Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm a previous owner of an `86 EB, which I loved, but sold (for $800!) after my first wife left (I was a little insane at the time). I replaced it with a `97 STX Ranger SuperCab 4x4, which has been reasonably good to me for the last 200K, but I've spent a *lot* of time looking at Broncos. I really miss that EB, and kick myself every time I think of how cheaply I sold it.

Just this last Thursday, during a middlin'-major snowstorm, I was taking the "scenic route" home from work (middle of nowhere road, reasonably deep snow, playing around in 4H), and happened to notice a familiar outline under a lot of snow. I stopped to look, and it had a FS sign in the window. `94 XLT, leather interior, 5.0, E40D, and the second best part, only 86K miles. The best part? $3800 obo, which turned into $3200 after I drove it. (Around here, that's a good price.)

Anyway, usual small problems, clockspring, ABS light, rear window needed lube, rust on the wheelwells and a little behind the door, the usual places. Tailgate is solid, though there's something goofy with the keyswitch (unplug it from the motor, I get +12 and -12 as it should, plug it in, nothing happens with the keyswitch, though the dash switch works fine). I'll double-check the ground, but more likely will just use the line currently driving the motor to drive a couple of relays instead. Had to fix the driver's keylock as well, the actuator rod popped loose and got bent by the power window. Nothing I can't deal with, just a little annoying to have to open the pass. door to get in the truck. Needs tie-rod ends and some steering clean-up, but that's minor.

Inside is very clean. I'm probably going to leave it basically stock (aside from the sunroof that's already there), just upgrade the speakers to match the aftermarket head unit, maybe add a small sub box. Underhood, I've got a K&N drop-in on order, and I'll be switching over to full synthetic everywhere soon (once I get the small rear-main leak fixed). Any suggestions on synth for the axles/tranny/transfer?

This is my daily driver, so I'm going to stick with the 31x10.5 BFG AT T/A's that were on the Ranger.

It's got a 3.55 LS rear in it (H9), so it's not too terrible at speed, mileage-wise, when you get the E40D into OD. ~1950 at indicated 75, about
14.5 MPG right now, which is only about 1 MPG less than I was getting with my Ranger, sadly. I figure some tune-up action will help that.

I'd forgotten what it was like to have a V-8, though. I had to get home quickly today, and got on it pretty hard on the freeway. It was fairly cool to be able to just walk away from cars that were doing 80 before they moved over out of my way. You could darn near see the gas gauge going down, though.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal. Test out the search function and you'll have no problem getting the couple things fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts