Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get a call from a friend who'd just left to go home and he tells me I have a flat tire. WTF? They're essentially brand new GoodYear Wranglers. I'm thinking some crack head AHole probably slashed my tire while security at the hospital watched on their TV.

So I go out to my Bronco and find the RtRr tire on the rim. No sign of a blowout, no obvious slash marks, just a pancake flat tire. I discover the jack and tire iron have NEVER been removed from their perch in all the 18 years since it came off the line. Fortunately, the jack does still work after I broke it free and wiggled it a little. I get the Bronco up and the tire off and find this in the treads.

My tire was taken out by a sliver of glass. GLASS! WTF? these aren't el cheapo, WalMart, Made in China, gonna kills us with Lead Poisoning tires, their GoodYear Wranglers. And it was taken out by a sliver of glass. Hopefully it can be patched easily enough. I really don't want to have to go get a new tire to replace one that's nearly new.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i feel your pain man. i had a tire go out at 70mph with all three kiddos in the bko....not a fun experience (unless you are a 6 yr old little girl in the rear seat who thought it was hilarious). i've had nothing but bad luck since trying to get tires....proly bc im cheap and am looking for used ones, but a pain still.

i would imagine a simple patch or plug would take care of it though. good luck!

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
That can easily be patched, no worries.

There are TONS of different "Goodyear Wranglers" and a lot of them are junk. They don't look like AT/Ss, just what are they?

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Anything can puncture a tire if it's just at the right angle. I believe someone on here had their tire punctured by a box wrench once.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
I had my sidewall on a brand new Michelin slashed... I feel your pain.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
Anything can puncture a tire if it's just at the right angle. I believe someone on here had their tire punctured by a box wrench once.
ummm that would be me... :toothless

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
i had a razor blade in one of my old bfg all terrains on my ranger, that sucked.

Oh, and if those are the goodyear wranglers that i think you have.....they are very cheaply made tires. I had a couple that the tread seperated on....like a recap. They dont wear good and IIRC the load rating is stupid low. Just keep an eye on them.

Oh, and if you end up needing to replace that tire...they do sell them at walmart. :toothless

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had a razor blade in one of my old bfg all terrains on my ranger, that sucked.

Oh, and if those are the goodyear wranglers that i think you have.....they are very cheaply made tires. I had a couple that the tread seperated on....like a recap. They dont wear good and IIRC the load rating is stupid low. Just keep an eye on them.

Oh, and if you end up needing to replace that tire...they do sell them at walmart. :toothless

Funny you should say that. This morning after I got up I had the wife call her father to see where he bought the tires from and see if he still had the receipt/Road Hazzard stuff and he told me it should still be in the Bronco. I asked where he got the tires from and he told me. I guess I'll take it back this weekend and see if they can patch it.

Wal-Mart

I got physically ill. If there wasn't so much tread left on them, I'd be out shopping for bigger and better but they're like new still. They probably only have maybe 2000 miles or less on them.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update!

So I mustered the Cahonays to go to WalMart and get a new replacement WalMart Wrangler tire. They pulled the tire and called me out to the shop. The guy pulled the glass shard out and told me he could patch it, no problem. I go the new tire anyway and had them patch the tire and replace the spare that had been one of the ones bought about 10 years ago. I kept the Firestone since it still had pretty decent tread on it, even for a 10+ year old tire. They patched the other one and placed it on the rim. The strange thing(for WalMart) anyway was that they didn't charge me for patching or remounting the tire. Just the cost of mounting the new one.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hell, I've got three screws and a nail in my tires right now and they've held air for the two years the truck has been sitting!!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wasn't so lucky. I did also get a tire on my ram fixed yesterday that had a nail in it for months and held pretty well. The glass in the Broncos tire was just right to completely deflate it.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Man I must be lucky I've had 1 flat tire in 13 years of driving. and that was almost 11 years ago.. I'll probably get one on the way home from work now though..!!

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I was on call last weekend, and when I got called out on Saturday sure enough, I had a flat. I was amazed that I couldn't even blow it up with the Broncoair, which is really unusual since that compressor generally flows enough air to easily re-seat a bead. When I found the hole it didn't have anything in it, and it was big. If I didn't know better I would have sworn it was a bullet hole, because it was about the size of a .38. My plug kit has both fat and skinny plugs in it, and the hole took three of the fat plugs before it would hold air again. Yeah, I know how unsafe that is, but it held long enough to get me to the tire store and get a couple new rear tires. That was the first time I had ever seen a tire need more than one string plug in the same hole.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I haven't ran into a problem like Dave has..

However I always carry the plug kit with me.. So if I get a flat.. Just plug the tire.. air it up and be on my way.. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was buying a Plug and a Patch kit when I got called back out to the install area to be shown the hole and told he could patch it and save me a few bucks. I ended up buying my son a toy boat for the pool instead.

I'm sure Karma will get me for that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts