Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago I notices gear oil coming out onto the inside of rear tire of my Bronco. Pulled the wheel and drum and of course oil seal is shot and brakes are saturated with oil. Give the axle shaft a shake and you guessed it, 150k miles woth of play in the shaft. Pulled the drums off my parts truck and those axles were nice and tight, so I saved a couple bucks on having to buy axles. Just needed the time do do the swap.
Weather has been good here in Jersey so I figured I would get to it when I could.
I got my arse out of bed early today, finally some time to work on the Bronco. Parts from Rockauto arrived last week.

MISSION:
Pull good rear axle shafts out of parts truck and install into my driver with new bearings, seals etc. Do the brakes while I am at it.

As I said I have the parts

I never even looked outside, opened the garage to this.

Just enough snow to put a hold on my plans. I would brave it but the wind is blowing it all over the place. I could get one of the two in the garage but would still have to do some work outside. Didn't take long to convince myself to stay inside and peck at the computer a while. Maybe I will try again next weekend.

I put the bearings back in the freezer.

Who else does this and does it help? An old timer told me to do this and I figured it cant hurt. Maybe shrink the bearing .0000000001"

Got to get the shoveling done before the wife gets back.............See ya!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It's a job getting the axle bearings out of a 8.8 rearend. On the passenger side I used a slide hammer, it was a job. The slide hammer wasn't getting the job done on the drivers side so I made up a puller to get the bearing out. It ended up being an all day job to replace the axle bearings and seals. After the first few hits with the slide hammer the bearing is trashed so you have no choice but to keep going. If you haven't changed your wheel cylinders lately you might want to change them also when you do your brake job. I buy the lifetime warranty wheel cylinders that way when I change shoes it gets new wheel cylinders everytime.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was explained to me that a cold bearing will shrink slightly to ease installing it into the housing. As said above, I guess this will only work if your axle housing is at a normal temp, not out in the snow.

I had a hart time doing the axles on my previous bronco, an 89. The bolt/pin thingy broke inside the diff so I couldn't get the shaft or spider gears out. Had to hammer it until it broke, figured I had nothing to lose. Between the hammering and going for additional parts it turned into a whole day job. Thats why I replace it now whenever I have it apart. If you notice in my picture of parts you will see one.

Wheel cylinders looked OK, I will get a better look and replace them if needed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Chris340 said:
Who else does this and does it help? An old timer told me to do this and I figured it cant hurt. Maybe shrink the bearing .0000000001"
RLKROB said:
Never heard of putting them in the freezer. What could you gain by it?

I do this with bearings, ball joints, and anything else that is a press fit.

We went over this fairly recently in my machine shop when we were going over heat treating and such.

First, most ferrous metals are pretty stable at about 68*F. Any measurements and such should be done at that temp.

for every 100* up or down mild steel will shrink or grow, respectively, .001" per inch of length.

So yes, the old timer's trick does work.

·
Registered
538 Posts
He could use a torch to heat up the axle then put in the cold bearings.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well wait until after thursday, i think its supposed to warm back up by us then. You could just use the torch method and the frozen bearing. Should make it somewhat easier on you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the axles swap, bearings, seals, etc yesterday. CJBronco you were right, could you believe it actually made it into the 60's in January.

Everything went pretty smooth. Axles were grooved really bad. Doner axles were perfect. Yes the bearings were a bitch to get out, thank god for this puller and I still had to pound for a while.

My frozen bearings went in like butter.

I had some good news and bad though.
Good is I found out my truck has a posi. Door jam sticker calls out for an open diff but when I opened her up...Suprise!!!.... a posi. What do you know the tag even says 3L55. Never even thought to look.
Bad is I found these metal pieces inside the bottom of the axle housing. They are flat about 3/4"square and 1/16" thick.

Can anyone tell me what they are and if need to be concerned? Rear seems good and makes no noise.

Thanks
Chris

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
Looks like the clutch plates have come apart. You could simply order a rebuild kit for your posi unit and replace the disc's and plates. HAs your posi acted up like wouldn't pull both tires. Mine did that after i scratched third with my built up 89150 yeah i snatched the plates apart;)

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Well hell yeah it was 80 here today!! I dont miss that weather at all. I was from connecticut. I have 200k on my axles and my pass side is leaking very slightly. But I have a 9". It should be easier i guess. Did you buy the puller or rent it? Is it worth it to buy one?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rear seems to pull both tires fine, but if those are ears off the clutch plates I will get a kit and freshen it up.

I borrowed the puller from a friend, he told me I was gonna need it. I have a small dent puller style slide hammer that would not have worked. I'll think I will get my own set like the one pictured, you can pull just about everything you need to. Its got attachments for everything like balancers, steering wheel, pilot bushings/bearinge, etc.
I dont think you need a puller for the 9", I think the bearings are pressed to the axles on that one.

Back in the 30's today and rain, snow to the north. I definitly got lucky this weekend.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Chris340 said:
It was explained to me that a cold bearing will shrink slightly to ease installing it into the housing. As said above, I guess this will only work if your axle housing is at a normal temp, not out in the snow.

I had a hart time doing the axles on my previous bronco, an 89. The bolt/pin thingy broke inside the diff so I couldn't get the shaft or spider gears out. Had to hammer it until it broke, figured I had nothing to lose. Between the hammering and going for additional parts it turned into a whole day job. Thats why I replace it now whenever I have it apart. If you notice in my picture of parts you will see one.

Wheel cylinders looked OK, I will get a better look and replace them if needed.
i've had that little pin break off before.

curious, wtf did you hammer to get it apart? If that pin breaks off inside, you're screwed, job over. what's your secret? what and how did you hammer with?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
v8only said:
i've had that little pin break off before.

curious, wtf did you hammer to get it apart? If that pin breaks off inside, you're screwed, job over. what's your secret? what and how did you hammer with?

I got a short pece of bar stock and a big hammer, put the diff in a position to get a strait shot at the shaft and started hammering, hoping to sheer the pin and push the shaft through. Ater a bunch of good shots to my suprise the end of the shaft broke off right where it is drilled for the pin. That hole is drilled real close to the end. I am sure I got lucky that the shaft was the first to break and not the carrier, but again I had nuthin to loose. The broken shaft was burred bad and I was not able to push it out with my fingers from behind so I hammered it through toward the pinion just enough not to prevent the diff from turning. Spun the carrier 180 grabbed the small exposed part of the shaft with a vise grip and worked it out. It did score the inside of the spider gears on the way out. I cleaned the inside of the spiders up best I could with some fine emery, put it back together with new shaft, pin, axles and axle bearings and was good as new.
If the rear made any noise I didn't hear it with the Mud Terrains anyhow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts