Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well I finally got my truck back from the manic mechanic that held it hostage for 2 months...

I have been having a blast with it and have a laundry list of upgrades (tow points, skid plates, etc etc)

I wanted to start thinking about what I can do to increase the power of the rebuilt 302 I put in. Its not lacking power really but a little more never hurts.. :)

But on to my question; What should I be looking into to increase horsepower...
(no silly tornado comments pls :p)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
:stupid

A new y-pipe with a high flow cat made the biggest difference on my 302. I would also look into an electric fan swap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, and while I am thinking about it, what exactly is mass air?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
i would get myself a set of shorty headers, a new y pipe, and lose the cat if the state was cool with it. then i would hit the ignition system up with a cap, coil, and ignition module. jacobs, mallory or msd, i would also do a kn filter cone swap for the stock airbox.
you will notice a big difference after that, not huge, but you'll feel the grand you just spent.

·
Explorer driving
4,191 Posts
FullSizeBronco.com sticker will increase HP by at least 25.

Hey, he said no funny tornado comments, nothing about stickers.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
BroncoSka said:
i would get myself a set of shorty headers, a new y pipe, and lose the cat if the state was cool with it. then i would hit the ignition system up with a cap, coil, and ignition module. jacobs, mallory or msd, i would also do a kn filter cone swap for the stock airbox.
you will notice a big difference after that, not huge, but you'll feel the grand you just spent.
BroncoSka

The ignition stuff totals up to $120.00 (from Summit) and is CARB legal and should be done immediately so you start saving money with fuel savings to pay the $191.00 for the all states legal Catco Y-pipe and cat.

Forget the shorties (read other threads why) and forget the cone K&N and just pick up the $40.00 K&N drop in filter.

Do all that and you're legal and up quite a bit of throttle response and mileage in my experience and your wallet is only lighter by less than $400.00.

Follow this thread, save some money, gain some power (and mileage) and save me from carpel;

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60291&highlight=mogley+catco

Hope it helps you

Sixlitre

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
njbuck said:
thanks for the info, and while I am thinking about it, what exactly is mass air?

Don't worry about mass air until you plan on doing a really big cam swap, or a big head change. Search for mass air and you'll find all you need to know, including facts that say for a new engine, you don't need to worry about it. The only thing mass air would help with (on an engine that doesnt have a big cam/or head change) is an aging engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sixlitre said:

Hey Six,

I followed that link and looks like some good info. I am not running a bronco, I have an F-150 pick-up with the fuel injected 302. Its an 86. I have a brand new oem coil, wires, cap, and plugs. My question is, if I go with the MSD brand ignition components on my engine, will it make that much difference over the brand new oem stuff I now have? I am getting approx 16 mpg right now, if I install that, gap my plugs to .055, and set my timing to 13.5, do you think it will get me closer to 20 mpg? I drive 90 miles a day right now and can use all the help with fuel milage I can get. Thanks..

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
dgmid61 said:
Hey Six,

I followed that link and looks like some good info. I am not running a bronco, I have an F-150 pick-up with the fuel injected 302. Its an 86. I have a brand new oem coil, wires, cap, and plugs. My question is, if I go with the MSD brand ignition components on my engine, will it make that much difference over the brand new oem stuff I now have? I am getting approx 16 mpg right now, if I install that, gap my plugs to .055, and set my timing to 13.5, do you think it will get me closer to 20 mpg? I drive 90 miles a day right now and can use all the help with fuel milage I can get. Thanks..
I'd bump the ignition and love your 16mpg

Much depends on older, dead or dying ignition parts. Try the plug gap, but if you don't get a jump in performance, consider at least an MSD coil.

Sixlitre

1 - 13 of 13 Posts