Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well bought a 1988 bronco today with a 351w in it, its in excellent condition and i got a great deal on it, but i am haveing a mental lapse on which auto came on this engine, AOD, E40D, or C6, i am getting ready to change the tranny fluid and was wandering how to tell the difference between them and which fluid it takes, I am thinking DEXTRON MERCRON III, but i am not totally sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get pics up soon, planing a SAS swap this next weekend.

·
Registered
176 Posts
if it has the overdrive off button, it's got the E4OD. In any automatic, use Dexron II or Dexron III

·
Registered
176 Posts
Actually, this is it in a nutshell:
If it had overdrive AND it has the overdrive on/off button its an E4OD
If it has a position for overdrive on the shifter, its an AOD
If its a 3 speed automatic is a C6

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Nope, Ford NEVER put an AOD behind a 351 in a Bronco. So if it's got OD then it's an E4OD if not then it's a C-6. Not that it matters though, they're all Mercon trans fluid.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
RLKBOB said:
Nope, Ford NEVER put an AOD behind a 351 in a Bronco. So if it's got OD then it's an E4OD if not then it's a C-6. Not that it matters though, they're all Mercon trans fluid.
Correct :toothless

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help guys, I found out just minutes after I made this post that it has the C6 in it, but thanks for the responses. Since I am not to familiar with the older transmission how reliable is the C6?

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
RLKBOB said:
It's THE most reliable one out there(and probably the strongest).
Yup, only down side is no OD, but it is bomb proof (well for an auto)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts