A logger sells a truck load of timber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit ?

3. Teaching math in the 1970's - A logger sells a truckload of timber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit ?

4. Teaching math in the 1980's - A logger sells a truckload of timber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment - Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching math in the 1990's - A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of the animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living ?
topic for class participation after answering the question :
How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes ? (There are no wrong answers and, if you feel like you need to cry, it's OK)

6. Teaching math in 2010 - Un hachero vende una caretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuantro dinero ha hecho ?

Is it funny ? No ? It's pathetic !

·
Registered
490 Posts
haha, sad but very true.

A about 6 years ago my little brother was learning long division in school, but they had this new way of teaching it so the numbers were broken down to less than 10 so you could use your fingers! I ended up teaching him the CORRECT way to perform long division since he was smart enough to count past 10 without using his fingers. I cannot believe crap like this.

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
I would get so pissed off when I would see the kid using a friggin calculator to do his math homework in JH and HS. I couldn't believe that they let the students a calculator for basic math.. Unbelievable. Well, I should say that maybe "most" of the students used a calculator. He didn't after I found out, atleast not at home.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would get so pissed off when I would see the kid using a friggin calculator to do his math homework in JH and HS. I couldn't believe that they let the students a calculator for basic math.. Unbelievable. Well, I should say that maybe "most" of the students used a calculator. He didn't after I found out, atleast not at home.
At my college I can't use a calculator on any test in the math department. It's sometimes a pita, but i understand why.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
At my college I can't use a calculator on any test in the math department. It's sometimes a pita, but i understand why.
I didn't either and once I got to like Calc 2&3 & diff equ. you don't need them. At that point, there is no +-/* its all conceptional and you either know it or you don't. Period. It weened a lot of people out of engineering for sure.

Plus you had the few asshats that had TI-89s that pretty much solved the question for you if you knew how to use it right-

To be honest, you should only be using a calculator for those problems that would take for ever with out, i.e. sin cos tan, logs and powers (above ^n+2 and above 15)

I agree with B-man, calculators in JH & HS should not be, they will be used as a crutch and abused. Causing our youth unable to preform basic math +-*/

Want to see how truly bad it is. Go to McDonald's and buy something. Bring a pocket full of change and pay with a 20 and exact change. They wont be able to tell you what your change will be until the put it into the computer.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Plus you had the few asshats that had TI-89s that pretty much solved the question for you if you knew how to use it right-
:rofl:

Work smart, not hard.:toothless

I had a TI-89 and had one of my mech engineer buddies show me how to really put it to good use. It made 300 level physics pretty simple, but in all 3 of my calculus classes, we couldn't use any graphing calculators.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I used a calculator in high school...but it was in Honors Geometry, Calculus and AP calculus...we could only use a TI-83 plus though. I personally think it's fine to use a calculator if you already know the basics. That doesn't mean that will keep me from pointing and laughing at you when I figure out the problem quicker in my head than you do on a calculator.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
:rofl:

Work smart, not hard.:toothless

I had a TI-89 and had one of my mech engineer buddies show me how to really put it to good use. It made 300 level physics pretty simple, but in all 3 of my calculus classes, we couldn't use any graphing calculators.
I'm not saying I didn't have one. But the ones that ruined it were the ones that just wrote down the answer the calculator spit out. For it was right, they showed no work what so ever. The older teachers caught on....

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
Sounds ALOT like a math test that I had to take today for a job application at a CNC equipped factory. NO devices other than the one that is in your skull. period. Using one will get your app round filed then and there. Have I ever mentioned that I HATE doing math in 0.whatever the heck equations... 60.027-1.38 = , 9.667-(3.813-1.783)= type of things. My head still heads from the 25 pages of this stuff. Math was never my strong suite anyways, but at least I got the job! ( Supervisor told me that the only reason that you have to do the math is to make SURE that you DO understand what you are doing, and by all means, do feel free to bring a calculator and use it. Everone on the floor does. )

·
Registered
674 Posts
.....but in all 3 of my calculus classes, we couldn't use any graphing calculators.
That's weird, where did you guys go to school? A TI-86 was required for Calc 1-3, and diff eq at NCSU, most of us had 89's. It still sucked. We still had to show our work. The calculator just gave the final answer.

But yea, they won't let ya use them on the PE exam. They did catch on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did pre-cal in hs and Cal1 and Cal 2 in college. We could use a TI-83. I never cheated or programmed it differently and the stuff was fairly difficult. Came out with an A in hs, and a B for cal 1 and an A in Cal 2.

I think using a calculator is fine as it saves you time... but if you don't know what 10% of 100 is, or 19x8 or, 35/8 is without a piece of paper and a pencil, then you need to learn teh basics (like somebody said above).

in response to the original post, that's true... and very alarming what this country is coming to - on both accounts - the lack of English speaking respondents and how math is getting a lot easier.

-rockstate

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
That's weird, where did you guys go to school? A TI-86 was required for Calc 1-3, and diff eq at NCSU, most of us had 89's. It still sucked. We still had to show our work. The calculator just gave the final answer.

I went to U of S. Carolina.

I was only one of a handful of people with a TI-89, most everyone had 83s which forced me to learn how to use the 89 because no one knew how to really use an 89 to its full potential.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

U of Michigan -Dearborn, like justin said, only a few had 89s, and none of us really knew how to use it to its' full potential.

Same with the FE, you can only use non graphing TI-36 or lower (Have one in front of me;))

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
FWIW...my little brother is in the 7th grade and they have their state wide End Of Grade testing this week. He was informed that they only needed to get a 60% on the test WITH calculators to move on to the next grade without having to attend summer school. Last year, only 74.2% of the students passed. Could they really, possibly dumb it down any further?

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
Appearantly so, if ONLY 74.2% passed last year WITH the use of a calculator. Think what the results would be if the had to use their brain, instead of the calculator.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
non graphing TI-36 or lower (Have one in front of me;))
I have my trusty 16 y/o TI-30x sitting in my desk drawer.

I think I can do more with that little guy than most normal folks (non science/engineering) can do with a TI-83.:rofl:

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,170 Posts
I have a TI-89 on my desk; my Algebra 1 teacher required me to get it a few years ago. I use it for everyday arithmetic now because I'm too lazy to bother pulling out a piece of paper. :goodfinge

1 - 20 of 24 Posts