Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan thus far has been to detroit the back.
My buddy says "what are you gonna do in the snow"
so Im like "drive"
He says "not real far"
:confused:........................................:banghead

so my question to you guys is this,
should I just lock the front with something a bit less aggresive that way I only use it when I engage 4wd
or
should I lock up the back and just learn to deal with it.

I HATE driving in snow and ice on the street. Given Ive never ownd a vehicle that was made to do it Like this bronc is. so I try to remain optimistic despite my thoughts of doom and utter destruction.
I plan on running 35-37s probably gonna go with BFG MTs with as small a footprint as possible 10.5-12.5
I will have 2" body lift and 4" suspension lift I will more than likely ditch my sway bars

there have been some threads Ive read here with similar topics. Ive yet to find one discussing either front or rear one or the other

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
LOCK THE REAR!!!!!!

Do not lock the front end unless it's a it's a selectable. If you lock the front and have a detroit or what ever you'll be worse off then you would be in 2wd.

Lock the rear and 4wd wont be a problem. Learn to drive with a rear locked. From what I hear it's not much worse then a LS. Which I never had an issue with.

Tell your freind to shut the hell up unless he knows what he's talkin bought.

But thats my opinion as I dont' drive my wheelin truck in the winter.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
you can learn to deal with it. my brother has a locker in the rear of his truck. and in the winter in 2wd it will just slide sideways. through it in 4x4 and learn to drive it and its all good.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
This has been debated a lot. I'm in the minority: I personally think I've seen rigs do better on the trail with a front locker, if you only want to lock one. That said, I'd only lock TTB if running 35s or smaller. I saw BoulderBronco spit out caps just crawling a section of slickrock with 37's.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,873 Posts
Personally I would never lock a TTB. It's already stressed to it's limit. Put the locker in the rear, possibly a LS in the front and keep learning.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I feel a locker in the rear will do more for you offroad than a locker in the front because when you are climbing all the weight is on the rear tires. I have a Detroit in the rear, and a Lock-Right in the front TTB with 36" swampers, and have not had any problems yet. Sure the U-joints will fail at a much faster rate, but that is why I carry spare axles with new U-joints in them ready to slide in. I would not lock the front if you are going to street drive it in the snow though. Mine is just a woods beater.

Danny

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Lock the front first.

Be carefull with the TTB though, carry spare axles if you lock it, and don't get throttle happy.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
DRK said:
I feel a locker in the rear will do more for you offroad than a locker in the front because when you are climbing all the weight is on the rear tires. I have a Detroit in the rear, and a Lock-Right in the front TTB with 36" swampers, and have not had any problems yet. Sure the U-joints will fail at a much faster rate, but that is why I carry spare axles with new U-joints in them ready to slide in. I would not lock the front if you are going to street drive it in the snow though. Mine is just a woods beater.

Danny

I like that rig Bro :thumbup

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm running a powertrax no-slip in the rear and haven't had a problem in the snow. You just have to be careful in the turns.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Keith_L said:
This has been debated a lot. I'm in the minority: I personally think I've seen rigs do better on the trail with a front locker
I'm glad I'm not the only one!:beer

Originally posted by Dustin
lock both...problem solved:thumbup
Although I like that idea better!!!:thumbup

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Keith_L said:
This has been debated a lot. I'm in the minority: I personally think I've seen rigs do better on the trail with a front locker,
Which ones? You're talking about the ones that couldn't turn, right?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay two more Qs then,

if the front is locked w/ detroit or similar and 4WD is not engaged will there be any differance driving around the neighborhood? wet? dry? ice? snow?

if the back is locked and Im say, having trouble with a steep snowy hill in the neighborhood, and say the detroit or whatever starts me a'spinin could I just throw it into 4WD and continue up the hill with the front tires doing the work?

I know we're talking about alot of variables here but set the scenario up in your head and tell me how it turns out :)

Which ones? You're talking about the ones that couldn't turn, right?
and what about that?

thanks for the guidence

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
if you put a locker or spool or whatever in the front, it won't matter on the street if your hubs are unlocked. if you want to be able to just shift into 4x4 at random, you will have to drive around with the hubs locked.

·
Registered
71 Posts
we dont have a reason for 4wd on the street down here so i cant realy voice my opinion 2 well with you guys

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lockem both.
On the street just lock one side. It will wear more but it will be safe to drive on the street. You will need spare u-joints and shafts.

·
....ehhh
931 Posts
It snow here pretty good.

Lock the rear.

If the snow is bad enough to make both back wheels spin out of control, you will already be in 4X4 which will keep you going up the hill strait.

I bet you friend does not even have a 4X4 with big tires, they are just like my friends, jealous.

A 35-12.50 will not hurt you in the snow, nor will a locker

1 - 20 of 44 Posts