Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was scrolling through Facebook and saw a picture of a burnt up bronco and read that there was a recall at some point because of this. I figured I should buy an extinguisher just in case. What kind do some of y’all carry?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,334 Posts
I was scrolling through Facebook and saw a picture of a burnt up bronco and read that there was a recall at some point because of this. I figured I should buy an extinguisher just in case. What kind do some of y’all carry?
The recall was for 94+ with cruise control. Something in the CC system was what caught fire.

I personally use a marine extinguisher from wally world.

Reactions: Bryce8

·
Super Moderator
29,084 Posts
Yo Bryce,
As BigBlue 94 advised;
ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

I believe you have a 96, so see our Sites' FAQ , includes for example, How to add your Signature.

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Al

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT, 5.8, Auto Everything.
428 Posts
I just had this recall performed on my '96 a couple months ago. I'd received the original notice of it, but at the time they hadn't gotten the parts and repair in place yet, so I'd forgotten for... a decade or two. Ford will still do it, no questions, no delays. Had me in and out in an hour or so.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,319 Posts
I just had this recall performed on my '96 a couple months ago. I'd received the original notice of it, but at the time they hadn't gotten the parts and repair in place yet, so I'd forgotten for... a decade or two. Ford will still do it, no questions, no delays. Had me in and out in an hour or so.
Raises the question of what's the longest a recall has been put off, and how long is someone willing to wait in the name of record book qualification?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Do not buy a dry chemical fire extinguisher, they are corrosive and make a mess

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
I carry a Standard 10lb ABC type extinguisher WITH A HOSE AS OPPOSED TO A SHORT NOZZLE in all of my vehicles. I keep them within, relatively easy access so they can be gotten to without having to dig through a bunch of stuff.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,334 Posts
Raises the question of what's the longest a recall has been put off, and how long is someone willing to wait in the name of record book qualification?
I would be at 27 years had the shop not burned down around my 94...

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,319 Posts
I would be at 27 years had the shop not burned down around my 94...
That's like dying of natural causes during the pandemic. Definitely deserving of an asterisk in the theoretical record book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts