Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 5.8L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just picked up my first bronco and was hoping to get some help from some more knowledgeable people. It's a '90 5.8L with I think 190,000 miles. Now into some issues.

Ignition is "sticky" I guess is how I'd describe it. Gotta turn the key pretty hard to get the starter to engage and then manually pull it back once the truck cranks. Tried replacing the ignition lock cylinder but the same problem persists.

Truck Sometimes won't hold the idle once the Truck cranks and will die unless i hold my foot slightly on the throttle. Truck will sometimes flawlessly crank and idle so issue is quite confusing. New fuel pump in the tank so I don't think its a fuel issue. Harmonic Balancer does need to be replaced but not sure if that would cause an idle issue.

Heat works maybe 25% of the time and never blows real warm air, where should I start to fix this issue?
Door locks are non functioning, just replaced actual lock cylinder in both doors but lock mechanism remains jammed. Under impression that the actuators are locked up since lock doesn't move up and down but key turns. Is replacing actuators a good place to start? (no sound when electric lock button is pressed)

Steering is quite loose and truck will wander quite easily on the road, is there anywhere specific to start on these things or should I just replace the entire steering system?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm sure I'll be coming to you guys a lot! Stoked to join a pretty sweet community!

·
Registered
1992 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 351W, E4OD, 3.55, 33x10.5 mostly stock at this point
134 Posts
Steering wandering could be a few different things, I would start with all the tie rod ends, I’d check your steering box (I just replaced mine entire box with a blue top steering box as mine was shot), check your pivot bushings on your beams, also check your radius arm bushings all can play a part in a “wandering” feel, ball joints wouldn’t be bad to look at either while your there.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ignition is "sticky" I guess is how I'd describe it. Gotta turn the key pretty hard to get the starter to engage and then manually pull it back once the truck cranks. Tried replacing the ignition lock cylinder but the same problem persists. The ign assy actually comes apart very easy, on TV 'wheeler dealers' bought a '96 and they fixed it up, Ant took ign apart to check for a frayed wire. You can poss find the issue on motortrend. At any rate, I dont think its so much the key and tumblers so much as the lock assy and its ability to rotate and do the things it does Take apart and use some sort of graphite lube.

Truck Sometimes won't hold the idle once the Truck cranks and will die unless i hold my foot slightly on the throttle. Truck will sometimes flawlessly crank and idle so issue is quite confusing. New fuel pump in the tank so I don't think its a fuel issue. Harmonic Balancer does need to be replaced but not sure if that would cause an idle issue. Two things come to mind, 1 Simply turn idle up a bit, 2 there is an item called the IAC "Idle Air Control' valve that gets dirty and needs cleaning...do a search on IAC

Heat works maybe 25% of the time and never blows real warm air, where should I start to fix this issue? Flush cooling system
Door locks are non functioning, just replaced actual lock cylinder in both doors but lock mechanism remains jammed. Under impression that the actuators are locked up since lock doesn't move up and down but key turns. Is replacing actuators a good place to start? (no sound when electric lock button is pressed)Yes, I would replace actuator, not to hard to do.

Steering is quite loose and truck will wander quite easily on the road, is there anywhere specific to start on these things or should I just replace the entire steering system? MANY different possibilities, one thing to check is for cracks around where the steering box mounts to frame. If so, I'd get a very skilled welder to fix it vs trying it on your own. All the other things are pretty basic service stuff. BTW: Because of the short wheelbase, broncos will never handle like a ferrari, even in perfect condition they can be a bit squirrely on the hiway over 70 mph

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey guys, just picked up my first bronco and was hoping to get some help from some more knowledgeable people. It's a '90 5.8L with I think 190,000 miles. Now into some issues.

Ignition is "sticky" I guess is how I'd describe it. Gotta turn the key pretty hard to get the starter to engage and then manually pull it back once the truck cranks. Tried replacing the ignition lock cylinder but the same problem persists.

Truck Sometimes won't hold the idle once the Truck cranks and will die unless i hold my foot slightly on the throttle. Truck will sometimes flawlessly crank and idle so issue is quite confusing. New fuel pump in the tank so I don't think its a fuel issue. Harmonic Balancer does need to be replaced but not sure if that would cause an idle issue.

Heat works maybe 25% of the time and never blows real warm air, where should I start to fix this issue?
Door locks are non functioning, just replaced actual lock cylinder in both doors but lock mechanism remains jammed. Under impression that the actuators are locked up since lock doesn't move up and down but key turns. Is replacing actuators a good place to start? (no sound when electric lock button is pressed)

Steering is quite loose and truck will wander quite easily on the road, is there anywhere specific to start on these things or should I just replace the entire steering system?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm sure I'll be coming to you guys a lot! Stoked to join a pretty sweet community!

View attachment 171215
Welcome to the family !!!!

on the ignition and other things im not that good at since i am new as well, but the rought idle/dying could be because of the TPS or the IAC, the previous owner replaced the IAC and still have rought idle, so they recomended me to change the TPS, so i did, cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and after that let the car do its own calibration and it worked !! after then i never had a problem with the idle or dying on me

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo OriginalBuddha,
Welcome!
Test the ignition system mechanical operation by rotating the ignition key through all positions. The movement should feel smooth with no sticking or binding.
The ignition key should return from the START position back to the ON position without assistance (spring return). If sticking or binding is encountered, check for the following:
burrs on the ignition switch lock cylinder
binding ignition switch lock cylinder
shroud rubbing against ignition switch lock cylinder
burrs or foreign material around the rack-and-pinion actuator in the housing of the ignition switch lock cylinder
insufficient lube on actuator
binding ignition switch
actuator inside steering column is broken or ignition switch is loose.
See

The ignition switch can be adjusted by loosening the mounting screws, and sliding it up or down.

I'll address the other issues if you post them in Noobie section.

Here are the:
1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emmisions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emmisions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

➡ For any Bronco issues or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 75 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example: How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search and more tips!

➡See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting".

Try to find time to participate and vote in our Full-Size of the Month Contest & CURRENT Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Not blowing warm air can be a bad thermostat or the mix/blend door not operating correctly. Check the vacuum line that goes to the huge box on the passenger side firewall. Does the temp gauge read normal?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.