Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently purchased a borgeson steering shaft and i noticed the directions say a seat must be provided on the steering gear input shaft, and the factory flat spot will not be used. I'm installing tge steering shaft in parallel with a redhead steering box. Both very expensive items so i want to do this right. My question is for those of you who have already installed one, how did you get a new flat spot on the steering gear input shaft? The directions say to file it but it seems like its a pretty solid piece to file. Thanks

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd file the cheaper part. But when I put a different steering wheel on my column, I filed a groove INTO the flat of the wheel hub - I didn't REMOVE any splines from the shaft. To position it, I just pressed the wheel onto the splines enough to make a mark, then used a common triangular file with a good, sharp corner. Take your time - if you break the file teeth off too quickly, you'll be buying more files. You're not filing into plastic - it'll take some time & elbow grease no matter which way you go.
I came across a thread writeup on installing a borgeson steering shaft, and i found that you do not need to fufile it after all. The directions say a seat must be provided, but i guess theres already a groove in the input shaft for the set screw. Someone from the other thread told me that it's eccentric. I'm guessing that means it's even all the way around huh?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh like a fuel pump eccentric.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DKM Mike did you install the new gear box and shaft? Any modifications for the installation? I just ordered the same setup for my 95 and was wondering how it helped yours and how easy the swap was. Thanks

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DKM Mike did you install the new gear box and shaft? Any modifications for the installation? I just ordered the same setup for my 95 and was wondering how it helped yours and how easy the swap was. Thanks
I installed the shaft and noticed a small difference, but the alignment shop said most of the play was due to a bad steering gear box. I'm waiting for my tax return to buy i redhead steering box. I'll keep you posted

1 - 5 of 5 Posts