Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 302 w/ AOD. Apparently new brakes all around a couple years ago, LSD installed in front? Gears changed (unknown from what to what), WARN manual hubs...

So my buddy bought this truck from a guy who said he had just done a complete engine rebuild less than 20k miles prior. He ended up selling it to a friend. So called friend let it pretty much sit, topless, in the Texas winter/summers for 2 years barely driving it. Buddy bought it back from friend, and now I bought it from buddy...

When I bought it it was puking fluids from every possible orifice so I just figured replacing as many gaskets/seals would probably be the prudent thing to do. Now I'm wondering while I'm at it, is there anything else I should do?

I'm asking because apparently the guy who rebuilt it was a complete utter dumbass.. Valve covers are leaking horribly: enough to make smoke come out of the engine bay after 30 seconds of running, and an oil pool has formed at the rear passenger side. All 12 valve cover bolts could be removed by hand, no ratchet needed..

So far I've got the valve covers removed, going to remove the heads on Saturday and replace those gaskets. Along with pretty much every gasket on the way back up (bought a Felpro engine gasket kit) including all front accessories. PCV valve, all water hoses.. New fuel injector o rings (can't find those damn filters ANYWHERE) Bought replacement silicone hoses to replace all the old cracked plastic vacuum lines. Figured since i've got the top half of the engine off, it'd be a good time to do the oil pan gasket and pump with the extra clearance sans upper intake. Also doing transmission pan gasket and putting a drain plug in.

Anything else you guys can think of to replace while I've got all this crap already removed? I don't want to just buy parts because I can... But I also don't want to remove ALL of this again to fix something that is a no brainer because of the extra space/room I've got.

Can't tell if i need a new rear main seal or not, due to the amount of oil that was leaking from the valve covers (passenger side literally had NO gasket left). So I'd rather avoid removing the tranny and all the work that would entail. Saw some threads about being able to replace the seal through the oil pan. Is that advisable?

Trying to source a Saginaw p/s pump somewhere, but so far no luck (anybody have one for sale?). P/S leak was huge before, and hoping it was coming from the pump and not the gearbox. This engine bay and bottom area was so covered and crusted in so many fluids and sludge no way I could tell what all was leaking..

After all this stuff is back together and the truck runs awesome (hopefully), I'll be doing the MC and a brake check/bleed on all 4 sides, due to pedal dropping all the way to the floor and extremely limited braking. Then minor things like fixing the passenger window, identifying why nothing works on the dash short of the speedometer and gas gauge, and maybe installing a stereo/speakers.

Really I'm just doing my best to get this thing road worthy for a 1200 mile round trip for skiing in a month. Can anybody think of stuff that's (relatively) cheap and worth doing on a rig with unknown technical issues? Reliability is key. I want this to be the month that I spend in the garage, so I can move the Bronco *out* of the garage. Not fair that it spends its time in there while the GTO is in the driveway!

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I doubt if you can fix these problems in a month and have a reliable truck. If what you say is true you need to check the piston fit and rings and bearings etc. Just sealing the leaks is like sticking your head in the sand and hoping the problem goes away. I would pull that engine and take it apart. This will be fastest and easiest. Put a roof-rack on the GTO.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, I don't think it'll take that long. Taking vacation all next week and will pretty much be living in the garage. Plus a few more days off till it's time to go. The engine itself ran fine prior to me pulling everything apart, the gaskets and seals just have seemed to be crap.

If I wasn't able to get my GTO out of my driveway during the "blizzard" we had last winter in Dallas, I'm pretty sure there's no way it can make it up to the top of a snow covered mountain!

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
just take y good luckour time so you do it right the first time and dont miss something small.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yours sounds like mine. Guy told me all the seals were replaced a year ago yet it leaks out of everywhere an engine can leak from haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts