Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions for removing a fill plug from the transfer case, when i orig bought truck i found this, now i have decided to def keep bko i want to change fluid. the cap is stripped out pretty good and has some sort of thread sealant (yellow) around edges. not sure if it is ok to drill, scared some shavings may enter.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
That yellow around the edge I would think (w/out seeing it) would be Teflon tape....the yellow colored one is supposed to work better than the white colored one at sealing where there will be oil/petroleum in contact.

Anyhow..........so exactly where are the threads buggered up? Can you snap a picture?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hi I was searching and have this same problem and was looking for some suggestions. I just did my transmission yesterday and started on doing the borg-warner transfer case unit. Before I pulled the drain plug I tried to open the top fill plug and found out the inside of the plug sockethead was rounded in 2 corners.

I have no problem getting the plug screwed back in but getting it off is the biggger issue ;)

Anybody have ran across this or have any help/hints/tips/tricks in removing a fill plug?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
broncoflorida said:
Hi I was searching and have this same problem and was looking for some suggestions. I just did my transmission yesterday and started on doing the borg-warner transfer case unit. Before I pulled the drain plug I tried to open the top fill plug and found out the inside of the plug sockethead was rounded in 2 corners.

I have no problem getting the plug screwed back in but getting it off is the biggger issue ;)

Anybody have ran across this or have any help/hints/tips/tricks in removing a fill plug?
try easy outs.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
I pounded a 3/8" drive extension into mine and it came out in one piece. Then I replaced it with a plug that sticks out and takes a wrench instead of the recessed one that takes a driver.

·
Registered
60 Posts
the problem starts with that everyone chooses to use a square drive from a rachet or what have you to remove it. there is a proper socket to remove plugs , the corners of the square drive are not as round as a rachet and the drive is also shorter therefore making it less likely to round it. they might help to grip it to get it out, should be able to buy them anywhere but i know for sure snap-on or mac tools

maybe this could get it
http://www.tradesman.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100316

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Get some square stock and grind it down to just a little bit bigger than the hole. Pound in and wrench it out. Cheap pipe plugs from home depot work fine as replacements.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
292 Posts
Any one find any aluminum plugs. I tried advanced and autozone, All I can find is steel ones. But atleast the still ones have a recessed allen head. So I think it wouldn't strip out as easy as the allum. square ones. but if I tighten it to tight my transcase could strip out. Taylors has copper ones, but not quite as soft as allum. these steel ones will have to work till I find allum ones
thanks
josh

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Had the same problem, I beat mine out with a chisel. It was a little hairy, but it worked. I replaced mine with steel ones from Home Depot. Brass might be a better choice if you're concerned about the steel ones stripping out the case threads. I looked around & couldn't find any aluminum ones, but I don't think I wanted them anyway after seeing how the original ones siezed up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Russel and Airoquip both make aluminum plugs. look in Jegs and summit. blue red and silver.

·
Registered
96 Posts
also they do make a tool to get those plugs i have one and we use to use them all the time when i worked at jeffy lube and at good year. i got mine from work and not sure where you can buy one.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mine was stripped when I bought my bronco. I wimped out and had express oil take it out (while they drained and refilled the transfer case). Only cost me $19.95 and a few minutes of my time.

"Mans got to know his limitations." (Clint Eastwood)

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I would say drill it and use of an easy out. When you do get it out, the problem is that peeps torque these up way too tight. I think the spec is like 10-15 ft lbs is all. I also see this frequently happen with the plug on 8.8's. I use a regular old 3/8" ext. to remove mine, works fine, but that's because it's torqued to spec.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts