Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked one up. I was wondering were everyone has theres mounted and what you used. If you have pics post them up.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
i have a 2.50 lb safecraft halon extinguisher works great,have to get mine refilled had to put out a carbq a couple of weeks ago it was a chevy.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were did you get the bracket Kenny? Did it come with it? Mine came with a cheap piece of plastic.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
cool, this is something i would like to add in the bronco. When i get a bit more money together i guess

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mine came with the cheap plastic bracket also, I replaced it with a commercial grade metal bracket. The bracket wasn't but about $8.00 when I go to work tomarrow I can get you the name of the manufacturer and part no.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dont have a pic of it, but I replaced the rear seat with a diamond plate chest. I simply bolted it to the front.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I got a fire extinguisher that came with the cheapo plastic bracket from Walmart for about $10. I put it inside the stock center console where I can easily reach it with my right hand in the event of a fire.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Behind my drivers seat

And the maglite behind my passengers seat

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I bought mine for 10 bucks at Target. I did have it mounted behind the center console with the cheap plastic bracket then passengers kicked it off so I put it beside the back seat on the driver side on the wheel well. Going to mount my new Mag Lite above it. Woot.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
Fire extinguisher behind drivers seat, beside roll bar, got it for free, can't remember where. Note the mag light in the seat pocket.

in the passenger seat pocket I have my fish bonker and my battery operated trouble light.

·
Registered
214 Posts
plug ugly said:
where are you getting halon filled?
Halon works well, but don't use it in an enclosed space, dangerous fumes, bad for your heart.

My extinguisher is on the B pilar, drivers side. Make sure you get an ABC fire rated model. Wally World, Lowe's, and Home Depot have good prices on them.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,577 Posts
bad pic, but its all i got.

(thats the trans access panel in front of the center console)
Got a maglite bolted down on its left. Super easy to get to; i can reach either while im driving, or if im standing next to the truck. Yes, ive already used it! Not on my rig though. Come to think of it, i need to put one in my p/u.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,355 Posts
Yea, I would also like to know where you are getting halon refilled, since it has been outlawed. A far as bad fumes and not good for your heart, thats an understatement. When halon is released into the enviorment it eliminates all O2 molecules, making the air unbreathable. It used to be used alot where computers were kept, becuase it puts out the fire without damaging the surrounding area. Only problem was the people in the immediate area died from assfyxiation(sp) along with the fire.

Anyway, a simple ABC extuingisher should do fine, just watch where you spray it and make sure you arent upwind or you will get a faceful of powder.

Also, I saw on an episode of Trucks! some stuff called coldheat. It comes in an aerosole can and you can put out as well as prevent fire with it. Never seen it for sale though.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
A couple of tips from a Fire Chief for those who are interested.

1. Powder extinguishers are prone to "packing-out" when mounted in a vehicle which can result in a discharge of the compressed gas only, with little to no powder.

Every month or so, take it out of the rack and tip it upside down and smack the bottom of the bottle with a RUBBER Mallet to loosen up the powder. You can usually feel it sluff when it lets go.

Alternately, you can spend the couple of extra bucks on a rotating extinguisher mount made for heavy equipment. You simply spin the mount 180 degrees once in a while, and the vibration unpacks the powder for you.

2. Mount the extinguisher where it can be reached by you while seat belted.

People have died after rolling their vehicle and igniting a small fire, and not being able to get out of their seat in time. If the extinguisher is within reach, a pinned driver has a better chance at either suppressing the fire, or knocking it down until help arrives.

3. ABC, or BC Powder extinguishers are cheap and convenient, but they don't penetrate closed spaces like a dash as well as gaseous agents do. Also, the powder is mildy corrosive, and must be cleaned off completely, or you will damage your components and paint.

Halon is simply the best at putting fire out, but does displace and remove oxygen from a closed space and is bad for the environment. The oxygen depleting characteristics are not necessarily an issue with an open 4x4 vehicle, but is something to consider when used for cab suppression.
(There are a few good Halon alternatives, but they tend to be very costly, and don't always come in small truck-size bottles.)

CO2 works well, but rapidly cools everything is contacts. This can cause frostbite to a user, or damage to electrical systems or other plastic or composite parts. Also, CO2 is measured by weight, not pressure, so it cannot be inspected via a pressure gauge like powder and halon can.

4. Size Matters. A 2.5 lb extinguisher will help you put out a small electrical fire or backfire/engine flare-up if you get it quickly. It will not likely put out a fire resulting from a gasoline spill or leak, or a developing fire in the interior upholstery.

A 5lb is the best size for general purpose use, and will put out a small-medium fire in most materials. A 10-20lb is better, but is generally too big to store conveniently in your vehicle.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Inspect the extinguisher for condition and pressure regularly. The vibration of vehicle use can cause slow leaks. Once it falls out of the green zone, have it recharged or replaced. If it begins to rust significantly, retire it. If it is plastic and exposed, inspect it for impact marks regularly. You do not want an extinguisher suddenly failing in your cab.

;)

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
mcaldwell said:
A couple of tips from a Fire Chief for those who are interested.

1. Powder extinguishers are prone to "packing-out" when mounted in a vehicle which can result in a discharge of the compressed gas only, with little to no powder.

Every month or so, take it out of the rack and tip it upside down and smack the bottom of the bottle with a RUBBER Mallet to loosen up the powder. You can usually feel it sluff when it lets go. ;)
Once a month? Shite, I've been doing it about once a year. I'm pretty sure it was a guy that inspects the extinguishers who told me. Just to be safe, I'll do it once a month. Now you got me thinking of moving my extinguisher...Gee, thanks a lot, something else for me to do. :toothless

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
waltman said:
Once a month? Shite, I've been doing it about once a year. I'm pretty sure it was a guy that inspects the extinguishers who told me. Just to be safe, I'll do it once a month. Now you got me thinking of moving my extinguisher...Gee, thanks a lot, something else for me to do. :toothless
We do wall mounted units once a year during annual inspections, and they do not see vibration. We find about 30% of those have usually packed, so vehicle unit percentages would generally be much higher due to the constant vibration.

You could probably get away with once every few months, or even six, but why not just do it when you wash the truck out to be safe (for those of you who do wash your trucks :toothless ).

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
I think I'll just do it every one or two months since I haven't washed my truck since October, I think and won't wash it untill March or so.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts