Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,195 Posts
Those chainsaw mills rock. Imma need to get me one of those when we get our acreage

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
those look great..nothing like the smell of freshly milled lumber mixed with the scent of 2 stroke..

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The picture doesn't doesn't show the thickness well. The upper one is just the left over slab. The middle one is 3" thick and the lower one is 3 1/2" thick. Both thick ones are live edge and will be the sides of the door frame.
BroncMom, hit me up when you are thinking about a chain saw mill. I learned a few things about them that will help when you are deciding which one or ones you want. Also keep in mind that by the time you buy a decent sized saw and a mill you'll be out at least a grand if they are new. A small band saw mill is about $2500. A band saw saves about 1 board worth of lumber for every 4 cuts due to the thickness of a chainsaw kerf but the chainsaw mill can be carried in pretty much right where the log fell and be used so you don't need a tractor or anything to haul the logs. Also a 20" bar will yield about a 15" cutting width for a chainsaw mill. Ripping chain is a must and cuts about 60% of the off vs. using regular cutting chain.
I'm heading up to camp this weekend and am hoping to start milling on some giant hemlock logs that were left behind. With my 36" bar I can work on 30" slabs and can even squeeze out a 32" if I'm gentle. I'll get some more pics of that and maybe a video.
Swamp

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,000 Posts
I've got more than enough standing timber to wear one of them setups out. But it's all 20ft tall cedar or locust and hedge. Neither of the latter have more than a couple feet of straight log! We've got 80 acres and I havent seen a single squirrel in the year we've been there. Zero nut trees means zero bushytails. And zero lumber lol. Though the cedars are so densely packed that they are all strait as an arrow.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
186 Posts
That’s awesome guys....I’m an engineer/Const manager by prior occupation..retired now, so I can appreciate the work to mill your own lumber.

As for me, it’s Home Depot or Lowe’s

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of these days I'll post a few pics of the camp again. I think once you see how rustic the camp is it will be easy to see how rough cut lumber fits the bill better than .any store bought stuff. I'm just lucky enough to have it growing right where I need it.

Swamp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts