Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery warning light on the dashboard intermittently flickers, stays on, goes off during normal driving.

The alternator charging voltage is high 22V.
The battery open circuit is 18.4V.
The voltage drop on the alternator ground is 0.01V.

What is the problem here?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not sure if your year has an internal regulator in the alternator, but it probably does. Offhand I'd say it isn't working. I sure wouldn't drive it that way, unless you want to change all your burned up electronics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:

Multimeter battery was bad.

The alternator charging voltage is high 22V 14.31V.
The battery open circuit is 18.4V 12.50V.

Battery voltage looks good.
Charging voltage looks good.

I believe the alternator is the Ford 2G style.

The battery warning light still flickers on/off during driving. Why?

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs. 94 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/1356/3.50 gears.
358 Posts
Are all of your main connections clean, corrosion free, and tight?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are all of your main connections clean, corrosion free, and tight?
Thank you for the suggestion -- that fixed it!

The alternator wiring had come into contact with the EGR piping and melted the insulation.
I could hear arcing when looking under the hood.

Electrical tape around the wiring and a zip tie to keep the wires sorted was the fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 Bronco
17 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion -- that fixed it!

The alternator wiring had come into contact with the EGR piping and melted the insulation.
I could hear arcing when looking under the hood.

Electrical tape around the wiring and a zip tie to keep the wires sorted was the fix.

View attachment 163718

View attachment 163723

View attachment 163721

View attachment 163722
As the battery light only regulates the alternator (if manufacturers put a picture of an alternator on your dash to light up everyone would be wtf is this round thing) Anyway alternators can fail in stages resulting in a flickering. Better to test alternator with a load on the vehicle. But sounds like you fixed the connections.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
That alternator harness is still being made, I would suggest you replace it. If you don't have a 3g alternator, change it to a 130 amp 3g. From the picture I see it looks like you do have a 3g but I cant see good enough.

If you upgrade the alternator, also upgrade the battery wiring and alternator charge wiring to 1/0 gauge. Remember that the stock alternator power cable has a fuseable link connector that connects to the starter solenoid. You will need to install a mega fuse rated at 10% over the alternator rating in the charge line to prevent setting the truck on fire in case something bad happens.

If your alternator harness looks like this, it's a 3g alternator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts