Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys not sure if you remember me asking carb/im test related q's a while back.. but i decided to rebuild my 4180 myself.. i figured it would be cheap and would be a learning experience(ive got no experience w/ carbs all my work has been on diesel trucks or f.i. cars) so as i pulled the carb apart the rubber diaphragm that opens the secondaries wasn't even fully seated(ive got pics somewhere) half of the diaphragm was laying in the bottom of the case. i was just curious what problems this could have caused, because the truck seemed to run pretty good when it warmed up. after rebuilding and reinstalling i turned over the engine for about ten seconds and it actually cranked up.. woot woot:beer. and i walked to the front and saw gas spraying everywhere i freakin didn't get the fuel line fully screwed in:banghead(i felt pretty stupid lol) but i fixed that and it turned over on the first try. it ran a little rough but that could just be from the cold I didn't get a whole lot of time to mess with it b/c it was pretty cold outside so i was just wondering as well what are some of the first things i should look for to fine tune and maybe some things to look out for from ppl who have rebuilt this carb before.. thanks and sorry for the long post

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
If the secondary diaphragm is installed wrong the secondaries won't open. You're left with a really fancy 2 barrel carb.

What to adjust? Slow idle, fast idle, mixture. Everything else is locked at the factory. You'll need special tools to adjust the idle mixture, assuming you removed the plugs in the throttle body and can even get to them. I just did the 4180 on my F-250, it was surprising to see how locked down they are.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the info. I removed the plugs and was able to remove and reinstall the idle mixture screws. I screwed them all the way in and backed out 1.5 turns using a small allen wrench (don't remember the size). I'll probably try to tackle the adjustments tonight if it isn't too cold outside. I'm just glad to be making some progress with the bronco.. After sitting in my driveway for 8 months my wife was probably happier then me to see it running. I know this is a little off topic but what do you think my next upgrade should be?(everything is stock-exhaust, alternator, p/s pump etc.) Keep in mind i have a small budget. Thanks for any info

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
hey thanks for the info. I removed the plugs and was able to remove and reinstall the idle mixture screws. I screwed them all the way in and backed out 1.5 turns using a small allen wrench (don't remember the size). I'll probably try to tackle the adjustments tonight if it isn't too cold outside. I'm just glad to be making some progress with the bronco.. After sitting in my driveway for 8 months my wife was probably happier then me to see it running. I know this is a little off topic but what do you think my next upgrade should be?(everything is stock-exhaust, alternator, p/s pump etc.) Keep in mind i have a small budget. Thanks for any info
Summit shorty headers.....gains in HP and mileage.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not to steal Sixlitre's thunder but he always suggests a transmission filter as a first upgrade. The guy has given me good advice in the past. His Sixlitre tuneup as illustrated by Sewiv is a great mileage/performance booster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys ill look into each of those. as far as the summit headers, are there any better brands or are they pretty close as far as quality/mpg gains/power gains.. thanks

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
I think the shortys are about the same....Summits are just cheaper - or at least they were. There is a tech write up on them. The only issue I had were the gaskets they provided.

Six's ignition upgrade is great also. It might be a little cheaper and easier to do in stages. Good for gains in both areas. Plus it adds a lot of nice colors!! :histerica Probably would be better to do first, before the headers.

I didnt see the trans write up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will i need to make any changes to the procedure if i decide to do sixlitre's ignition upgrade since i have a carbed 5.8? thanks again

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
will i need to make any changes to the procedure if i decide to do sixlitre's ignition upgrade since i have a carbed 5.8? thanks again
IIRC, Sixlitre has an '86 so I assume it would be good to go.....but I would ask him. Perhaps he will see this and answer directly. If not, PM him.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think the shortys are about the same....Summits are just cheaper - or at least they were. There is a tech write up on them. The only issue I had were the gaskets they provided.

Six's ignition upgrade is great also. It might be a little cheaper and easier to do in stages. Good for gains in both areas. Plus it adds a lot of nice colors!! :histerica Probably would be better to do first, before the headers.

I didnt see the trans write up.
Bright colors, took me a minute to understand. Yep, red coil and distributor cap, blue plug wires. Bronco is white so I feel all patriotic when I open the hood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts