Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some quality time with Brutus [the '78] this weekend. As a woman it is my perogative to change my mind, and I've decided to keep Brutus. :toothless

I've been having issues with the MSD. The tech guy at MSD said they've had problems with Ford wiring being high resistance and the 6A box needs a full 12 volts to fire. I wired in a relay all by myself, so that when the key is turned a full 12 volts from the battery goes to the 6A box. Been firing like a charm. Then I pulled my dash out and replaced the switch to the rear window only to find a known good switch didn't work. I guess there's some other problem somewhere and I gotta do some reading.

Then I saw a restored '79 same color blue as Brutus at the parts store on some 33x12.5s and decided it looked pretty sharp. I wanted to talk to the guy, but dad was in a hurry. My numero uno priority is to at least get it all one color of primer and take care of the rust. I may not have it done by May like I want, to drive it to the Supernats for the 40th anniversary of the Bronco, but we'll see. After hanging out the window and listening to the happy rumble of the 429 [I still get perma-grin] and after the deep inhale of the 'old truck' smell and the clean interior, I'd be a dumb ass to let it go.

SO on to the burnout. Our local dragstrip is closing. :( Sold to make room for a shopping center. We didn't find out til this week that they had to be out in 20 days. The local racers contacted the guy that was running it and he let us in for our "memorial service" of sorts. He said if we asked to run on the track, he'd have to tell us no, so nobody asked and he turned a blind eye. [He was even out there himself.] I got to make 2 passes with the big pig. No idea on the time, but it was cool going wide open down the track.

Here's my brother doing a burnout:

He roasted 'em pretty good.

Couldn't resist driving up on the bank on the way out.

It was a sad day for the local racers. I don't know what we'll do with ourselves on Friday nights with no racing. There's 50 years of history in this track. Big names like Richard Petty, Shirley Muldowney and Big Daddy Don Garlits raced here.

See about that 2nd or 3rd light pole? Richard Petty used to race I believe it was a '67 or '68 Barracuda, he lost control of the car and went over the gaurd rail and into the crowd. The wreck killed an eight year old boy. Petty never drag raced again.

·
Wanna see my
4,450 Posts
Sad to see one close. It will be sad day in history when the local track here closes. What was the top speed of brutus in the 1/4. If you know that then we can get you a time.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
some formula that i was taught in science class one year i think its distance / speed = time or somthing like that

cool seeing a bronc spitin back some rubber instead of mud :rockon

·
12B/88M
178 Posts
Sweet Azzz pics....I wish my 302 would let me do that... :(

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
arkansawer said:
What was the top speed of brutus in the 1/4. If you know that then we can get you a time.
Ya know, I didn't even look at the speedo. It's an 1/8th mile track and I had it strung out, I didn't even shift to third. :toothless And yeah, I know those formulas for all that stuff and there's so many variables it can give you a general idea, but nothing specific.

non_tac said:
Sweet Azzz pics....I wish my 302 would let me do that...
My brother did one with the little 318 in his '84 Dodge Ram 4x4 on 33" MTs. I didn't get pics on my camera, but our buddy Wayne did.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Damn, Mels, you gotta show the rest of us that you got the stuff! You do!

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
burnouts are cool, the day before i got the new tires mounted on my Bronco (Betty), I lit the rear 31's up and just hung onto it. I was wiping rubber out of the rear wells for a while.

We've had several tracks close around here. A local oval track closed, and that ended my oval track career, never felt like driving 3 hours to get to the next one. Guess NASCAR wasn't in my future.

Glad to see you out and about Mels......see ya at the meet and greet.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think you would be sorry if you let it go.

And as for the rust.

What Fawlking rust? That reddish stuff on the fender? That is just paint color change. Rust removes quarter panels and wheelwells, and leaves holes in the floorboards.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
There closing Dallas?

Damn. I have 1 or 2 fond memorys there.

That fawking sucks.

Brutis is the Mack, as always Babe :thumbup

But I am sad about Dallas. :cry

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Smoke em if ya got em Mel!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
do you want a website dedicated to paint your own vechile in your garage? i found one that gives all types of good advise! let me know and i will get it!

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies ya'll. :thumbup

Oscar said:
hey girl are you going to bring Brutus to the m&g this time
Did I not bring it when you came last time? Then yeah, I'll bring it for sure, I was kinda leanin' either Bronco, but if you wanna see the 'ol rusty thing, I'll bring it. Just for you. ;)

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Long live Brutus !!!!!

Excellent rethink BroncoBabe ! I'm picturing him all one colour of Viper electric blue !

Seeing as 400 tranmissions bolt right up to 460s, tell me again what you need to make him spin the fronts again ?

Sixlitre

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
BroncoBabe said:
Thanks for all the replies ya'll. :thumbup

Did I not bring it when you came last time? Then yeah, I'll bring it for sure, I was kinda leanin' either Bronco, but if you wanna see the 'ol rusty thing, I'll bring it. Just for you. ;)
:twotu:

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sixlitre said:
Long live Brutus !!!!!

Excellent rethink BroncoBabe ! I'm picturing him all one colour of Viper electric blue !

Seeing as 400 tranmissions bolt right up to 460s, tell me again what you need to make him spin the fronts again ?

Sixlitre
I just need a front driveshaft. When the exhaust system was put in, I told buddy to leave room for the driveshaft - because it wasn't in at the time - and apparantly he didn't listen. Plus I did a t-case swap - from NP203 to NP 205 and I don't think it'll go in now either. So part of the plan with the headers and new exhaust is to have it done where I can put the driveshaft back in...after I find the driveshaft, I have no idea where it's at. :brownbag

And it's going back like it is, the factory blue and silver. That '79 I saw at the parts store was a solid blue with white top and I just wasn't feelin it like the two tone blue and silver.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
cool to see Brutus again mels, but one question, why aren't YOU doing the burn-out with YOUR truck?!!? :twak

sorry to hear about losing the drag strip to a shopping center. damn corporations.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts