Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of people complain about how much of a pain in the ass it is to get in the pass side. Especially my dad lol. Well i sourced some new factory ford black grab handles through my local dealer and my dad helped me get them installed this morning. Used some metal nut inserts that use a tool to grab the threads and expand the insert on the back side of the metal securing it in place, the rear hole of the grab handle uses a hole that was already there on both sides just had to be drilled larger for the nut insert. I mocked up the grab handles once the rear nut inserts were installed to mark and drill the front nut insert holes. We took some masking tape and aligned the edge of the tape along the indentation on the headliner that was left from the plastic trim. Stuck a pick through the front upper trim hole and then marked the two nut inserts and transferred the tape to the trim to mark and drill the holes. Since there is a air gap between the trim and nut inserts i ended up using flange nuts that were approx 3/8” thick. I put the flange of the spacer nut towards the trim, that way when the handle bolts get tightened they will slightly pull the trim in but then stop when the spacer nut gets compressed. They turned out great and are super solid. Ended up installing one on both sides.

028AF2E0-C399-4358-8223-69E80CB27238.jpeg

E56A3BAA-98D1-446C-8B5D-00E0EE69719D.jpeg

6B7D1DFF-4F91-4238-A725-375646C759B5.jpeg

3E7E5707-7402-4F49-B670-B855A00C0256.jpeg

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great job man. I need to do exactly this as my wife is always looking for something to hold onto and complaining about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah eveytime someone rides with me they complain about it lol

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those ford handles are available in black, parchment and two different grays i think. The two handles and 4 plugs cost me around $40

·
Registered
27 Posts
And when you went to the dealer, you just told them you needed handles? What model is this from?

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And when you went to the dealer, you just told them you needed handles? What model is this from?

Oh no lol the parts guys arent that good. I will post the part numbers, gotta find the box. The ones on my dads 03 super duty are the same just gray.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,130 Posts
I bought similar grab handles on eBay a few years back. Designed for a Ford Van door. I still haven't installed them, so thanks for the inspiration. 👍

Nice, clean looking interior too, btw.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a clean install also I like that interior shined up.
Thank you

I have too otherwise with it degreased and cleaned its almost chalky lol i cant stand it so i use leather conditioner, i took the pics after i just did it but it usually sucks some of it up and dries a little less glossy

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,641 Posts
Once I can start working on my stuff again...I'll be doing this. These are invaluable if you need to get in with...lets say busted ribs..
Curious if you tried looking at A-pillar mounting at all? Like in a Super Duty or F150(99-up)

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,309 Posts
I added one above the plastic over the door like ScottMoore's in the pic below. My altitude challenged wife uses it all the time. Mine came from the junkyard, out of a Lincoln's back seat iirc (The handle came from the JY, not the wife. I got her at Ace Hardware :toothless). If I had it to do over, I'd probably try to install an A pillar handle like you find in a Super Duty. She says the handle in the SD is easier to use.

I put one on the pass. side.

·
Registered
1991 xlt bronco
8 Posts
That interior just doesnt let me look at the handles. (Super clean). Great idea on em though.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,359 Posts
nice job..I've toyed around with the idea of putting these in mine, but I need something a little lower to help climb in...

·
Registered
303 Posts
What screws did you use to hold it in place? i need to do this ASAP

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Problem with the a pillar mount is that the trim sticks out way farther than the a piller, im sure it can be done but would need a lot of shimming behind the plastic trim

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,641 Posts
Problem with the a pillar mount is that the trim sticks out way farther than the a piller, im sure it can be done but would need a lot of shimming behind the plastic trim
took a look at a super duty/F150 pillar handle...its built to accommodate the trim vs pillar difference it seems.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,130 Posts
I don't imagine you've got one Tom but if anybody came across the setup, I'd love to see how the SD handles that gap between body and trim. That's one of the things that made me delay. Too much washer stacking or the like could easily lead to the handle pulling down, warping the metal, etc.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts