Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as a few of yall know I started on my rock sliders a while back. Well, after a few nights of mock up and welding and a lot of grinding me and my dad finished my sliders tonight.

I made them out or 1 1/2" .120 wall square tubing and used some 1/2" plate I found pre drilled for the mounting brackets.

On the passenger side I made it pretty much just like 90beater's. And on the driver's side I ran out of tubign and just decided to make some 1/4" gussets instead of the cross bracing between the mounting legs. I'm using 3-1/2"x1" grade 8 bolts and washers. I'm only using 3 because the main purpose for these are steps into my truck. I'm putting 2 on top an 1 of the bottom.

Painting them tomorrow w/ some Walmart truck bed paint.

Here's some pics:

45'd the corners

Mounting plates

There's the difference between the 2. I think they're both plenty strong enough. Kind or wish I had done it the way the front one is done.

Sorry for the cell phone pics. I'll take some w/ my digital camera when I put them on tomorrow.

What do yall think?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah and that. I first was going to make everything like 90beater's but then I changed it a little. Forgot that that is different. Haven't seen many like mine so I'm happy LOL. I should've made them a little shorter but they still look good. They fit nice and tight about 4" off of the body and about 1/4" off the rocker. It sits against oth body mount bolts.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k4famu- how far do your sliders stick out from the rocker?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Looks good. IMO if your only going to use 3 bolts, use 2 on the bottom and 1 on the top. You are not going to put much weight on them by useing them as a step, but the truck resting on them is. Just a thought.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats why I figured I'd put the 2 on top. More down pressure.

kf4amu- thats what mine is just wondering about how other people have theirs. I put mine out there that far because I will use it more as a step than bashing rocks and stuff. But I do a lot of trail riding that has limbs and stuff and I think that the sliders sticking out that far will help keep them of the paint a little better also.

Thanks guys. GHot the paint last night. Spraying them at lunch.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Your going to love them. I would guess that mine stick out that far and have been great for me. They do protect the body from things bouncing up and hitting the side of the truck.

Here is a pic of mine from a while ago. Remember that mine are made of 2x2 square stock.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks AU. I liked the radiused edges of the 1 1/2'' tubing better so I chose it. Let me know bout next weekend too for Aetna. I'll get you directions if you need them.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

Why do they look like two totally different sliders? They are not symetrical. They are not a left and a right.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
he stated that the two were different. It looks like he might of had a mounting problem and had to move the support tube back on the one side :shrug

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
he stated that the two were different. It looks like he might of had a mounting problem and had to move the support tube back on the one side :shrug
No, this is what he said
On the passenger side I made it pretty much just like 90beater's. And on the driver's side I ran out of tubign and just decided to make some 1/4" gussets instead of the cross bracing between the mounting legs. I'm using 3-1/2"x1" grade 8 bolts and washers. I'm only using 3 because the main purpose for these are steps into my truck. I'm putting 2 on top an 1 of the bottom.
That is one of the things I was partly refferring to, but what I was pointing out, is what will clearly be seen once it is mounted. It will be funtional, but they are not the same.

This is why you tack everything first, trial fit it, then weld it when you are satisfied with what you have built. Looks good though and in time he will make a good fitter if that is the direction he wants to go.

Looks better than anything I could have fabbed up at 17 and puts anyhting hemi ever built to shame, that' for sure.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, this is what he said

That is one of the things I was partly refferring to, but what I was pointing out, is what will clearly be seen once it is mounted. It will be funtional, but they are not the same.

This is why you tack everything first, trial fit it, then weld it when you are satisfied with what you have built. Looks good though and in time he will make a good fitter if that is the direction he wants to go.

Looks better than anything I could have fabbed up at 17 and puts anyhting hemi ever built to shame, that' for sure.
Hey walt, the gussets and cross bar are the only thing different. But I did have to move the mounting legs off center for them to mount to the frame correctly. They fit at the same place in between both fenders and everything but on the driver's side I had trouble with some bolts and parking brake cable and all that. That is why they look totally different. We tacked everything twice LOL because we tried it more on center and it wouldn't work then moved them over and found a place that fit good. It was dark by the time I mounted them tonight but I'll get yall some pics.

Good eye though figured someone would say something way before you did.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's some painted pics before the final install. Painted them with some plasti-color truck bed liner and rustoleum textured flat black(ran out of the bed liner paint). It came out good and matches the bumper's powdercoating really good. It's gritty and seems like it'll hold up good.

All painted up:

Nice view of our shop too the awesome 3/4" thick welding table.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks man.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
When you say our shop, do you mean the school shop, or your dads?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Work. Both mine, my dads, uncles, cousins, and a few others. We build parts for yarn and things.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts