Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife, myself, and a handful of friends took a trip up to the Alpine Loop in Southwestern Colorado a couple of weeks ago so I figured I would share some of the pics. This wasn’t a hardcore wheelin’ trip but we had a great time spending a week camping at 11,000’ and the opportunity to give a decent shakedown run on the Bronco. In all the trip was about 1,700 Miles of driving including 100 or so offroad.

Here is the Bronco loaded down getting ready to roll out:

Sorry for the crappy pic, it was really humid that morning and the camera had fogged over.

We had one friend riding with us to cut down on the vehicles taken and to help with the gas expense. On the road between DFW and Amarillo:

We drove about 12 hours the first day. This is about 8-9 hours in, crossing into Colorado on I-25:

That F250 is a friend’s truck that we convoyed out with.

Rio Grande:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On the way up to the camp site, in Capitol City (was once a mining town) we came across a large herd of sheep:

The place we actually camped is actually on the Alpine Loop. Leaving Lake City, CO we were about 14 miles up the hill, a little way below Engineer Pass (right near Rose’s Cabin for anyone familiar).

Pic of the Bronco with Rose’s Cabin in the background:

This is BLM controlled land, no actual facilities or campgrounds. Just pull off the road and camp. Here is our camp site..

From above:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now for some pics of the actual loop itself. The road is maintained during the summer months only, from around October – may / June it is under the snow. I was told that they get about 100’ of snowfall on average during the winter on the loop. There are some pretty rough sections but nothing too crazy. The scariest part is when you have a 1,000’ drop on one side of a one lane dirt road.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is me reaching the peak above Engineer Pass. The pass is 12,800’, this peak is about 13,200’:

Taking a break on the day we drove the whole loop. The speckles you see on the far right in the distance are actually more sheep grazing:

This is the second year we have done this trip and plan to do many more. We were sad to have to leave though we got a nice surprise about 2 hours into the drive home:

First moose I have seen in real life. We were about 100’ from it for a good 5 minutes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We did have one mishap, about an hour or two past the moose. This was just east of Alamosa, CO:

Fortunately it only delayed us a couple of hours and cost us nothing. Ended up just being overheated. Thank god for roadside assistance, the tow cost us nothing.

Thanks for looking!

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
That looks like a fun trip..

My wife ran into a Moose and 2 babies last night on her bike ride....:) We have a couple that camp out about a mile from my place, along with atleast 1 black bear :)

I can't wait to go wheelin again..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your Bronco has a back porch :thumbup
Have you ever cooked out on it? :toothless
Cool pics
Haha, nope. I am actually planning on modifying it so when I get to a camp site I can remove it and use it as a table.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sweet pictures :) I like that trip, mostly for the views, although Poughkeepsie Gulch covered in snow is definitely an experience :thumbup

·
Registered
834 Posts
Absolutly STUNNING visuals.
The highest mountian we have here in Florida is 345 ft above sea level..... :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutly STUNNING visuals.
The highest mountian we have here in Florida is 345 ft above sea level..... :(
I feel you. I grew up in southern CA and always miss the mountains. Been here in North Texas since 2000 and it is way too flat for my taste.

I tried to limit the pics as much as possible, keeping the Bronco as the key element, but we have some really awesome stuff from this and last year. I think we ended up with a little over 300 pictures this year. It's incredible up there.

Even with 5 full days we didn't get to do everything we wanted to. More on the to do list for next year's trip I guess.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Beautiful scenery! My wife and I visited Colorado for the first time a couple of years ago and loved it there. If we were ever to leave Southern California, then Colorado would be our first choice to move to.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
nice pics...............:beer

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you have a hitch extender tube on that cargo rack?? I have a similar rack from Harbor Freight, but it sits pretty close to the bumper making the cargo area near the spare useless....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have a hitch extender tube on that cargo rack?? I have a similar rack from Harbor Freight, but it sits pretty close to the bumper making the cargo area near the spare useless....
Yes, I bought a hitch extender from Harbor Freight as a matter of fact. Be aware that the holes in the extender are set too far back which causes the rack to stick out much further than needed. I drilled new holes in the rack so that it sits flush with the spare tire. I used those cheap, stepped carbide (sp?) bits they sell, and a $15 drill bought there as well. I love Harbor Freight. :p

The down side to that, of course, is that at stock height you may drag it on steeper driveways. They sell an extender there that will allow the rack portion to sit higher, I was just too cheap to spend the money.

Here, I bought this:

But this would have worked better using the top hole to get the rack higher off the ground:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts