Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site , and already love it. I have an 86 bronco 4.9 manual 4 speed with manual hubs 9 inch rear stock 3.55 gears. Iam building this truck for mud. Althought iam not knocking the guys that are into rocks its just not my cup of tea. My Plan is to do a solid axel swap using leaf springs for the front. What i know is alot of the late 70's axels are coil springs. i was once told that a axel out of a jeep wagoneer will also fit. i also want to install 4.56 gears and get it on at least 38's or 40's. this is my first build and any information on what front axels well do the job would be great also how can you tell a d44 and a d60 apart thanks

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
welcome to the site! make sure and introduce your self in the introductions section. and dont take this as mean, but at the top of the SAS section there are TONS of sticky threads that you will contain answers to 99% of your questions. good luck with the build

·
Registered
316 Posts
read the sticky above on swaps - a lot of great stuf there

for tires the size you are talking and seeing that in mud you will be "hevey" on the right foot - I suggest only goingthe D60 route

have you read this link on axles ?
http://2bigbroncos.org/technical/D60/index.html
read the links on the left side of this page

assuming you have a tourch and arc - you are set to go

:popc1:

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Google "Mr N's dana" page. It will tell you what you need to know about the diffrent Dana axles. For that size tire you need a dana 60 up front and a dana 70, 10.25. or 14 bolt rear, just make sure its a full floating. Also for mudd lockers are a must IMO. Good luck.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
i was once told that a axel out of a jeep wagoneer will also fit. i also want to install 4.56 gears and get it on at least 38's or 40's.
I will admit to not knowing the first thing about Jeep's, so correct me if I'm wrong about this, but isn't that a passenger side drop axle? Your current t-case is drivers side drop, so it would be a LOT of work to use a passenger side drop axle. A lot of work as in swapping in a different t-case and completely rerouting your existing exhaust that goes down the passenger side. Way easier to just get a drivers side drop front axle.

For the tires you're looking to run don't cheap out on a D44, you'll want a D60. Also, 4.56's are not going to be adequate in that tire size, 5.13's would be the way to go. If that's a little steep for you maybe 4.88's, but with 4.56's you'll be under powered.

All of this stuff has been covered a thousand times. Search around and you'll find a TON of info on how to get this project done right.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
hey welcome to the site.... Id advise the dana 60 front route. If your into mud and want 38s or bigger. that 44 wont last very long without giving you problems. Read throu all the stickys, they helpd me out on my SAS. good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Google "Mr N's dana" page. It will tell you what you need to know about the diffrent Dana axles. For that size tire you need a dana 60 up front and a dana 70, 10.25. or 14 bolt rear, just make sure its a full floating. Also for mudd lockers are a must IMO. Good luck.
Welcome to the site.

Here's the link to Mr. N's site.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

·
Registered
267 Posts
You're gonna need a heck of a lot more motor for mud. Other option, lighten her up, convert to 2 wheel drive. Might want more wheelbase too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts