Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of F250 tow loops off ebay for $10.00 mounted them to a piece of 300 series stainess steel 5/8" thk. and made a 7/8" spacer to clear the crumple zone on the frame. The pictures are links to all the pictures of the mounting.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
You also might want to go a purchase a couple of d-rings...found out thru experiance that its hard to fit a yank strap thru that style hook.

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
Stainless is weaker than most other steel, so it's generally not used for structural components, but at that thickness & in that specific application, it looks OK. It would have been better to use the full thickness to attach the 3 rear bolts, and to run the rearmost bolt all the way thru the crumple zone to the top of the frame. Having only 2 bolts thru the frame so far from the line of force will put a lot of torque on them, and I suspect if you do any hard pulls, or if anyone uses a snatch strap on you, those 2 bolts could rip thru your frame. Even a backup plate inside the frame would be a big improvement.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I want, is your opinions on if it's strong enough or needs more strength, the crumple zone has been an obsticle to overcome. I didn't like the loop being mounted so far away from the mounting bolts on the frame. I'm going to make the steel plates to put inside the frame rails and bolt the rearmost bolt through the crumple zone. I'm also going to add another 1/2" bolt through the frame into the stainless.
Thanks for all the help.
Kenny

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
kenny, let us know how it turns out after those add'l mods and give us more pix :thumbup

·
Had a mullet in HS
1,084 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
I wouldn't hook up to them, I'd be afraid they would flying through my windshield. :shocked
No $#!+

I can sympathize with wanting what you want...but I would have boxed around the crumple zone to create a flat surface like Dustin did

Except keeping the bumper mounts, then use a bolt that goes all the way thru the frame and bolts at the top

Yes this is allot of work, but if you've read enough horror stories, especially the one where the father of 2 small kids was killed when the end of the strap he was towing another vehicle with gave way and slingshot thru the back window and killed him....etc

The extra work is worth the safety...it always is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts