Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here goes. I have a 1990 Bronco with the 351. Just put headers on it. Been going well for a few weeks then all of a sudden... :smilie_slap:smilie_slap:smilie_slap

Starts up just fine runs good until it warms up... Then rpms go from 200 to 1500 and when it's put in gear, it has no power and it backfires. The check engine light flickers on and off everytime it stutters. If the check engine light stays on it seems to run ok, but as soon as the light goes out... engine stutters and light flickers. Ran computer codes got 26 & 31, others related to A/C... I know31 relates to EGR which now that I have headers, the tube from the exhaust to the EGR is no longer connected to the exhaust. I took the EGR off and started engine rpms ran at 3000. I put a metal plate over the EGR hole to see if that would help, problem still exists. I cleaned the EGR and thought I might have fixed it as it seemed to run ok, but 3-4 miles down the road problem was back... I would turn off engine and put in neutral while coasting, restart, and would get a few seconds of power to get up to speed so I could get it home.

I don't want to just start blindly replacing parts and throwing money at it... I'm not 100% convinced it's the EGR, due to the "removal and plate test"... SO I AM AT THIS POINT :banghead:banghead:banghead!! Anyone got a suggestion?????

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
The check engine light comes on when the engine is running rich or lean so by removing that stuff with the new headers I would be willing to bet its messing with your engines computer. Could be wrong though. Also what headers did you put on? I have heard that with headman and flowtech on broncos the gaskets have a tendency to leak quite often. I don't know how true that is but it's worth looking in to

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The headers are headman, and I bought an after market gasket. So no leaks to report. Guess I'm just going to have to replace the egr at $90 and see if that fixes it.....

·
Registered
845 Posts
when i replaced my headers i had the same rough misfire and high idle problem. i didnt have the check engine light thought cuz i kept my emissions stuff hooked up.

high idle problems were from many broken vacuum lines and the misfire was from the porcelain around the spark plugs were broken. your check engine light could possibly be from just the EGR not being hooked up but give the vacuum lines and plugs a check and let us know and we can go from there.

Good Luck. Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts