Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the power hooked up and messed around with my Miller 252. This is 1/4'' mild steel, running .035 wire and AR/CO2 mix.

The bottom 2 rows are via the settings off of the Miller welding guide. I steadily increased the voltage from left to right. Wound up with the dial at 28.5.
The middle rows up to the really long one are messing with the wire speed gradually going up and down until I wound up with the dial at 400.

The top two welds are with those settings...28.5 V and 400 wire speed. Im pushing the gun, making little cursive e's, getting a nice frying pan sound, great penetration, BUT the weld itself still looks pretty crappy. Gonna work on keeping the gun distance from the metal, gun motion, and speed a lot more consistent. Any other thoughts??

·
Fullsize Member
4,167 Posts
Its really hard to get a nice flat weld on a flat piece of steel, either cut grooves in your plate or weld t joints, they are looking pretty good though, keep practicing.

·
Puts it were it doesnt go
640 Posts
i used to run occasionly run a 252 at my old job. its a decently nice machine.
those settings sound way too hot. 28.5 volts is crazy for .035 wire. with that voltage you probably close to running globular transfer which is somewhere you don't need to be. i'd drop the volts down to about 20 and definetly would not go higher than 22 unless your either spary welding or you're trying to weld some thick stuff. your wirefeed speed probably shouldn't be much above 250. that will be plenty for 1/4" plate. you want your standoff distance to be about 1/4 of and inch off the baseplate. for deepest penatration, its best to have a 10-15 degree drag angle but thats irrelavent for at home use. try setting up a T-joint and start some beads

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I agree, weld a T and then post pics. I do believe though, that you are moving too slow and it's possible the heat might be a tad low, but I will be able to tell better when you weld a T

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Not bad but Gillas right. Try butt welds. Take a pic of the back side of the plate too. I'm interested in your penetration. God that sounded gay
It did (sound gay).

but fortunately we understand Hefty.
:toothless

Just never have any banjo music going the next time we're out in the woods wheeling.

·
Registered
604 Posts
the top welds also look like you are pulling. Try pushing the weld. In other words, point the nozzle towards where you are going to weld, not towards the bead.

Try hiding the arc with the nozzle. It will be a night and day difference because you can see the groove and your bead a lot better other than staring at the arc.

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
It did (sound gay).

but fortunately we understand Hefty.
:toothless

Just never have any banjo music going the next time we're out in the woods wheeling.
Yeah its been about 68* out lately......coming out of the "garage" any time soon Mark:goodfinge

I'll leave the banjo at home next time.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
Take a pic of the back side too. I'm interested in your penetration.

This has made it into the Greatest FSB quote thread :rofl:

Edited, but not added too :histerica

Sorry Hefty, couldn't resist :thumbup

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Did somebody say something about a Banjo? I'll be right over

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i used to run occasionly run a 252 at my old job. its a decently nice machine.
those settings sound way too hot. 28.5 volts is crazy for .035 wire. with that voltage you probably close to running globular transfer which is somewhere you don't need to be. i'd drop the volts down to about 20 and definetly would not go higher than 22
Thanks muddy :thumbup I dialed it back down to 21 and turned down the wire speed and got much better results.

Try hiding the arc with the nozzle. It will be a night and day difference because you can see the groove and your bead a lot better other than staring at the arc.
Wow, talk about night and day! Thanks man :thumbup Way easier to see the bead form now.

So here are some Ts I did this afternoon. 1/4 plate, all at 21V and 375 wire speed. Im still pulling in these...gonna try pushing next.

Try 1: Took muddy's advice and turned it down a bit. Also tried Josh's advice and hid the arc with the gun. Definitely easier to see everything.

Try 2.

Hiding the arc really helped alot. Still working on getting things more uniform. Also, I'm noticing that the weld flattens out at the very end where I let off the trigger. Any tips for keeping it uniform?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not bad but Gillas right. Try butt welds. Take a pic of the back side of the plate too. I'm interested in your penetration. God that sounded gay
:histerica
Haha, I wasnt going to say anything....

Here is a pic of the backside of the plate. Theres a slight bulge where the marks are. Ignore the dark one on the bottom...that was the sticker.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, try 3: this time pushing....

Pushing seems to work a little better for me...at least for what Im doing at this point, and its a bit easier to keep the end of the weld more uniform. Another question...whats the brown substance mixed in with the weld? I can see it kind of "ooze" out of the section of the weld right when the redness is going away. Is it some sort of contamination? It wont come off with a wire brush, so Im pretty sure its not slag.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Ok, try 3: this time pushing....

Pushing seems to work a little better for me...at least for what Im doing at this point, and its a bit easier to keep the end of the weld more uniform. Another question...whats the brown substance mixed in with the weld? I can see it kind of "ooze" out of the section of the weld right when the redness is going away. Is it some sort of contamination? It wont come off with a wire brush, so Im pretty sure its not slag.
NICE!!!! Yeah for wire, pushing will give you the best results. It looks like you are getting the hang of it, your weld looks uniform and the pattern is consistent!!! The brown stuff is what you get with micro wire and is nothing to concern yourself with. Do a few more practice welds with the heat turned up a bit and or maybe move the gun a tad faster and to me, it looks like you are totally ready to make something substantial. :thumbup:beer

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NICE!!!! Yeah for wire, pushing will give you the best results. It looks like you are getting the hang of it, your weld looks uniform and the pattern is consistent!!! The brown stuff is what you get with micro wire and is nothing to concern yourself with. Do a few more practice welds with the heat turned up a bit and or maybe move the gun a tad faster and to me, it looks like you are totally ready to make something substantial. :thumbup:beer
Thanks Walt!:thumbup
Good to know the brown stuff is normal. Ill keep playing with the heat and try moving the gun a bit faster. :beer

·
Puts it were it doesnt go
640 Posts
that brown stuff is silicone.
to properly terminate a weld, there needs to be some hesitation in the weld puddle before the trigger is released. if not, crater cracks are likely to occur. a lot of welders do a tiny figure 8 or a circle at the end to properly end of the weld and keep the size consistent

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
use a strait edge with your plasma cutter to get a smoother cut but it looks like you've got it dialed in right. Weld looks good too. (I don't think this post was gay sounding)
Definitely low on the gayometer :toothless
Haha, yeah, on that piece I was hacking chunks off like the plasma was a lightsabre.....I actually can cut pretty straight (not that its hard to with a plasma).

that brown stuff is silicone.
to properly terminate a weld, there needs to be some hesitation in the weld puddle before the trigger is released. if not, crater cracks are likely to occur. a lot of welders do a tiny figure 8 or a circle at the end to properly end of the weld and keep the size consistent
Will do:thumbup
Yeah, looking at it again, if I would have done that, it would have been pretty much spot on as far as consistency. Definitely try that next time.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
I never cared for pushing a gun, I always found it better to find the right temp and speed,I also have my own tricks to laying down a realy nice looking bead. It all comes with lots of time behind the hood and nothing more.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts