Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
huh
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going crazy over here.. Ive followed the bleeding instructions on www.agrsteering.com, ive followed the instructions on pirate etc. and i cant get my system filled/bled.. Ive tried the last 2 or 3 days for at least 3 hours each night.. Ive got a huuuuuuuuge puddle of ps fluid under the truck. Is there some sort of pressure filler/bleeder thing i can rent/buy or make?? Im going crazy..

Front tires are off the ground. I fill the pump and begin cycling the wheels left to right from lock to lock. (engine off).... 20-40 times then check the fluid.. same level...... another set.. check it again.. no change..
I disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm and try again... same results.. if i move the tires without the drag link connected then it overflows the pump.

Finally went against agr's instructions and let my dad turn the bronco on (maybe for 10 seconds) while i filled the resevoir. He shut it off and everything that had gone in overflowed. Weve tried disconnecting hoses so air could come out but we havent had much success.. Theres about 2 quarts of ps fluid on the ground , maybe more..
Ive got 2 and half quarts of ps fluid to go before i start beating the $#!t out of my truck with my face.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :cry

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
That can be a serious PITA. Sounds like you have air in the gear box somewhere. I have had similar problems in the past and what I have done is just run it. It may not be the best idea but it has worked for me. The air will eventually run itself out. Obviously keep an eye on the level as it will drop.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wow... I'm quite glad now that I didn't take my PS pump off to get to that damn freeze plug... I was scared of this happening.

·
huh
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more info..

i just rebuilt the box so it was dry.
the ram was dry
the cooler was probably dry.
the pump as well..

·
huh
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gonna try this tomorrow..
1. Have the front tires off the ground to get the weight off the steering. BLEED THE SYSTEM FREE OF AIR.

2. Fill reservoir filter with P/S fluid and screw on to the bottom of reservoir.

3. Remove reservoir cap (Keep off until ready to drive vehicle. It helps to vent the system.)

4. Loosen the two fittings at the ram & let the P/S fluid push the air out (Ram fitting must be facing upwards.)

5. Loosen the fittings at the box & pump (To let air out.)

6. When all air is out of the system-tighten all fittings.

7. Crank over engine 3-4 times, but don't start yet. Make sure the reservoir cap is still off.

8. Add P/S fluid into reservoir until level reaches baffle.

9. When all air is out of the reservoir, start engine and let it run for 2 minutes without turning steering wheel.

10. After 2 minutes slowly turn steering wheel back/forth, but not to the stops (or pump will go to high pressure.) Recheck P/S fluid level in reservoir.

11. Shut off engine and let sit for 5 minutes with reservoir cap still off (Add P/S fluid if needed.)

12. Start engine. Note: If P/S fluid in reservoir drops, you still have air in the system (Repeat steps 4-12.)

13. If fluid didn't drop, apply reservoir cap and drive.
http://www.howeperformance.com/bleedinginst.html

·
huh
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a weird one here.. Did alot of searching but couldnt find an answer..

Just finished bleeding the system and i started up the truck to finish off the process.. When i barely turn the steering wheel to the right the ram cranks the tires to the left (real fast) if i turn the steering wheel to the left the ram cranks the tires to the right (fast)...

I switched the hoses just to make sure they were on right. Even disconnected the drag link so i wouldnt mess up the box. Now when i turn the steering wheel to the right the tires go the left but not fast. just normal and in the wrong direction. same thing if i turn the steering wheel to the left. tires go to the right at a normal speed.

What could be wrong?...

Heres a pic of where i tapped the box.

here...

and here...

Its a 95 Ford Bronco.
Has a saginaw pump, ford box, cooler and AGR ram.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks..

i was following the bleeding instructions on this page http://www.howeperformance.com/bleedinginst.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts