Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

7.3 Godzilla swap or full 5.0 and transmission rebuild?

• 7.3 Gas Swap

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • All original Rebuild

Votes: 2 18.2%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty deep into my restoration at this point. My ultimate final goal is reliability for long trips, outer banks 4c4 section to mountains in New Hampshire and Maine.

Currently my 1996 XLT 5.0 is original with 150k on it (E4OD transmission). Engine runs great. Within the last few years new water pump, intake gaskets, timing chain, alternative, etc. Does leak a little oil from the rear main and oil pan gasket not a ton though. Transmission is mostly ok but has had a few issues more recently. The truck does seem a little over worked on highway driving though that could just be the 4.11 gears..

All this said I know the transmission will need to be done sooner than later. Preferably before summer 2022. My debate is to rebuild when I do the transmission, could opt for a crate to save on downtime or I have the opportunity for a wrecked 2020 f250 with the godzilla and 10 speed set up. Clukd do a full swap. I like the 5.0 and have no quams with it but am very intrigued with the idea of a godzilla swap setup. Ultimate reliability and I think the 10 speed auto would really make highway driving a breeze.

Just wanted to see what some guys thoughts are on here, pros and cons of swapping to this setup or is this just complete overkill and can I have new vehicle reliability with a rebuild of the original motor and transmission?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be neat. Maybe a weight issue if you're adding that much more weight to the front? Is godzilla heavier than 302
Godzilla 7.3 is 88lbs heavier than the 5.0 so not much. Its only 20-30lbs heavier than a 5.8. Plus the ford 10 speed transmission is 40lbs lighter than the E4OD . Not sure about the difference in transfer case weights but I would guess the ESOF is probably lighter or close to the same.

I have a 4" BDS lift kit and the springs are pretty firm vs other lift kits which will help.

Have access to a wrecked f250 XL 4WD with 7.3, that should have everything needed for the swap.. really considering it. Surely will be at a major cost since I don't have the time or means to do it myself but would be a pretty killer setup.

·
Registered
1994 XL, E40D, 5.0, rear lsd, front auto hubs
324 Posts
You know a place that would do it? How long to do the job? How to interface the 10 speed electronics to the ecu of your current car? Got it all figured out already? If none of this stuff is ironed out the shop might be calling you every couple days...
The other way around is to take the ecu and wiring from the truck and gut the bronco's wiring but that is also a headache. If I did it I would do it that way.
In essence you'd have to seemlessly merge the engine and drivetrainn wiring with the bronco's cab wiring(dash, doors, lights, ABS brakes and a few others).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assumed the ecu and wiring would be part of the swap. Can't imagine the nightmare of wiring otherwise. A friend of mine runs a local performance shop. He would definitely take on the task and is someone I will be talking to this week before making a decision. Just seeing people are already putting godzilla into fox body's figure it's only a matter of time before it happens in a bronco.

Always assumed LS swaps always did the same.

Guess the real question is, is it worth it? Could just rebuild or drop in a crate and new trans and be good to go.. not overly concerned about the cost either way so that makes it tougher as budget would be a no brainer to rebuild.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I assumed the ecu and wiring would be part of the swap. Can't imagine the nightmare of wiring otherwise. A friend of mine runs a local performance shop. He would definitely take on the task and is someone I will be talking to this week before making a decision. Just seeing people are already putting godzilla into fox body's figure it's only a matter of time before it happens in a bronco.

Always assumed LS swaps always did the same.

Guess the real question is, is it worth it? Could just rebuild or drop in a crate and new trans and be good to go.. not overly concerned about the cost either way so that makes it tougher as budget would be a no brainer to rebuild.
Is it worth it?
My reply to this question is to think like a designer, and start with the end result in mind (and if the end result is "To make my Bronco f**king cool and have people 'miring", that's fine). What do you want your Bronco to be able to do? Figure out really want you want, and work backwards to determine what it will take to get there. Going to a lot of expense and trouble to get a shit-ton of HP and then realizing that it really makes no difference to your typical use of the vehicle is guaranteed to lead to buyer's remorse (and possibly the stink-eye from your spouse). I think the Godzilla swap would be cool as hell, but it's not my money... ;)

Reactions: Snow Bruiser

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you were to watch Youtube videos on the godzilla swap into the foxbody, are they pulling it off without non-working gauges, weird behaviors and other gremlins?
That would drive me crazy.
I don't have enough expertise to tell you if this whole thing is "worth it" though. If you use all that extra power from the motor, smoothness of tranny and transfer case, then that's worth something. The coolness factor as well. Showing people online how to pull it off also makes it worth it but that is kind of a charity act.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,330 Posts
E4OD rebuilds are pretty expensive, and at the end of the day, it's still the limiting factor for your 302. I think I would say, either put in a solid, low mileage tranny, or go all out on the swap Godzilla since it sounds like you have the resources available to pull it off. Anything in between feels like a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
Are they making the control pack w/10 spd. yet?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all for the responses. I'm not so certain I want to do the Godzilla Swap. I'd really love to see one happen and maybe one day would follow but I think I'm leaning towards rebuilding my 302 or possibly a 351 swap. I'm going to start digging into the 351 swaps on the forum and go from there. not worried about cost, I just want an ultra reliable build that I can take from the mountains to the outer banks or across the country with limited worries of failure.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,164 Posts
thank you all for the responses. I'm not so certain I want to do the Godzilla Swap. I'd really love to see one happen and maybe one day would follow but I think I'm leaning towards rebuilding my 302 or possibly a 351 swap. I'm going to start digging into the 351 swaps on the forum and go from there. not worried about cost, I just want an ultra reliable build that I can take from the mountains to the outer banks or across the country with limited worries of failure.
I'd really like to see the swap also, but understand you not doing it.
Here's a good video of it, and Bronco was mentioned as a candidate.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,164 Posts
Are they making the control pack w/10 spd. yet?
They do. Here's a video stating it is in development. Manual will be supported also. Bronco is mentioned in this one also.

Reactions: loki1981

·
Registered
324 Posts
Getting the 302 machined and bored into a 306, $1200
Buying GT40P heads, $700
Buying pistons and everything else, $1000
Assembling it all, $1000 labor or a few weeks of "fun" for free.

This assumes no custom tuning and/or flashing the ecu, better horsepower and similar torque, same or better fuel economy, no swap headaches, long-term dependability from the block machining.

Man, even a proper rebuild is expensive I just realized...

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
you can buy used gt40 heads for much cheaper. You can't run gt40p without custom welded headers. Used gt40s are about $250 set.

You can do a 7.3 swap but you will also need to do the axle and suspension swap from the f250. Personally I would swap a not so perfect truck because you will need to cut just about all the wiring out of the bronco to do it right and run the 2020 wiring and modules as a whole to get the system for engine trans cluster to work correctly. There also will be a lot of research and trial and error over the years making the right setup.

e4od rebuilds can be as low as $1k and if you wanted to upgrade them with 4r100 internals I wouldn't think that would be expensive if you had a junkard 4r100 donor. IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Really? $2800 is the number I've seen, but maybe you're referring to buying the parts and DIY'ing it?
search transmission name on FB; sale apps; CL. You remove and bring in to them. Sometimes I see 4l60e and 4r70w at $600 to rebuild.

"REMANUFACTURED TRANSMISSION ,4R100 /E4OD 5R110W &6R80 &6R
MODELS ,FOR F-150AND F-250,F-350 /EXPEDITION /NAVIGATOR /EXCURSIONS -FOR (ONLY $1200,)W/WARRANTY CALL"

·
Registered
118 Posts
It would be neat. Maybe a weight issue if you're adding that much more weight to the front? Is godzilla heavier than 302
At work we dropped a 5.0 coyote in a '82 F150 lots of work to get it to fit but we used stock springs front and rear with drop beams up front and a lowering shackle kit on the rear. 460 pounds is the heavy end of the 5.0 coyote weight and the 302 that came out was no more than 450 lbs.

I dont believe weight would be a problem to be honest as I have never seen weight be a problem on any retrofits ive done at work be it LS or Coyote. The thing Godzilla has going for it is unlike the Coyote it isnt that much wider than a 351W unlike the Coyote which is like a foot wider than a 351W which makes it quite hard to fit in older trucks. The one we installed to get it to fit we had to shift the firewall back and relocate the motor mount perches lower to get the engine to sit properly in the truck. Doing this it fits but you wont get the valve covers off without pulling the motor due to the column/brake booster on the left and the evaporator box on the right. The Godzilla would be so much nicer in a conversion than the Coyote to be honest and I look forward to the first one we do at work.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,330 Posts
search transmission name on FB; sale apps; CL. You remove and bring in to them. Sometimes I see 4l60e and 4r70w at $600 to rebuild.

"REMANUFACTURED TRANSMISSION ,4R100 /E4OD 5R110W &6R80 &6R
MODELS ,FOR F-150AND F-250,F-350 /EXPEDITION /NAVIGATOR /EXCURSIONS -FOR (ONLY $1200,)W/WARRANTY CALL"
Ah, back alley prices. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm a little late to the party on this but I noticed the new 7.3 uses the standard modular bolt pattern. Heck I'd take it and put a 4r100 behind it. Standalone controller for the transmission would be relatively cheap plus it should all bolt up as factory. All that leaves is figuring out motor mounts and the accessory drive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts