Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

First Bronco-white 93 5.8l xlt

7K views 55 replies 10 participants last post by  MadMaxwell87 
#1 ·
Hi All. I just recently got my first bronco. I've driven mostly Fords my whole life with a few exceptions- 68 Camaro (first car I restored with my dad and still have, 97 F150, 2000 F150, 2002 Expedition, 2002 Focus (needed a commuter), 1994 Explorer, 2013 Colorado (inherited it), 2005 Grand Cherokee hemi, 2012 Grand Cherokee hemi (current) and now added a 1993 Bronco 5.8l xlt.

Its got some miles on it-210k- and a major steering box leak but overall it runs and drives pretty nice. I have a desolate motorsports 1.5" lift and heavy duty steering coming as well as a redhead steering box, full ignition maintenance parts, seat covers (drivers seat is thrashed, passenger seat is missing the arm rest), stereo and speakers, window and door weatherstripping and some LED lights.

Next up after maintenance and lift is to remove those sweet side graphics and step bars, get some new wheels, and change the exhaust (aftermarket muffler with dual side exits but with TINY pipe)

See less See more
#2 ·
Yo MadMaxwell87,
A belated Welcome to you!

As much as I can see, your 93 apoears straight and rust free in usual places which is good.

Find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ https://owner.ford.com; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
The affected vehicles were previously repaired using a wiring harness that is not compatible with the vehicle circuit polarity. As a result, the fuse is located in the output circuit rather than in the intended input power feed circuit, and may not offer the intended protection in the event of an electrical short to ground. This could result in an underhood fire. Dealers will install a new wiring harness, or replace the mating electrical component. east302 provided following for his 93 "I found the recall information on alldata...didn't know it was even there so that's a plus. Mine has the updated harness with two fuses instead of one, so it looks like the recall was addressed correctly."
Use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different that the other years.

⊙
Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

Look through Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

As you've done in otger posts, d or any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example, How to Use Search
See more tips!

See our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ F.O.T.M Voting
See pictures & build info of each Bronco nominated.
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

#4 ·
Updates:
  • Got the readhead steering box and Desolate Motorsports heavy duty steering put on.
  • Leveling kit with 5100s is on, step bars removed, rear window key made and functional, new cap/rotor/plugs/ wires/coil installed.
  • Ordered some PRP Daily Drivers and the Solo mounts to get rid of the ripped up, blown out foam drivers seat. I know there are better brands out there but for the money and with free shipping and 10% off they were pretty reasonable and its a toy, not a long distance road tripper.
  • Got a air filter, fuel filter, and all the PCV stuff. There was a bunch of oil under my filter coming from the valve cover breather so gotta clean that out and see if the new PCV helps reduce that. If not I might just get a cheap catch can like I run on my Hemi Jeep.

• Next up is new heater hose from the firewall to the water pump as its cracking and new battery cables as they have been mangled by previous owners. Seems like its cheap parts store replacements or high end custom made ones that are expensive. Time to go research as I know a lot of people upgrade these cables.

#7 ·
Rear 4600s are in as well as the PRPs. 3 of the 4 wheels and tires are mounted but Vision sent me a wrong wheel so after that gets swapped it'll be time to mount them up.

The PRPs are awesome. You sit a little lower than stock but the support and cushioning is perfect. Gonna make it harder to get into the back but this isn't really meant to be a people hauler.

#10 ·
Thanks. Yeah they're faux.

I thought of the same thing but the reality is that there will very rarely be anyone back there and the rear seat will probably be removed so it's not a huge issue. The Solo brackets mount it to the stock sliders so at least it goes forward all the way. The support and comfort and cost made them a much better choice than fully redoing the driver seat and getting an arm rest for the passenger seat.

#11 · (Edited)
Keep it white and claim it is the original run a way Bronco.

In 1995, Cowlings' 1993 Ford Bronco from the low-speed chase was purchased by Simpson's former sports agent Mike Gilbert and two other men, then ended up sitting in a parking garage for the next 17 years (1995-2012), where it was rarely used.

Your vehicle list resembles mine. Too many Fords

1983 F 150
1986 F 150
1993 Ford explorer. 4 door 5 speed. I drove this thing from Florida,California, Washington, Utah, Idaho, Colorado. Took a year off after college and solo back packed like 10 National parks.
1993 Bronco Still have
1996 Bronco Still have
2008 focus Still have motor and trans

#13 ·
Thanks! The seats are great. They're the 2" wider version so it rubs a little on the door panel but in terms of comfort its great. Haven't driven very long in them but they're supportive and have some decent cushion to them (nothing like a stock padded seat but they're not supposed to be).

#14 ·
Yo Max,
Someday soon when you achieve 35 posts here describing your upgrades, let me know and we can work on moving some to the build section or elsewhere.

#16 ·
Over the weekend I got the oil changed as well as replaced the PCV. There was a ton of oil underneath my air cleaner coming from the tube in the side so hopefully that will clear that up. Replaced the air filter while I was in there.

Next up is the Solo Motorsports front bumper. I pick it up today so Ill try to get it mounted and then paint it next week.

#17 · (Edited)
Haven't updated in a while so heres what I've been up to:
Got the Solo Motorsports front bumper painted semi gloss black and got it installed. The bumper brackets were bent so had to bash those back into shape. Also had to remove the front sway bar as the bumper uses those mounting holes. I haven't noticed a difference in driving yet so I guess it's as useless as people on here say. haha. It totally changed the look of the truck, got me a lot more tire clearance and more front end protection. I love it.

Next up was stealing an idea I saw on IG. These white on white broncos are just too much so I wanted to tone it down and connect the black from the grille/bumper and future rear bumper. So I bought some rolls of gloss black vinyl and had a go at covering the lower portion of the doors and fenders.
First off this is the most abused section of an off road truck with tires sticking out and second it was a lower investment ($60) test to see if I liked it. When the fiberglass fenders get put on eventually I'll have it professionally done. I watched lots of tutorials but getting out and doing it was much different. Got it on mostly straight and with minimal air bubbles but theres a few wrinkles that I couldn't get out. I called it good.

After taking some time to finish cleaning and undercoating the rest of the frame I saw the state of the rear sway bar bushings. I know most think it's not really worth it like the front but figured that most go fast off road rigs have a rear sway bar so for a little investment it'd be worth trying it out. Got new moog end links and bushings and they installed pretty easy. Haven't driven it since install so I'll report on any differences if there are any.

At some point someone had replaced the positive battery cable with a hacked together selection of cables and electrical tape but left the stock cable dangling. I had already replaced the terminal on the negative cable and saw tons of corrosion in the strands themselves. So to hopefully help with my slightly slow starts and to protect against any starting issues in the future I ordered up a whole new set of wires. The negative cable was a huge pain trying to get large hands into the area where it's attached to the block and the frame rail. The positive cable was relatively easy and now I have nice clean wiring that I can have faith in.

To do is a whole new grille and headlight surround as well as black headlights and corner/marker lights. The goal is to get a quality black appearance to match the nice new bumper instead of plastidipped grille and faded lights. She goes in for radius arm and pivot bushings tomorrow so I can finally get a good alignment on it.

#18 ·
Got some more work done this weekend. Got the 2nd set of 5100 shocks for the front end. Haven't driven it much but it's much more stable and controlled now.

Also got the front end swapped out. The factory grille and headlight surrounds were plastidiped and the headlights were very faded. Got a new grille and painted it black and got a set of cheap black lights for now. I used silicone sealant around the edges so hopefully they wont leak and get fogged up like most cheap lights do. Eventually it will get a full set of HIDs but this looks a ton better until then.

#20 ·
Man you’re wasting no time at all. Great looking rig! What sound system are you going with?
Thank you! I've been following your build and mines nothing compared to your rig. For me with my Camaro and Grand Cherokee basically "done" it's nice to have a project again and especially one thats affordable. I try to have a project for every weekend so I can keep progress going.

Keeping the sound system real simple and cost effective- new headunit and speakers. I have the headunit and door speakers in, just have to pull out the rear ones and swap them. I just wanted bluetooth and 10 yr newer tech compared to what was in there.

Pioneer headunit and rear speakers, kenwood door speakers

#23 ·
Truck is in for the pivot bushings, radius arm bushings and the front wheel stud that was broken off. I dont have a press or a balljoint press so a shop is taking care of it for me.

I replaced the tailgate weatherstripping. I just did the outside one and the rubber corners. The tailgate has a much harder time going up and down now. It was never perfect but now its real bad. To the point that it stops and I have to help it up. I think it's time for a new motor but I'm going to see if some use will loosen it up.

#24 ·
Got it back from my local shop with the new radius arm and pivot bushings plus the adjustable alignment cams and most importantly- a good alignment. Man its almost a new truck- no wandering or pulling, returns to center properly and the ride has tightened up and also smoothed out a little.

Next up- full brake overhaul- new calipers, pads, Desolate extended brake lines (I know stock would be fine but I'm future proofing it now), drums and shoes.

#27 · (Edited)
Finally got a chance to work on the Bronco again. When I purchased it it had cheap aftermarket steps on it that were quickly removed. Now with the lift and bigger tires its hard to get into, especially for my gf on the passenger side. Eventually I will get some sliders made and installed with a step but for now I chose to add some handles.

These are just generic Jeep grab handles I got from 4WP. I drilled the holes in the roof where it had enough room and put nutserts in. I trimmed the a pillar covers so it goes around them and looks ok. They support my weight and are a big help and double as o S*** handles when off roading.

Next up a is a full brake rebuild- drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware, pads, calipers, and extended front brake lines.

#28 ·
More work done this weekend. Fully re-did the rear brakes. The passenger side wheel cylinder was leaking badly which probably explains the pull when hard braking.

New wheel cylinders, shoes, drums and hardware. I'm fighting the driver side as it won't bleed correctly. I keep getting some fluid and then air whereas the passenger side I was able to get steady, clean fluid out of it. Gonna keep trying to bleed it.

Both bleed screws stripped despite using brake line specific wrenches. That's worrisome because they're Centric as is all the other parts I used. Gonna keep an eye on those.

#29 ·
Took care of the front brakes over the weekend. New Centric calipers and heavy duty pads as well as Rough Country extended lines for a 4" lift. I'm only currently at about 2"s of lift but extended radius arms and more travel are on the horizon so its future proofing.

The brakes feel better after a 3rd round of bleeding for the rear and a good round for the front. Theres still a lot of softness before the real grab. I know the shoes/pads need to be bedded into the new drums and the discs but the engagement doesn't feel right. Gonna do another round for all 4 corners and see how it goes and then go bed them properly (only driven around the block at under 30 mph)

#30 ·
Ordered the Tuffy security center console with the radio spot (REALLY backordered) and a Rugged Radio 50 watt radio to go into it with an external speaker to put up by my head. Also ordered a Garmin Overlander.

GPS will go in first with the center console being so back backordered

#31 ·
Got the center console installed. Just need to get some hardware to mount the GPS. GPS will be top left, radio speaker will be top right and radio will go just above the cup holders.

Trying to decide if I want to paint the aluminum for a cleaner look or leave it raw for a more "race truck" look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.