Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine bought this for the engine that he was going to put in his '78 F150 to replace his 400. But, he decided he didn't want to mess with it and was going to sell it for what he bought it for...$600. I jumped on it. The 460 has been gone through...but we don't know what's really been done to it. Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, Holly 650 carb, new waterpump, and a new distributor is what I can see from the outside. We're pretty sure it has a cam in it by the way it lopes at idle, and by removing the valve cover breather, you can read "Competition" on one of the internals. The valvetrain needs to be tuned, as it makes a racket under load, and the timing needs to be set. But other than that, she's ready to go.

Currently has a C6...but I'm hoping to find a NP435 soon!
Oh, and since this is going to be my offroad beater...I've decided to throw in a D80 rear axle (which I have), and a D60 front once I find one.

The rear window still works!
And can someone tell me what the hell the thing on the firewall/hood is? Looks like something to center the hood with when it closes...is this a rare factory option? Aftermarket? It has the front bumper and roll bar, as well as the handling package with dual shocks and rear sway-bar...

More pictures to come...It was raining all day today, so I could only snap a few when it let up.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Nice truck, gots lots of potential for a good trail rig, however I got a few recommendation:

- the glass fuel filter is too close to the block, I'd imagine if you drop in a hole or something the strong jerk can knock the filter in the medal causing it to break, with all the fire disaster potential that carries.

- the advance can on the dizzy is hooked up to the "ported" vacuum source on the carb, you may wanna use a vacuum "manifold" for a smoother idle and better throttle response.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice truck, gots lots of potential for a good trail rig, however I got a few recommendation:

- the glass fuel filter is too close to the block, I'd imagine if you drop in a hole or something the strong jerk can knock the filter in the medal causing it to break, with all the fire disaster potential that carries.

- the advance can on the dizzy is hooked up to the "ported" vacuum source on the carb, you may wanna use a vacuum "manifold" for a smoother idle and better throttle response.
Thanks for the tips. I am new to the whole Carb/Dizzy world...so what is this vacuum manifold you speak of? Is it just something you put in the line somewhere between the advance and the carb?

Also...how does the advance work? Does it advance or retard the timing depending on the throttle imput?

What dizzy would you recommend if I wanted to do away with the electronic stuff and the advance?

·
Registered
712 Posts
A dizzy like yours has two advance mechanisms in it - a centrifugal (also referred to as mechanical), and vacuum. The centrifugal works strictly off the engine rpms, at idle tis inactive, and as the rpms start to rise the mechanical advance engages and does its thing. Vacuum advance on the other hand runs off vacuum supplied through that hose, the more vacuum the more advance pulled at the dizzy. Vacuum advance is load-dependent, as under load (accelerating, climbing, pulling a heavy trailer) the vacuum is low so there is little advance added to the total timing. "Ported" and "manifold" vacuum refers to how the source works - ported vacuum is zero at idle, rises with rpms somewhat, then goes to zero at WOT, whereas the manifold vacuum is strong at idle, weaker at cruise, and zero at WOT. Your Holley carb should have the manifold vacuum port at the base somewhere under the front fuel bowl, the port you're using now is the "ported" type so at idle your vacuum advance is disengaged and you're running only on initial timing (and maybe a bit of centrifugal advance, but not much). There's no real timing-retard mechanism in this dizzy, just when the vacuum drops the can don't pull as much advance as it used to at cruise, so effectively the timing gets retarded from where it would be with no load. Does that make any sense?

Here, read these if you wanna know more:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/03/timing/
http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=5543

Oh, yeah, stay with the Duraspark system you got now, tis good and very reliable when in good condition.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help! I'll poke around under the hood tomorrow before work and see what we can do. I need a timing light thought...

This weekend, I hope to check/replace the plugs/wires, fix the valvetrain noise, get a new valve cover breather (mine leaks), put the air cleaner on, and whatever else.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do not mess with the dizzy before you get the rest of the ignition system (plugs, wires, coil, electronic module) in good shape. Also if you really want a simple ignition system, they make HEI-type dizzies for Fords too - you only run one 10-gauge wire to the dizzy and that's all, plus the tach output is right there already so you don't have to tap into any wiring. You also get the ease of swapping springs & weights every Chevy guy enjoys, but at the easy to reach location every Ford guy enjoys (Chevy dizzy is in the rear engine behind carb), so tis kinda best of both worlds. You can get a HEI dizzy for a 460 for about $50 on ebay, however I dunno how good those actually are, for one thing if I ever go that road I'd also visit the GM parts counter for an OEM module for the HEI to take advantage of the variable dwell aftermarket HEI modules ain't got for some reason...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More:

The interior is flawless...just needs to be put back together :thumbup And yes...that is a toilet in the back! :histerica It came with the package...must be a camper special!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dude...you need to learn how to resize pics...
Dude, they fit my screen just fine. And yeah, I know how to resize...didn't feel like it, and you see more details this way. Maybe you need to adjust your settings...

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
Dude, they fit my screen just fine. And yeah, I know how to resize...didn't feel like it, and you see more details this way. Maybe you need to adjust your settings...
ya they fit your screen...just trying to think of the guys on dial up and smaller screens...maybe I just need to delete your thread?:goodfinge

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Abusing your power...nice! :doh0715:

I'm on a 15" screen instead of my 20"...and they fit fine.

Want me to add a "56k beware"?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
You can't.

I hate when pics are to big and then you have to scroll across the screen to read all of the post or additional posts.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
Abusing your power...nice! :doh0715:

I'm on a 15" screen instead of my 20"...and they fit fine.

Want me to add a "56k beware"?
nope...just trying to make the site user friendly for all...

you cant change a title...I will add it for you.

·
Registered
712 Posts
You got the fenderwell-exit headers, nice! But your interior ain't flawless, matter of fact I see one huuuge flaw right there - where's your instrumental cluster bubba, how you gonna how much gas ya got in that tank? :toothless lol

As far as the size of pics, they fit my laptop screen just fine with the bookmarks on one side and the IM on the other, but I have the resolution cranked up as high as it goes. When I wanna post pics I upload them on Supermotors.net and they automatically resize them, the original size picture is still there but you gotta click on the smaller one to see it, so in forums I just post the smaller version and whoever wants to look at details can just click on it and it will open usually in a new tab or browser window - it helps the threads load faster, and easier to navigate. All that said, can you please take pictures of the headers in the engine bay, I'd like to see how they clear the steering shaft on the driver side and the wiring on the passenger side?

·
Registered
216 Posts
big pics

I like the big pics. I like the extra detail. Anyway looks like you have you work cut out for you. Nice truck. Alot of potential. Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nope...just trying to make the site user friendly for all...

you cant change a title...I will add it for you.
Just to let you know, I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I am a very scarcastic person, which I try to show through my words...but it's hard to do on forums. I do my best to obey the rules and not step on feet. :thumbup

You got the fenderwell-exit headers, nice! But your interior ain't flawless, matter of fact I see one huuuge flaw right there - where's your instrumental cluster bubba, how you gonna how much gas ya got in that tank? lol

The green arrows are the clusters, and the red arrow is the trim piece. I have two of each:

All that said, can you please take pictures of the headers in the engine bay, I'd like to see how they clear the steering shaft on the driver side and the wiring on the passenger side?
No problem...I'll get them in the morning

Thanks to everyone for the replies! :thumbup I asked earlier...but does anyone know what the thing is thats rivited to the hood & firewall? Is it factory? I've talked to all kinds of old Ford nuts (my dad included), and they have never seen anything like it?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,336 Posts
Yes Factory, It is to center the hood (i think), and to keep it from moving once its shut.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts