Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, remember when this happend?

well, today we fixed up the squished corner on that sweet ride.. well most of it anyway.. still have a few things to do to it though, such as add some support to the front part of the cage so it can't squish again, as well as install the radiator, and add a "hoop" or something in the front to mount lights behind.

but she sure is a beauty now, eh!!

·
Fullsize Member
4,167 Posts
the changes you made wont stop the corner from crushing again, and the cage can still crush flat at the bend point on the a pillars, redneck yes, effective, no.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the changes you made wont stop the corner from crushing again, and the cage can still crush flat at the bend point on the a pillars, redneck yes, effective, no.

I realize that, the "changes" you see so far (added front end) are mostly to replace the crushed core support. we're going to be cutting through the body to add a support from the frame rail directly up to where the front roll bar and the horizontle piece over the front tire intersect, this will keep it from squishing downward, but it could still splay out, so we'll also add a piece between the left and right sides at that same point (running horizontally).. i suck at explaining what i'm thinking, but i think you get the idea.

(i think he somehow prides himself on how terrible that thing looks too, the gold rims are a sort of inside joke)

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
knock, knock
who's there?
Darwin
Darwin Who?
It's Darwin coming to get you.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
knock, knock
who's there?
Darwin
Darwin Who?

Well, if i made videos which were sane and boring, nobody would watch them.

the trick is, to make it appear as insane as possible, while still being in complete control.. that's what makes it a stunt, right? (not that this video is a stunt or anything, just having some fun doing repairs on a pos toyota)

although we did have an idea, which is a harpoon style grappling hook, on about 30 feet of cable... which we could fire at a tree (high, at the 9:00 or 3:00 position from the truck), it would wrap around it/hook on a limb, and as the cable went tight it would swing the truck up/around the tree.... so we're working on rigging this up right now, then we're going to find a cliff (just a small one i know of, about 15 feet) and the plan is to drive straight at the cliff, grappling hook the tree, swing around it 180 degrees (in mid air over the cliff), and land on the other side and continue driving away from the cliff, at the instant of landing, a quick release will release the cable so the truck is no longer tied to the tree.

there are also practical applications to this, such as in a car chase, you could easily loose somebody by heading for the cliff, then doing the tree-hook-swing trick, the chasing car would just shoot off the cliff... i'm going to talk to film producer i know about this... after it's tested (above a high cliff) of course.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I think the battery hanging out in space like that is super-awesome. :rofl:

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
You know some greenpeace/ tread lightly DB is gonna ask why werent you using a tree strap? BTW I will bring the beer If you have a Public showing of your toyota yoyo cliff stunt :thumbup

·
User that is Registered
995 Posts
knock, knock
who's there?
Darwin
Darwin Who?
I agree.

You're friend would be in a terrible position if that chain were to break.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the battery hanging out in space like that is super-awesome. :rofl:
yep, there was some consideration of relocating it to the back, but now that i look at it again, it's definitely going to stay where it is. we'll be sure to duck tape it down good so it wont move (and fall on a duck)

You know some greenpeace/ tread lightly DB is gonna ask why werent you using a tree strap? BTW I will bring the beer If you have a Public showing of your toyota yoyo cliff stunt :thumbup
eh, it's pretty obviously on private property though. If we do any "stunts" involving a tree in a public place we'll use a strap of some sort (or at least a padded grappling hook) i hadn't really thought about the chain scuffing the tree beforehand. it just chewed up the bark a little anyway, no serious damage.

I agree.

You're friend would be in a terrible position if that chain were to break.

ok ok.. every keeps saying this.. it seems chains are no longer popular, and strap type things are.. well it may be true that if the top of the chain broke it would snap back a bit, but i don't think we were anywhere close to the breaking point of the chain to do this (the 1.5 ton chain hoist lifted the truck pretty easily, for instance)

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YEE HAW :beer.....It would have been more fun to weld up a new cage...On a real trcuk lol...IMO...:whiteflag

Yeah.. well i'll be building a "nice" cage/tube body on my bronco pretty soon (in replacement of the destroyed body and the shitty exo-cage it has now)

also a "nice" exo on that supercharged explorer if i ever get it running.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
although we did have an idea, which is a harpoon style grappling hook, on about 30 feet of cable... which we could fire at a tree (high, at the 9:00 or 3:00 position from the truck), it would wrap around it/hook on a limb, and as the cable went tight it would swing the truck up/around the tree.... so we're working on rigging this up right now, then we're going to find a cliff (just a small one i know of, about 15 feet) and the plan is to drive straight at the cliff, grappling hook the tree, swing around it 180 degrees (in mid air over the cliff), and land on the other side and continue driving away from the cliff, at the instant of landing, a quick release will release the cable so the truck is no longer tied to the tree.

PLEASE! Please video and post this,Spidey.

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
Yeah.. well i'll be building a "nice" cage/tube body on my bronco pretty soon (in replacement of the destroyed body and the shitty exo-cage it has now)

also a "nice" exo on that supercharged explorer if i ever get it running.
Keep us updated on the blow exploder, please! I have been interested since you first mentioned it :toothless

·
Registered
112 Posts
Be sure and film it from the other side of cliff. If every thing goes as planned, ( the grappling hook into a tree may need to sited in 1st, careful on that quick release trigger)ha ha, chance are you won't make it all the way around to the other side. If you live, you could submitt it to AFHV. Be careful!

·
Registered
83 Posts
This I have got to see. Good luck with it. You could be the next YouTube sensation.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep us updated on the blow exploder, please! I have been interested since you first mentioned it :toothless
Oh, i will. it's been on hold a little as i've been low on cash lately. but i'll be working on it again soon (possibly tomorrow) it's turned from a turbo on the stock 4.0 to a supercharged 3.8L with an AOD. that engine + trans is sitting in it, but i need to modify the frame crossmember under the engine to get the engine to sit in there as low as i want it to. once the obstacle of mounting the engine is done, it should be running in relatively short order.

This I have got to see. Good luck with it. You could be the next YouTube sensation.
well, i wasn't entirely serious about the grappling hook stunt.. although we may try something involving a long tow strap and a tree.... yes yes, tow strap instead of chain for safety as well as not to jack up the tree)

we've been kicking around some ideas. haha.. as for youtube sensation, that would be awesome, but i only crank out a couple videos a month, which i dont think is really enough (of course if i became popular i'd get busy and make some more)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts