Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I've just come into a windfall and I'm starting to look for an '80-96 FSB to make a street-legal pre-runner that will see equal street and off-road use. . .it's not gonna be a full race rig, but I plan on running it hard when it is off-road. . .

. . .this will be my first ever FSB so I was hoping you guys would be willing post-up and clue me in for stuff to look for and stuff to avoid. . .

. . .here's what I've picked up so far:

-avoid the early 80's ('80-'82???) models because of the "swiss cheese frames"

-the pre-'92 models may be more desirable than the '93+ models because of the lack of engineered crumple zones in the frame. . .

-go with the earlier 6-lug spindles

. . .and I wanna get one with the Windsor engine. . .undecided about the tranny at this point.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Me personally, I would say 89-91 would be the best choice. You will have fuel injection, and I think 87 and 88 may have had the Top Hat hubs which are not real desireable. Motor, thats up to you, everyone has different preferences. Transmission, I prefer the C6, not computer controlled. Leaves plenty of options and a mildly built C6 will perform very well. Definetly the manual shift BW1356 transfer case. I would stay away from the electric shift. Just what I think anyways.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Hey Hey Hey, hold on a minute......lol lol....I'll stack my 86 against any of them for looks and mechanics!

Fuel Injection is definately the way to go, it's far more accurate but more important is getting familiar with the emission, fuel injection systems along with the "sensors" that manage fuel delivery at "cold start" and normal operation and how they relate to each other so the vehicle runs at optimum performance.....not always easy..lol lol

These vehices have computers which you can tap into and find out with any number of TESTS, what the electronics, emissions and engine internals are doing at any given time which makes diagnosis far more easier for DIY wrenching.....

Depending on which year BKO you choose, you will need an OBD-1 or OBD-2 Ford Code Reader with diagnostic book, runs around $29.99 (Kragen/O'Reillys) which plugs into the OEM Test connectors under the hood......worth every penny....

For more info regarding this try:

www.fordfuelinjection.com
www.broncolinks.com
Haynes Repair Manual ~ ASAP, it's our bible here....
www.supermotors.net ~ our sister site to join FREE for posting pics etc.

·
Registered
338 Posts
For a dual purpose ride. I would buy a 95 351/e4od/1356 combo. They are mass air obd1. 94 is speed density and 96 is obd2. They get better mileage and respond better to mods. The e4od is a must for covering long distances. If you do them right they will take alot of horsepower and they last. I race on one. Put a 9 inch in it. the front hubs really dont matter. 5 or 6 bolt. The 87-88 is the only ones i would stay away from.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For a dual purpose ride. I would buy a 95 351/e4od/1356 combo. They are mass air obd1. 94 is speed density and 96 is obd2. They get better mileage and respond better to mods. The e4od is a must for covering long distances. If you do them right they will take alot of horsepower and they last. I race on one. Put a 9 inch in it. the front hubs really dont matter. 5 or 6 bolt. The 87-88 is the only ones i would stay away from.
agreed the late 80's scare me! got a 95 myself with the e4od, awesome milage:thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts