Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my K&N FIPK today. I got it from HP Motorsport for $130, not bad!
The instructions say to listen for air leaks and odd noises. What type of noises am I supposed to hear if there is a problem? I have noticed that the engine running in general is a little louder. When I step on the gas really hard I hear a rummble sound which was always there exept now I don't need to hit the gas as hard to hear it because of the quicker throttle response. When I first took off I heard a whistle sound which I assume is due to the cold weather(10 degrees). So what should I look for?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
metalhead said:
So what should I look for?
A big jar of K-Y 'cause you just paid $130 for an air filter. :histerica

Seriously, I'd guess they're thinking whistles could indicate leaks, which could mean unfiltered air making it into your engine. Unless you hear any noticeable whistles at idle, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No whistle at idle just when I step on it really hard and I've only heard this once or twice. Keep in mind it's very cold here. $130 is by far the cheapest I've seen an FIPK for.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
84brownbronco said:
some whistleing is normal because you hear the throttle body sucking in more air.
Nah, you just hear it sucking air at all. That's why the stock air boxes are called "muffler boxes" or "silencer boxes." They're specifically designed to quiet this, because apparently the OEM's think Joe Q Public doesn't want to hear his motor pulling air.

So you fork down $130 for the FIPK, hear it pulling air and convince yourself its' added power.

For some reason we equate noise with power or speed, but that's not always the case.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx, just wanted to make sure and be on the safe side!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
so your telling me loud rice burners dont have lots of power???????
:histerica :goodfinge

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
84brownbronco said:
They don't!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't let these guys get you down for modding your truck. An aftermarket air cleaner is an essential puzzle piece in the whole scope of a properly modded engine. Engines are basically an air pump anyway. I am sure that you are fine as long as you make sure that there are no gaps. You will hear a whistling sound usually but that is normal. Part of the stock airbox's function is to quiet the engine's intake noise. :drinkbud

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
84brownbronco said:
By the way anybody loose their rice burner because I found one under my Bronco?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its going to be alittle louder under the hood ...just make sure that the clamps are tight by the throttle body and by the airfilter ..the close the hood and drive the sh_t out of it....

·
Registered
33 Posts
just outa curiosity... why enven complain about the louder engine noise... i love the way the FIPK made my engine sound now it doesnt seam so much like a ***** so to say :]

·
nolongeraregistereduser
656 Posts
Yep what Spike said. Thats the cool thing about Bronco's, Harleys, all that junk, is we can make em exactly the way WE want em, not what someone else's vision is. Cool mod, let us know how it drives.

To all you party-poopers :) out there, one of the 4x4 mags just did tests on all the "myth" mods, like airfilters, TBI spacers, fancy spark plugs and such. All the mods made more power. Not a lot, but combine em all and you could probably get to around 50 horses easy. Thats quite a jump for a few easy to do bolt ons.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Stomper4x4 said:
. Not a lot, but combine em all and you could probably get to around 50 horses easy. Thats quite a jump for a few easy to do bolt ons.
I found 50 horses to be quite a large increase....Especially on a motor with 100k or more which money of the rigs on this board do.

I personally dont strive for power as much as reliabilty...I'd rather know its a dog, But will get my home and not leave me stranded...

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cody678 said:
just outa curiosity... why enven complain about the louder engine noise... i love the way the FIPK made my engine sound now it doesnt seam so much like a ***** so to say :]
I love the way it made mine sound, but I just wondered how to tell if there were any air leaks or any other problems. Does anyone know exactly how much horsepower this mod adds?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Stomper4x4 said:
Not a lot, but combine em all and you could probably get to around 50 horses easy.
Definitely! Easy! 100 to 150 hp is more like it.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keith_L said:
Definitely! Easy! 100 to 150 hp is more like it.
Come on now!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts