1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts
You know...oddly enough....with all the weird shit my Bronco has done to me fire really hasn't been an issue....aside from when the new engine was shooting fire out the headers when my stupid ass had the firing order wrong

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This thread is not a Bronco Tech Question. :twak

...and no, it's just that there seems to be a sudden rush of new (or low post-count) members who like dramatic thread titles. :shrug Apparently, you're among them. :rolleyes: :popc1:
I guess that is slightly ahead of guys who don't know shit about meteorology/science posting about relative humidity/physics. . . a class in which you firmly have set up residence. :goodfinge Moderators can decide if it belongs, a class in which you do not belong.

I was just surprised at the number of posts about fires (and an 'explosion') in such a short period. I don't give two shits in hell about post count. I was just making an observation and posing a joking question as to whether it is common.

Here is a novel idea, when you see a thread that you think is out of line, hit that "report" button- contributing smartass commentary is superfluous- OR, use the back arrow button and move to the next one. . .

And :goodfinge again. I hope that is clear.

·
Super Moderator
26,069 Posts
I am new here but in the last ~24 hours, I've seen:

"I've got a rolling BBQ."
"Explosion, Fan Ripped Off and Liquid Everywhere"
"So, my muffler set on fire..."
Some truly classic thread titles and I feel for you guys but I have to ask, is this a recurring theme? I am really liking this place!
Yo JAY,
You may not be aware of;
Recall for 93-96 Bronco, 94-02 F-150, 97-02 Expedition & 98-02 Lincoln Navigators; NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 07V336000 & 05V017000; Recall Date JAN 27, 2005 & Update; (search for 07V336000 & 05V017000 in "Safety Recalls)"... Report Date : November 28, 2010 at 09:53 AM NHTSA Campaign ID number : 07V336000 Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): FORD / BRONCO 1993 FORD / CROWN VICTORIA 1992-1998 FORD / E-150 1997-2002 FORD / E-250 1997-2002 FORD / E-350 1997-2002 FORD / E150 1992-1993 2003 FORD / E250 1992-1993 2003 FORD / E350 1992-1993 2003 FORD / E450 2003 FORD / EXPLORER 1999-2001 FORD / EXPLORER SPORT 2001-2002 FORD / EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 2001-2002 FORD / F-150 1993 FORD / F-150 LIGHTNING 2003-2004 FORD / F-250 1993 FORD / F-350 1993 FORD / F-450 1993 FORD / F-53 1995-1997 FORD / F53 1998-2002 FORD / RANGER 1998-2002 FORD / TAURUS SHO 1993-1995 LINCOLN / MARK VIII 1993-1998 LINCOLN / TOWN CAR 1992-1998 MERCURY / CAPRI 1994 MERCURY / GRAND MARQUIS 1992-1998 MERCURY / MOUNTAINEER 1999-2001 Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY Mfr's Report Date: AUG 02, 2007 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 07V336000 EA05005 NHTSA Action Number: EA05005 Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL Potential Number of Units Affected: 3600000 Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. Consequence: THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE. Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSTALL A FUSED WIRING HARNESS. OWNERS OF THE PASSENGER CARS INCLUDED IN THIS CAMPAIGN WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN THEIR VEHICLES TO THEIR DEALERS TO HAVE THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH DISCONNECTED AS AN INTERIM REPAIR. AS SOON AS REPAIR PARTS ARE AVAILABLE (EXPECTED OCTOBER 2007), OWNERS WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN TO THE DEALERS FOR INSTALLATION OF A FUSED WIRING HARNESS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 13, 2007, AND MAILING COMPLETED BY SEPTEMBER 19, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-888-222-2751. Notes: FORD RECALL NO. 05S28. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION;S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV
Source: by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration nhtsa.dot.gov
This recall has a life of its own (no pun intended) and is still being addressed by Ford.

Recall, Cold Fuel Line Leak Recall 89S76 for 86-89; "...Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited (Ford) has determined that certain 1986, 1987, 1988 and 1989 model F-150/250/350 Trucks and Broncos sold in specific areas of Canada where severe winter weather is experienced contain a fuel tube that may develop a leak..."

Recall, Fuel Line, Spring Lock Coupling Engagement Defect info for 86-87, 57957. SPRING LOCK FUEL LINE COUPLING MAY NOT BE PROPERLY ENGAGED. COUPLING COULD DISENGAGE DUE TO FUEL PRESSURE,VIBRATION, AND ENGINE MOVEMENTS; THIS WOULD CAUSE LOSS OF FUEL WHICH, INPRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, CREATES A FIRE RISK. INSTALL RETAINER CLIPS OVER THE COUPLINGS TO PREVENT COUPLING SEPARATION AND FUEL LEAKAGE.;

Recall, Fuel Pump, Electric; certain Federal-Mogul aftermarket fuel pumps sold under the brand names of Carter, Accuflow, NAPA, Truflow, Parts Depot, and Parts Master, shipped between August 2006 and July 2007 for use on the vehicles listed above. The fuel pump diaphragm in certain product runs may have been improperly installed or inadequately tested which may cause the fuel pump to leak. A leaking fuel pump could create a vehicle fire hazard. Federal-Mogul will notify owners and replace the defective fuel pumps free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during September 2007. owners can contact Federal-Mogul at 248-354-7700. Potential units affected 34000..."

Recall, Fuel Rail, O Ring Damage by Burrs or Sharp Edges Defect info for 85, 29373 METAL BURRS AND SHARP EDGES ON FUEL RAILS MAY HAVE DAMAGED ADJACENT O-RING SEALS DURING ASSEMBLY. THE DEFECT COULD CAUSE FUEL LEAKAGE WHEN ENGINE IS OPERATING. Remedy FUEL RAILS WILL BE INSPECTED FOR LEAKS, WETNESS OR SEEPAGE OF FUEL AND, IF NECESSARY, FUEL RAILS AND RELATED COMPONENTS WILL BE REPLACED WITHOUT COST TO THE OWNER

Recall, Ignition Switch, Short Circuit Defect info for 88-92 Fords On April 25, 1996 Ford Motor Company announced the recall of approximately nine million cars, trucks and minivans that may be equipped with a faulty ignition switch that may be responsible for causing hundreds of fires. In no case has any death or serious injury resulted from these fires. The recall covers 1988-93 models sold in both the U.S. and Canada that Ford says, "In a very small number of vehilces, the ignition switch could cause an internal short circuit, creating the potential for overheating, smoke and possibly fire in the steering column of the vehicle." The faulty ignitions switches can cause a short circuit that may lead to a fire whether the vehicle is turned on or off.
===
We can add a few more later...
EDIT;
More;
Recall, Ignition Switch FSA 95S28, Short Circuit Defect info for 88-92 Fords On April 25, 1996 Ford Motor Company announced the recall of approximately nine million cars, trucks and minivans that may be equipped with a faulty ignition switch that may be responsible for causing hundreds of fires. In no case has any death or serious injury resulted from these fires. The recall covers 1988-93 models sold in both the U.S. and Canada that Ford says, "In a very small number of vehilces, the ignition switch could cause an internal short circuit, creating the potential for overheating, smoke and possibly fire in the steering column of the vehicle." The faulty ignitions switches can cause a short circuit that may lead to a fire whether the vehicle is turned on or off.
Source: by AUTOPEDIA™
Connector, IAR Burn-Up, Ford; "...Due to a design flaw from the factory these units are prone to burn up. When replacing these units it is very easy to spread the wiring harness connectors. When this occurs, an electrical arcing takes place and will burn out the unit and harness. Due to excessive heat buildup at the output terminals the original plug is usually brittle and cracked, this is not something distinguishable by the naked eye. Chances are it is damaged and not useable. You will notice that OCA IAR units come with a brand new wire plug and installed with dielectric grease..."
Source: by mrreman.com via http://web.archive.org/web/20050316223839/http://www.mrreman.com/downloadsgateway/FORD/MRTSB-FORD-001.htm

Check w/local Ford dealer with VIN ready to check for any outstanding recalls on your Bronco or check on-line @ http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage&gnav=footer-owners

EDIT; Recall Expiration; "...Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge? Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks..."
Source: by odi.nhtsa.dot.gov Recall Expiration; "...Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge? Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks..."
Source: by odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great information! It never ceases to amaze me as to what I do not know. My Bronc' is an old Game Warden vehicle. Fire extinguisher replaced and mounted.

Thanks for the helpful info!

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
contributing smartass commentary is superfluous
su·per·flu·ous
so͞oˈpərflo͞oəs/
adjective
unnecessary, especially through being more than enough.
"the purchaser should avoid asking for superfluous information"
synonyms: surplus (to requirements), nonessential, redundant, unneeded, excess, extra, (to) spare, remaining, unused, left over, in excess, waste

Your lesson for the day fellas. :goodfinge

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I've heard the word used many times and never thought to apply it to Steve, but if the adjective fits. Well you know the rest.

FWIW I am surprised everytime I see mine and it isn't charbroiled.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,663 Posts
I guess that is slightly ahead of guys who don't know shit about meteorology/science posting about relative humidity/physics. . . a class in which you firmly have set up residence. :goodfinge Moderators can decide if it belongs, a class in which you do not belong.

I was just surprised at the number of posts about fires (and an 'explosion') in such a short period. I don't give two shits in hell about post count. I was just making an observation and posing a joking question as to whether it is common.

Here is a novel idea, when you see a thread that you think is out of line, hit that "report" button- contributing smartass commentary is superfluous- OR, use the back arrow button and move to the next one. . .

Yes... we will move threads as needed but we would much prefer if our members put them in the appropriate area in the first place. :thumbup

Actually... Steve reports enough posts as it is. Please do not feed the trolls. :goodfinge In the future... please note that the board has an IGNORE feature that you can use to ignore comments posted by any particular member. Feel free to use or recommend it. :toothless

All that said... I think you'll fit in just fine around here. :beer

I'm not going to comment on the Bronco's on Fire portion of this topic... as I do not have much luck when it comes to tempting fate. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts

Well I see you have met Steve. :haha

You'll fit in fine around here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I asked that the the thread be moved after consideration. A priori I failed to consider "Anything Else". I have no idea if it is appropriate either, to be frank about it. It was late and I was lazy, I suppose.

There was an interrogatory in the OP, however, it was a bit on the insincere side. :)

So, PEPE, I will mull over my posts more in the future. A reasonable post with good advice, I thank you.

·
Super Moderator
26,069 Posts
The one I havnt seen lately is someone losing a bronco to the Cruise Control Switch catching on fire. Thats a serious one everyone should fix.
YO J,
I haven't heard of anyone here or BroncoZone, pirate etc that have had a fre due to the Deactivation Switch;
here is latest info I found last month;
"...Since 1999, the Ford Motor Company has recalled over 14 million Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars, SUVs and pickup trucks due to faulty cruise control switches, which can corrode overtime and catch fire. These switches have been linked to at least 550 vehicle fires nationwide, and the destruction of many homes and other properties.

The number of Ford fires reported to NHTSA is believed to be far less than the number that have occurred. The national law firm of Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, the sponsor of this website, has received over 325 complaints of fires in Ford vehicles linked to the speed control deactivation system..."

btw,
In a stunning report of June 17, 2005, CNN reported the discovery of a Ford document showing that the same or similar switch was installed in a total of 16 million vehicles. Those vehicles
include:....(long list)
The exposure brought Ford into damage control mode. In a highly unusual move, Ford released its own media campaign in the form of a public video announcement. It can still be viewed on the internet at http://www.ford.com/en/innovation/safety/CruiseControl.htm.
miesk5 Note; here is the archived URL; WIN8.1 can't play this vid, maybe you guys can try
http://web.archive.org/web/20050728124944/http://www.ford.com/en/innovation/safety/cruiseControl.htm

The clip is of Ford's in-house engineer, Ray Nevi, dressed in suit and tie and reading from a script. Nevi begins by claiming that news agencies are disseminating "misinformation." He does not identify any incorrectly
reported facts or attempt to make any corrections. He explains the lack of an expanded recall by stating, "We have been asked why we have not expanded the recall. The last thing we want to do is make an important safety decision on incorrect or incomplete information." The primary message is
that of percentages: "Underhood fires are occurring at a very low percentage. That percentage in fact is point zero, zero five or, put another way five one-thousands of one percent. That's out of a population of nearly four million vehicles." The clip does not state how many fires occurred to reach
that percentage.

CNN and other news organizations did not relent. In a nationally televised report of June 27, 2005, CNN reported that NHTSA had "received 559 complaints of spontaneous fires, 253 of them in unrecalled models, and its latest investigation includes the 1995 model years of the F-150, Expedition and Lincoln Navigator vehicles." The report quoted Ford spokeswoman,
Kristen Kinley, repeating the script, "We have been asked why we have not expanded the recall.
The last thing we want to do is make an important safety decision on incorrect or incomplete information." Kinley also stated, "In those populations with an increasing fire report rate, we stopped using the switch through the recall process.... The switch has performed well in many models for many years." In other words, Ford pulls the switch when enough fires happen, but
not before.

Despite the admitted problem with the recalled vehicle, Kinley stated, "We have not determined at this time that there is a defect with the switch, but for reasons we still do not understand the switch is failing ... and we are trying to understand why."

·
I Won My
1,599 Posts

:rofl: you're alright in my book :beer

·
I did done broke it
2,276 Posts
Well I see you have met Steve. :haha
He's kind of like a fly...that helps here and there....but usually only good for frog food :goodfinge

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
1.) I like Steve. So, there.
2.) I learned a new word today.
3.) I have cruise control and am now afraid to get it working and try it. Thanks jowens.

All these "my rig randomly catches fire" threads could be bad for business here at FSB. Just saying. :toothless

Eric

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,663 Posts
as we used to say in tech support... the real problem is between the seat and the keyboard.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts